The Future of Steam and other launchers

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by angelgraves13, Mar 21, 2019.

?

Does EGS pose a risk to Steam?

1. Yes... It's about time Steam had competition.

23 vote(s)
    28.4%
  2. No... Steam or die!

29 vote(s)
    35.8%
  3. Don't care... It's all fun and games.

26 vote(s)
    32.1%
  4. Don't care... I'll go with whoever's left standing.

3 vote(s)
    3.7%
  1. SerotoNiN

SerotoNiN Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080
    LMFAO!

2. coc

coc Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070GTX
    well.. my honest opinion about this thing is that Epic did not prepare for every outcome. the specific statement -
    "permanent 88% IF* steam committed" makes this entire issue with Epic and the exclusives very odd.

its almost as if Epic admits that exclusives are a BAD choice and its looking a way out of it for
    the sake of the PC community worldwide. but why they are using Steam split-shares as the reason for
    using exclusives the first place ? Steam gave them no choice ?

lets see how it plays out till the End of the year. i might be wrong, but my logic tells me
    Epic are not happy with their choices, probably reflected in sales\income or even lawsuits behind the scenes.
    i can't tell for sure.

Kolt and lucidus like this.
  3. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    But would, or should anyone believe them?

They've also said they wouldn't do what they did with Metro Exodus again, only to do it again... then a week later say, "We're gonna keep doing it"

Kolt and RzrTrek like this.
  4. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    I don't believe them either, what's in it for them in that scenario? They are just trying to do the good guy stuff as that crap appears to work on many people.

Epic's long term model is to spend years taking abuse, but hoping to slowly wear people down while also attracting new PC gamers who may have never heard of Steam.

I doubt they can promise that last minute exclusivity wont happen again either, i wonder if devs/publishers are going to Epic when pre-order sales are less than expected?
    Could this essentially be a way to blackmail people into pre-ordering? Don't pre-order, then we take it off Steam.

Kolt and Netherwind like this.

5. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    This is just Tim trying to shift the focus of the blame.

A lot of the community is upset with Epic and the practice of fragmenting the PC community more with exclusives.
    By Tim saying "well, it Valve/Steam do this... we'll stop doing this"... is a cheap way of trying to spin the blame over the Valve.

Now, when Valve doesn't meet the revenue split Tim proposed he can simply say "It's Valve's fault for the exclusives, we offered to stop... blah, blah"
    It's a very childish and lazy way to trying to spin the blame.

Kolt and lucidus like this.
  6. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    There is nothing childish about it, it's a deliberate business decision.

7. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    Yes, it's deliberate. There's no denying that.

Yet, instead of actually fixing what is upsetting people, it's trying to push the upset onto someone else so you are no longer responsible.
    That is what children do.

Tim knows fully well Valve can't simply up and change their revenue split. To do something like that would take time, a lot of restructuring how the manage that money, pay fees and other expenses.

Kolt likes this.
  8. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    What's upsetting people is that they can't buy all their games on Steam. This is not something that Epic can fix (the only "fix" is for the EGS to fail).

9. MaLDo

MaLDo Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080
    You don't understand the issue.

There is no need to EGS failing because games can be available in steam too.

I mean, a game can be for sale in every store. No rocket science. Let's fight with discounts, features and so on.... like, you know, good competition practiques.

fantaskarsef likes this.
  10. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA XCUltra 2080Ti
    UT was co developped with community with full project / source code available. Just never got enough traction.

11. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    Yeah, they couldn't make it profitable with giving it an exclusive deal up front :D

Honestly, if EGS manages to put in at least the needed security features, at this point, I'd give it a go. But implementing basic email checks for accounts in 2019 shows they either have not put enought thought into it, or that they didn't care about it in the first place.
    Good though that Sweeney posts they got 250 million accounts when some of them (and probably not just 10 accounts) are actually fake / dead / leaked credentials.

12. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
    If epic sold epic cards at a retail store like EB games to put credit onto the fortni.. I mean epic launcher store It would at least be accessible to me.

With that said would I give it a try?... no.

RzrTrek likes this.
  13. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    They're trying to shape the conversation away from them. Valve was right to stay quiet and let these idiots carry on being themselves.

I'll give EGS freebies a try when they stop shortening the lives of their workers by 12%.

Kolt and fantaskarsef like this.
  14. SerotoNiN

SerotoNiN Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080
    As opposed to the games you do support where the workers flourish? Talk about picking and choosing what you want to see.

15. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    Again, that will result in the EGS failing. Steam users have made it very clear: they want all their games under one store. All this talk about features is a distraction - even if the EGS had feature parity, most Steam users would continue to use Steam in order to avoid splitting up their game library. Price won't matter either, since Steam has frequent sales - if you want a game for cheaper, just wait for a sale.

I'm a Steam users myself and share this sentiment - Steam is always my first choice, and I only use other launchers for exclusives. If given the choice between Steam and the EGS, I would pick Steam every single time. The idea that the EGS could succeed simply by offering similar features and price is a complete fantasy.

16. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    You're assuming all of the Steam users feel the same way though. Obviously with the amount of people that use EGS aside from Steam, not everyone feels that way.

Kolt likes this.
  17. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    I use the EGS for exclusives (specifically, Metro Exodus, but other upcoming exclusive titles as well). Like I said, I use other launchers for exclusives, but if given the choice, I prefer Steam.

18. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Honestly I just prefer what I have the most games on. Given that Steam is the biggest platform for that, I tend to use Steam more. Now I really don't use any of the features of any launcher if I'm going to be honest. I just launch my games and play. Communication I use Discord, and if the game supports it invite through Discord.

I want Discord as the biggest platform now lol.

19. Stone Gargoyle

Stone Gargoyle Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
    epic by now are not even mildly contemplating that the fortnite bubble will and must eventually or at least gradually burst and they will be left with high costs with a completely unsustainable store that could see them go from king of the money hill to right back where they were before it all took off if not even worse off still. buy all the exclusives you want all of it is nothin more than a quick here is what you want and only here strong arm tactic to force EGS on to our machines and why would we with all the lack of features and protection worries surroundin it??? you cant push inferior no matter how hard you may try or how deep your pockets are.

steam is and always shall be my platform of choice with my five hundred game catalogall right there to install or uninstall as i see fit i dont use gog i dont use blizzard i dont use bethesda and I def will never touch EGS as the only game i would even want on it right now is Metro and im perfectly fine waiting that one out. i use uplay and origin of course cos they are directly tied to my currently most frequently played games Odyssey and Battlefront.

i know i cant really add anythin more than whats already been covered but when i go out for milk I go out and get it from somewhere with the best deal and most familiar/reliable brand even if it means going further out of my way to get at it. when i cant find it I put it off until I can after all its what ive stuck to for years and what works best for me as a milk lover. if a milkman knocked on my door tomorrow and said hey now you can only buy your milk from me at an inflated price and possibilities of it being half drunk before delivered id drop milk from my shopping list and buy me a cow,. if thats a crap anology i am sorry it popped in my head and sounded good at the time lol

Last edited: Apr 26, 2019
  20. Archvile82

Archvile82 Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 2080ti FE
    Many of the steam features that are available I will bet that 15-20 % of users actually use them.

IMO only steam features worth caring about is the DS4 pad support and family sharing.

I don't know why epic and steam cannot co exist. Nothing wrong with each store offering different content and if a gamer is in interested in that content you buy it like any consumer product.

I read about security issues or concerns and still think half of that is incompetence on the user side. As soon as I signed up I checked all options and done 2 step verification and now if I sign out or try accessing my account from anywhere else I'd get a code emailed to me like steam.

Looking on from the outside gamers come across as really embarrassing with some of their arguments or over entitled or even spoilt. I'm not sure how this behavior manifests but maybe it's a share of PC users feel it's a personal experience ( self building to self configuration) and of nothing conforms to their ideology they get bent out of shape.

Just like the MK11 PC community over on steam. No patience just react and crap talk a product to the point of damaging it and scaring of potential customers. The only real issue of MK11 is late release of balance patch and overly difficult towers leading to a grind. You think family have been murder the way they carry on.

But anyway as a gamers since the mid 80s who was poor I used to buy budget cassettes from the local off license. The big games you had to do a long journey out of town and buy from the big retailers. I never kicked ot screamed, just had to wait for a birthday and my parents would take me out for the day and buy me a collection of the big games at said retailers.

frack me times have changed. Sorry for rant but that's my thoughts.