The Future of Steam and other launchers

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by angelgraves13, Mar 21, 2019.

?

Does EGS pose a risk to Steam?

1. Yes... It's about time Steam had competition.

20 vote(s)
    28.2%
  2. No... Steam or die!

28 vote(s)
    39.4%
  3. Don't care... It's all fun and games.

21 vote(s)
    29.6%
  4. Don't care... I'll go with whoever's left standing.

2 vote(s)
    2.8%
  1. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    RTX 2070FE
    At this point, do you think Gabe does? Where's Half Life 3? Where's LFD3? How about CSGO and TF2 going F2P with nothing real to show for it for those who paid for the games?

Also, you're taking those words out of context. That doesn't mean that Epic will not put out a launcher with features and that's stable, there's even a whole roadmap for it. Features take time to code, time to test, time to find bugs, time to iron out bugs, and then develop over and over and over until it's fit for release. That's not going to be done in one day, it took Steam about 15 years for the features to come. But tell me, if Sweeney or Epic in this case did not care about customers, why would Epic invest so much in the community? Why would Epic put out free tools and learning materials for UE4? You have to realize, Epic putting money into grants and developers does not just benefit themselves, it benefits the gaming community. People can learn how to use their engine, kids can have have grants for their schools to get the right tools and technology to learn, developers that did not have money to develop games or pay employees can now do so. It's more than just gaming at this point and more investing in the community as a whole, which I am completely okay with. Let's remember, Epic is investing in all of this but developers who take the money, grants that are used to technology in schools and local centers, scholarships to help pay kids for tuition for game and 3d design, they are not obligated to stay within the Epic ecosystem. They can develop anything they want to, use that learning to go towards anything, or technology even to help code the next big seller on Steam even.

2. BangTail

BangTail Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    I'm not sure why you keep going back to Steam, this hasn't got anything to do with Steam.

Steam does not force me to shop there.

Steam does not poach games from other platforms.

And you don't determine Sweeney's context any more than I do, you may interpret it differently, but you certainly do not determine it.

If you are happy with the EGS and the things Epic are doing, then have at it.

I'm not, and I'm not going to be, so we'll agree to disagree :)

Kolt likes this.
  3. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia Titan Xp
    Have you read the thread title and the OP's post? I was responding directly to the OP's concerns for the most part with my post, and much of that was about Steam and EGS exclusives.

As I said in my previous post, developers are going to do what's best for them. The fact that they are allowing EGS to purchase exclusivity from them, demonstrates that they believe that's the best course of action for them to earn the greatest amount of profits.

And there's nothing wrong with a developer wanting to make more money.

The question is, why should WE care? Why should PC gamers care if EGS poach games from Steam and other distribution clients? If the developers make a poor decision by doing this and offend consumers, they will suffer from less profits to be sure and will have to rectify their business model.

But if their profits increase, then by all means they probably made the right decision. To most PC gamers, this will likely be a non issue. The PC platform has so many distribution clients already, what's one more? And EGS looks like it will eventually be a great and worthy competitor for Steam.

4. vbetts

GPU:
    RTX 2070FE
    Neither does Epic Store. Epic Store does not force you to shop there, and Steam didn't have to poach. Steam was the only service developers could actually utilize for certain features. Problem is Valve got really comfortable with that, made a number of choices with reviews devs and consumers didn't like, and upped the fee per sale. So what are they suppose to do? Some developers can take that hit, others can't. Activision could have, but decided to just skip out on Steam completely and it didn't hurt BO4 sales at all. And developers that do take that money, let's be real if someone offers a business a lump sum of money for exclusive rights, as a business decision you would be dumb to not take that.

We can still play the game, we are still not tied to a single ecosystem that's closed off, either way we lose nothing on this.

5. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
  6. BangTail

BangTail Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    Yes it does, if you want to play Exodus, you have to buy it on the Epic store.

Now one might argue that you don't have to buy it, and that is a fair argument, but if you want to buy it on PC, that is the choice you are forced to make.

Steam could have easily forced exclusivity to put places like GOG or GMG out of business, they didn't.

Money isn't everything (well, for some people it is).

For small indie developers, the ramifications of a cash infusion are certainly far harder to ignore but AAA publishers such as Ubisoft or Koch are doing just fine, their consideration is not money, it's more money, and for people like them, there is simply never enough.

Kolt and lucidus like this.
  7. vbetts

GPU:
    RTX 2070FE
    But Steam does not own developers. Developers are not obligated to Steam, they are free to do what they want to with their titles. If developers are offered money and they take it, that's the developers decision to do so.

It would be one thing if Epic forced you to only have the EGS store installed on your device, but it doesn't. You are free to download any launcher you want to.

8. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    If the people who distribute the hamburger patties agree to only sell to this new restaurant, then that's tough luck for the two other chains. If they wanted to continue to sell hamburgers then they should have negotiated a better deal.

No it doesn't. Any PC gamer can buy and play Metro Exodus by buying the game on the Epic store - despite being an "exclusive", nobody is actually excluded (the only ones who are excluded are those who willingly exclude themselves). Stop trying to making it seem like this is some huge barrier to gaming.

That's because they don't need to. It's only small stores which need to go for things like exclusives.

TheDeeGee likes this.
  9. vbetts

GPU:
    RTX 2070FE
  10. BangTail

BangTail Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    I suspect you're being willfully ignorant.

You are being forced to use their storefront and their launcher to buy and play games that they have either poached from other services and/or paid to have locked to their Storefront.

Are you even serious with your last statement, I'm not going to waste my time responding :rolleyes:

lucidus likes this.

11. vbetts

GPU:
    RTX 2070FE
    So now that you don't have anything viable to say, the insults come out. Got it. Having an adult argument is too much to ask for I guess.

But hey, that sounds like most games on other platforms as well, yet no one bats an eye at that.

But let me also remind you, insults are not going to go far here.

12. BangTail

BangTail Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    What?

So now you are accusing me of insulting you because I said I wasn't going to respond to a comment that I didn't think merited an answer?

And further you are using the fact you are a mod to threaten me.

Whatever dude, we're done.

lucidus likes this.
  13. vbetts

GPU:
    RTX 2070FE
    Right there.

14. BangTail

BangTail Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    That is not an insult, it's an observation.

All it means is that you are ignoring what is in front of you on purpose, it is certainly not insulting in any way.

At any rate, we're done.

lucidus likes this.
  15. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    It's just like twitter "harassment" :D

Backstabak and BangTail like this.

16. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
    Can't we just agree on that if EGS didn't do these exclusive deals, then it would be fair competition to Steam? If EGS was a feature rich launcher and they still had the 12% cut then that alone would probably over time make more people to switch over from Steam?

The big problem here are broken promises by the publishers/devs and forcing customers to pick EGS when the launcher is about to leave the stone age in terms of technology/features.

lucidus and BangTail like this.
  17. BangTail

BangTail Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    Exactly this.

lucidus likes this.
  18. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Damn straight.

THere's a reason why I have close to a hundred games on Gog but ignore origin and will ignore EGS.

BangTail likes this.
  19. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    Probably not. Most gamers want their games under a single launcher and probably wouldn't give Epic a moment's look if they could just buy it on Steam (I know I wouldn't). Steam is always my first choice when it comes to buying games, and if I had the free choice I would pick Steam every single time.

The idea that Epic having feature parity with Steam would gradually make Steam users switch over is a fantasy. Would Steam users abandon their favorite store just for the devs to make more money? Based on what I've seen so far, the answer is a clear no.

It's the games I care about, not the launcher. I don't really care if I have to use Steam, Origin, Uplay or Epic - as long as the game is good and the launcher doesn't impede my ability to buy and play the game, I have no problem with it.

20. Embra

Embra Master Guru

GPU:
    Vega 64 Nitro+LE
    I think it is more like if the developers did not make the deal with epic you may see some of these games on steam.
    Developers are not forced to sign anything unless they have a contract, which they still would have signed.