The Future of Steam and other launchers

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by angelgraves13, Mar 21, 2019.

?

Does EGS pose a risk to Steam?

1. Yes... It's about time Steam had competition.

23 vote(s)
    28.4%
  2. No... Steam or die!

29 vote(s)
    35.8%
  3. Don't care... It's all fun and games.

26 vote(s)
    32.1%
  4. Don't care... I'll go with whoever's left standing.

3 vote(s)
    3.7%
  1. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    That "fallout" being registering and downloading another launcher, which is not a painful, injurious, damaging or hostile action. Again, this is not consistent with the definition.

Epic hurting your feelings/ego has nothing to do with a threat. Many gamers are choosing not to use the EGS and instead wait a year until it's released on Steam, which is a perfectly valid response. Nobody is forcing you to download the Epic launcher or buy these games, nor is anyone threatening you to make you comply.

A person holding a gun to your head and demanding your wallet is a threat. A person/company saying you need to download a piece of software to play a game is not a threat (this is basically just another requirement). You need to understand the difference between the two.

2. Kolt

Kolt Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 OC
    Technically speaking, a threat can be interpreted as you said "other hostile action on someone in retribution for something done or not done".

According to the Merriam-Webster dictionary, Hostile can be defined by the following:

1 | A. Of or relating to an enemy
    B. Marked by malevolence : having or showing unfriendly feelings
    C: Openly opposed or resisting
    D: 1) Not hospitable
    2) Having an intimidating, antagonistic, or offensive nature

2 | A. Of or relating to the opposing party in a legal controversy
    B. Adverse to the interests of a property owner or corporation management

Does not have to be injuring or damaging. You could easily apply one here..

But that's not all.. According to Merriam-Webster again, threat can be defined as the following:

1: An expression of intention to inflict evil, injury, or damage
    2: One that threatens
    3: An indication of something impending

You could pick one of those. Here's how they define "threatens" : https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/threatens

Also, the Cambridge dictionary states that a threat can be: "The possibility that something unwanted will happen, or a person or thing that is likely to cause something unwanted to happen" Try spinning that one...
    https://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/dictionary/english/threat.

My point here? Some of you guys are just arguing for the sake of arguing and nitpicking for the sake of nitpicking. Let it go already.

INSTG8R likes this.
  3. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    You really want to do this? Absolutely none of that applies to the EGS! Epic did not show unfriendly or malevolent action towards gamers, not were they inhospitable or intimating. They simply said if you want to play these games, you need to download our launcher - which is about as non-hostile as one can imagine (this is nothing like a robber holding a gun to your head or a hacker holding your personal data hostage).

As for "possibility that something unwanted will happen" - the games have already been moved to the EGS so this doesn't apply. If you're talking about downloading the Epic launcher, it also doesn't apply - as someone who actually did this, I can assure you that nothing unwanted happened; in fact, I got many hours of enjoyment in Metro Exodus and I'm looking forward to more hours of enjoyment with The Outer Worlds and Borderlands 3.

This basically boils down to: download the Epic launcher = hostile action. Do I really need to point out how ridiculous this is?

4. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    And as such, a "gamer" can make the choice to say "F Epic" and not download their launcher.
    As you say, it's as simple as that.

Nobody is trying to say using another launcher is difficult, a threat to health or anything so ludicrous or laughable. People are expressing their upset at the choice that has been removed from them in regards to a few select titles.
    And, it is their right to do so. Specially when some of these titles were announced and advertised as "Steam" games.

I'm expressing my distaste with Epic's lazy and shady practices in acquiring "exclusives" and their cheapness in trying to cut corners to "match up" with Steam.
    And, I won't be purchasing anything from their service simply because I've made my decision not to support them.

But, Epic are not doing the industry any favors. They are not helping "make things better" or calling Steam out on anything.
    They are acting like spoiled children who are upset because someone (Valve) has something better then them, and instead of trying to earn something as good... they expect everyone to just give it to them.

Kolt, INSTG8R and cerebus23 like this.

5. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1070
    People take this waaaaaay too serious.

Not to mention a while ago people got fed up with Steams monopoly.

Actions are being taken now to shake things up, and people are already fed up again.

6. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
    This may be a stupid question, but what games does Epic itself have coming out soon?

From the top of my head I cannot think of anything.

emperorsfist and INSTG8R like this.
  7. BlackZero

BlackZero Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX Vega
    Get a room.

8. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
    Looks like Devolver Digital is another developer to have been purchased by Epic.... to be honest I'm legitimately surprised about this one.

They even removed the page for the game from steam completely.

Observation being the game.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/906100/Observation/

It now just redirects to Steam front page.

9. emperorsfist

emperorsfist Maha Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1080 8Gb
    Hmm, never heard of that game. So much for that "we'll never do that again" by Epic in regards how Metro got pulled after already being sold on Steam in preorders. Oh well, maybe it was DD's initiative.

10. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
    Something to keep an eye on is Serious Sam 4, no release date yet... Devolver Digital is the publisher and it has a Steam page with the most recent update on it being March 22

https://store.steampowered.com/app/257420/Serious_Sam_4_Planet_Badass/

11. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    As D3M1G0D mentioned, it's between the DD services and the publishers.

Valve wound have to make an offer to the publishers to be able sell their game, and not just say pay the 30% or else.

No one is saying Epic are doing this for the good of PC gaming, they are obviously just cashing in, but the more games that are off Steam the better.

12. Backstabak

Backstabak Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 5700xt
    In that case the competition must be atrocious that customers are willing to pay more just to use a different store.

Your gog remark is just an anecdotal evidence, your lost count is what, 5 people that you know and did this ?

And again, competition is fine, but that isn't what EGS is doing. By paying for exclusives they in fact compete with no one.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2019
    Kolt and INSTG8R like this.
  13. emperorsfist

emperorsfist Maha Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1080 8Gb
    I feel like it has to be said again, since it seem that it's being conveniently forgotten: The cheaper prices on Epic are for the USA, nowhere else. Here in Europe, for example, the prices are identical to Steam's.

Kolt and INSTG8R like this.
  14. Kolt

Kolt Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 OC
    Wooosh. You missed the point even when I wrote it at the end. Who cares what the literal definition is when you know damn well what people are trying to say. You guys are arguing semantics and it's pathetic... You don't really have much of an argument when it turns into about semantics and petty stuff. When all you have is trying to defend a definition of a word and not the spirit of what is being said then you probably don't really have much at all.

"Hostile action" is subjective. I wouldn't personally call it that, but it's subjective and based off the definitions can be used here. Again.. move on and argue about something else because this is just petty. In a lot of debates the loser usually starts going off about stuff that doesn't really matter just to try and defend his point of view.

INSTG8R likes this.
  15. Redemption80

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    They are willing to pay more because they don't want to use anything else.
    Wouldn't be surprised if a certain amount of OCD is playing a part, all the Metro games in one place, except one.

The Witcher 3 is a top seller on Steam, alot of people have chosen to give less to the developer and add a layer of DRM.

Exclusive software is part of competition, the console businesss, particularly Sony's, is built around that way of doing things.

16. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    Yes, but if you buy a PS4 game you don't have to worry about which store you buy it from to play it on your PS4.
    Same with any console title.

This is not a matter of trying to define or draw interest to a platform. This is splintering an already fractured platform user base even more.
    Xbox, Sony, Nintendo... you buy a Xbox game... you don't have to worry about which Xbox One you have, or if you bought it at Wal-Mart or Target. You can just go home and play it.

But, on PC... on our platform. We have to decide how many different ways to want to play our games.
    How many different "services" we have to install to be able to play a wide assortment of games on our one platform.

The console argument doesn't work.

INSTG8R and Kolt like this.
  17. Redemption80

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    It 100% works, there are no rules that dictate games must be available on all digital platforms. Steam would not be around if this were the case.

Sony use exclusive games as a way to attract you to use their hardware, while Epic and others are/can use exclusives as a way to attract you to their store.

Maybe im not understanding your explanation, but "I don't want multiple DD services installed" is a personal, not factual argument against exclusivity.

I'm not asking everyone to like it, but to claim it's not a way to get a competitive edge is a strange one.

18. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    Funny, I could have sworn that guys like @cerebus23 were saying it was technically correct, and here you are saying it's the "spirit" of it. You guys might want to get together and figure out where you stand :p

IMO, the reason why some people see the EGS as a threat is because it's a threat to Steam. The EGS is not a threat to gamers, but because it threatens Steam's dominance it's seen as a threat by Steam supporters, who then take it as a personal threat.

Console exclusives are a different thing though. To play a console exclusive, you need the particular hardware. With PC, the only thing you need to do is register and install a free launcher. The only thing that might be comparable on the PC is Linux and Mac (especially the latter). For Windows titles, any modern Windows system should be able to play it.

19. Redemption80

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    I know, Im just talking about Valve/Epic/EA/Ubisoft etc... and the business side of them signing deals with publishers to only use your store.

20. Kolt

Kolt Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 OC
    Actually I am saying that it is technically correct. I proved it with my post above.. My point is that even if you were correct, which you are technically wrong by the very English definition of the words, that it is still very petty to argue about semantics when you know the spirit of what is being said. This is not exactly just a US/English speaking forum board.. so it's kind of wrong in a sense to nitpick over small details when we all know what the guy is saying even if he was a little off. In this case the subjective use of the word threat has it's place where it was used. It is a strong word, so it can seem silly to those who don't feel the same.. but it doesn't make it wrong. It's a subjective word.

Epic is doing something unwanted and is moving forward with something unwanted to people. They are, technically speaking, threatening the ability to download a game on the platform some users may have chosen otherwise. It can be easily seen as a threat to individuals who want otherwise.

Again though, I agree that I personally wouldn't have used the word threat there.. but just because you don't like his use of the word doesn't mean it's wrong..