The Future of Steam and other launchers

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by angelgraves13, Mar 21, 2019.

?

Does EGS pose a risk to Steam?

1. Yes... It's about time Steam had competition.

20 vote(s)
    28.2%
  2. No... Steam or die!

28 vote(s)
    39.4%
  3. Don't care... It's all fun and games.

21 vote(s)
    29.6%
  4. Don't care... I'll go with whoever's left standing.

2 vote(s)
    2.8%
  1. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    Again, the use of the word is incorrect - a threat is the possibility or likelihood of something unwanted happening if you don't comply. It does not mean doing something unwanted. Epic isn't threatening to lock up games in their store, they're already doing it.

The use of this word is flat out wrong to describe what Epic is doing. In no way are they threatening gamers by making games exclusive to their store.

2. angelgraves13

angelgraves13 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti FE
    Best thing anyone can do at the moment is just to boycott Epic for timed exclusives. Let them actually release some games they partnered on as an exclusive before making a purchase. One that wasn't Steam bound.

If Epic really wants shoppers for their store, they need to offer a lot more games. If they offered all the games that Steam did, I'd have no issues with them existing. Instead, they're making exclusivity deals because they have no games, and thus nobody has any business shopping there. Stop the exclusives and have about four thousand more games. Earn your customers....don't steal them.

3. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    RTX 2070FE
    EGS is new. Do you think Steam had a vast amount of games the first year of its release?

SerotoNiN and Kolt like this.
  4. Kolt

Kolt Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 OC
    Wow.. the amount if mental gymnastics going on just to try and win an argument again over syntax/definition is insane here. If we don't comply to Epic and use the launcher we don't get to play the game for a year (legally). That is literally "possibility or likelihood of something unwanted happening if you don't comply" Again.. the word is subjective, but even you are proving my point.

Seriously man, give it a rest lol.

EDIT: To add.. I'm going to assume that to keep going on and on over the definition of the word "threat" is basically admitting that I was right and derailing this is all about redirecting the fact that you were wrong all along. Let's not argue about a word when everyone knows what is being said, ok?

Last edited: Mar 27, 2019

5. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    That's kinda my point, no one can compete with Steam at the moment as it has too much of a head start. Without gimmicks/exclusives/threats no one will use it.

I dislike Steam, but all things equal and given the choice of picking between completing my Metro collection on Steam or starting fresh on EPG, i would pick Steam.

It doesn't look like anyone is willing to increase the price on Steam either, publisher too scared to or do Valve restrict them?

6. Kolt

Kolt Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 OC
    Agree to an extent, but like we said before Epic has enough money (clearly) to have done this a lot better. Not pull games from stores last minute. Put that money towards a great client before making exclusives. etc etc. I don't think Epic was thinking too much about the customers and were thinking too much about the end game. You need to get past the start of the game first before you get to the end game.

7. Redemption80

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Making a great client wouldn't be enough, if Steam was rebranded as EGS people would still pick Steam.

Epic clearly saw how big PC gaming was getting and wanted in on the action.

We just have different ways of looking at the same situation, i don't believe people will switch unless the choice is taken away from them.

8. Kolt

Kolt Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 OC
    Nothing wrong with that at all. I appreciate your understanding and willingness to talk about it though :)

SerotoNiN likes this.
  9. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 2070 Super
    Basic human nature we will stick with what we know for the sake of simplicity even in instances were the end result ends up costing you more. Their are countless studies and anyone who's had to manage a team will tell you how difficult it can be to introduce new concepts, even if they are better, to a team or group of individuals who are set in their process and procedures.

and Steam is as guilty as Epic, and kinda proves the point I made above. People view Steam with Rose tinted glasses. Valve locked HL2 behind the Steam wall and this was back in the day when folk were still using 56k dial up so installing and updating Steam was not a two second job as it is now it was a massive pain in the ass. They took one of the most anticipated games of the time and 'threatened' (since for some reason we are using stupid terminology to describe what these guys are doing) to stop you from playing the game unless you installed and used their service. They got publishers on board because they provided an update service and hosting that meant that publishers didn;t have to deal with that nonsense any more but more importantly they provided an online DRM check of the games that used the service. Yup Steam started it's life as nothing more than a DRM system that publishers could use to help stop folk from copying their games. By today's standards it is laughably ineffective but back then it was as good an option as anything else and if the game you bought needed Steam to be installed to activate it and you didn't then TS you didn't get to play the game.

Steam was just as bad when it comes to this 'threat' 'holding people to hostage' BS and for some weird reason people just seem to forget this. Yes they had some sales and yes they were quite good but the reality is those days are gone. What feature should Epic use to attract people to their service? Being cheaper doesn't always work as I have already pointed out above, you also have sites like GMG that already undercut Steam anyway, how do they make the service better it's taken Valve nearly two decades to get to where they are which given how bad Steam is is worth a topic all by itself. What Epic has done is what ANY new entry to a market, especially one that is being dominated by one competitor. You can try and do everything as well or better as they can but like I said their are a multitude of reasons why this won't always work or you can be super aggressive in one or two very specific areas and locking exclusive titles to their DFS and offering a sizeable sign up as well as cut to publisher is exactly that it is super aggressive.

SerotoNiN likes this.
  10. SerotoNiN

SerotoNiN Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080
    Or options re: friends, rewards, etc.
    The Steam bias is insane to me. I never knew people would get so defensive about which heartless corp takes your money. Jesus.

11. SerotoNiN

SerotoNiN Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080
    With this idea, I hope you don't play games only on consoles then. Or, if you own consoles, I hope you skip such titles like Uncharted and Last of Us.....cause exclusive...wait...I'm sure you have a great excuse for this...or "I don't play consoles". But the idea is there. No one says boo when Sony or MS have an exclusive title. Why are you so invested in where your content comes from? And also can we trade lives, yours seems vastly less adult or stressful with these things plaguing your daily.

12. angelgraves13

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti FE
    Well I've got 15 years invested in Steam and in my mid-30's. Maybe someone in their 20's wouldn't care as much.

13. Kono

Kono Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 / 8GB
    I was in the same angry gamer wagon like everyone else when Metro Exodus exclusive was announced. Then suddenly, I realized that I forgot ONE of my major philosophy in life, "competition is good for the consumer." Now, I don't mind EPIC exclusive at all. I'll buy the game there if the price is right.

14. Redemption80

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    I'm was pretty much the same, and i'm pushing 40,
    Then i took a step back got annoyed at myself for buying a game again just to have it on my Steam collection and decided it was nonsense and kinda cult like.

People will never break the habit unless they go cold turkey.

15. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    I'm almost 40 and I've been using Steam since HL2. Steam is always my first choice, it's just that I'm not averse to using another launcher if I need to (like Origin or Uplay). For me, it comes down to the game, and if I really want to play it then I'll download whatever I need (as long as it doesn't cost me extra).

16. Redemption80

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Anyone remember the days when PC games were alot cheaper than console games because we didn't have a third party taking a large cut of every copy sold?

17. Backstabak

Backstabak Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 5700xt
    The thing is cheaper prices aren't a new concept. I might agree if they provided new service where the use could be questionable, but they provide none.

Saying just that anything besides steam will be ignored is very convenient for your argument, but it's obviously false, as there are other shops and storefronts and all of them are profitable. All of them compete with each other, except EGS who got out of that competition by making games on their store exclusive.

Kolt likes this.
  18. Redemption80

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Obviously false how? There is no 100% correct view on this and to claim otherwise is a lie.

My opinion is based on comments from many many people, and that is the overriding sentiment.

Why in your opinion are Epic choosing to make games exclusive?

19. angelgraves13

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti FE
    $50 in 2004 is not the same as $50 in 2019. I think the gaming industry is losing money everyday because everything is going up. Rent, salaries, taxes, and so on. They're still charging about the same for a game now as they were a decade ago. I expect games to cost $80 in the next few years, and that's just going to be the standard version.

20. Redemption80

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    The price now wasn't my point, it was how much the gap between PC and console game prices has narrowed.

Console games were about £40 10 years ago, they are about £45 now. PC games were around £25 but now are £40. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a similar shift up in the US.
    I have spent zero time researching it but, i clearly remember the outcry about the average price jumping form $40-$50-$60 for PC games.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2019