The Forest.

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by HonoredShadow, Nov 12, 2013.

1. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
    I haven't gotten right into it and explored recently but from what I understand they are still building the island... I think? The top half was veeeeeery unfinished when I last tried it.

I'm not sure how much is left to be added to the game, the one thing I did notice is that it is running much smoother now than it was last year.

I don't think you can finish the game yet "and yes the objective is find your son" although I am not completely sure.. I haven't been following development in detail.

It's certainly a fun game, although it might be better to wait until development is finished.

I think the reason they added multiplayer so early on was to keep people interested in development.

2. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800XT GamingX
    I don't think even the devs do anymore... ;)

IIRC it was supposed to be done ages ago, but they probably keep putting peoples ideas in and fixing broken things etc.

Gotcha. Craving for a survival/horror fix atm so will likely pick this up soon anyway.

Stranded Deep is another one I'm eyeing, but it has no enemies and no objective as such, both of which are present in The Forest.

I can't seem to be able to bring myself to play Dying Light anymore (100+ hrs spent on the first playthrough seemed to be enough) even with the DLC out.

Also own and have completed Miasmata and KHOLAT for example. Btw Miasmata is excellent as a survival sim/game, definitely recommended.
    It requires you to use your wits quite a bit, which I'd think is essential in a real-world survival scenario too.

3. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    Did they ever add multiplayer to this game?

4. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 1080TI
    One rare game that is actually decently developing and doing better and better.

5. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800XT GamingX
    Watched some letsplays and... I'm not sure.

While everything else seems promising, there seems to be a lot of grinding (=chopping down trees) involved.
    That's somewhat given in a survival game I think, but without the end game in place I feel there's no purpose to all that chop-chop.
    Okay, the point is to survive and explore but there should be some incentive to that. A person stranded on an island tries to survive in the hope one day he'll make it out.

Instead of thinking I'm stranded but no biggie, I'm also a level 50 tree chopper. IMO a survival game needs to have a crystal-clear objective and means to achieve it.
    Though these means can be as vague or hidden as the dev pleases, discovering them is most of the fun.

edit: read through some comments on Steam (not the reviews) and apparently you're at least able to discover clues about your sons fate.
    This actually constitutes an objective as far as I'm concerned. With crystal clear I meant something that is clearly there, it needn't be obvious though.

I don't need a huge waypoint marker shouting KID'S THERE, RUN FOR(R)EST RUN but just an acknowledgement, even if a subtle one, that keep playing, there's a reason for it.
    Actually the more hidden this purpose is the better. I just want to know it's there before I invest money (and most likely way more time than what's healthy) on a game like this.

Sorry for the looooong post

Last edited: Apr 4, 2016
  6. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
    Yes, a very long time ago.

7. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660Ti
    Yeah uhm if you don't like grinding resources The Forest is not for you, takes huge amounts of times to build walls/tree houses/traps. Took me and my friend about 8 hours to get an all-around wall built.

8. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800XT GamingX
    ^ got The Forest yesterday and it seems like a game I will like. Don't mind grinding as long as there's some point to it (apart from just "leveling up" or so).

Managed to get to the first night without seeing any cannibals (or whatever they are) so maybe the aggressiveness is toned down a bit.
    Remember reading comments about the enemies being a constant nuisance. Plus it seems you may spawn to different areas of the map when starting a new game.

I once started out right next to a cannibal settlement so enemy activity there would have been higher I suppose (quit pretty soon after that).
    Where you are and what you do surely matters in this respect, as it should.

Wasted too much time gathering stuff from the crash site so didn't have time to build a shelter before nightfall. Tried to stay hidden under some rocks on the beach but was attacked by an enemy "scout".

Managed to kill her, but more showed up and got me. Just escaped the cave though, also seems they've put an exit next to the spawning spot so you can decide whether you run or try to fight.

Btw is it so that you get captured once and if you die after that you just die? Or does it depend on whether you're in a cave or not?

9. Phragmeister

Phragmeister Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 4GB
    The Forest

Anyone playing this game?

http://store.steampowered.com/app/242760/

A few mates and I have been enjoying it. It's got a nice bit of content and surprisingly smooth performance considering it's in alpha build.

It's currently on sale and definitely worth the money, imo.

10. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    Haven't played it since it was first released a while ago. It was really rough back then.

11. Grimbarian

Grimbarian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD RX5700 8gb
  12. Phragmeister

Phragmeister Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 4GB
    I did a search too, ergh.

@Mods: Feel free to lock this up.

13. Grimbarian

Grimbarian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD RX5700 8gb
    In fairness it took me two attempts to find it, the search on here can be a little iffy at times ;)

14. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
    Yeah searching on Guru3D is kind of strange.

I haven't played for a long time, kind of waiting for it to be finished before diving back in.

15. Grimbarian

Grimbarian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD RX5700 8gb
    Yep same, I'd like it to have a bit more of a purpose/endgame or something first :)

16. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800XT GamingX
    Own the game but haven't touched it for a while. Seems promising though and I liked it for the brief time I played it so far.

It's alpha but it's been alpha for more than two years already so pretty mature by now. The devs are taking their time with EA.
    The endgame should be implemented by the time of final release but when this is is anyone's guess.

17. MarkyG

MarkyG Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 Super
    Love me some Forest. It's come a long way since release. It's one of my go-to Survival Games for messing around with mates and having nasty jump scares in the caves. :)

18. Scorch666

Scorch666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    Am really loving this game. Just looks so darn gorgeous. I like the fact if you just want a casual game you can play it in peaceful mode and not have the monsters.

19. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    Finally started playing this after owning it for almost 2 years. Really enjoying it so far. Love the atmosphere too. It can be so creepy at night.

20. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
    Go cave diving..... it's completely safe I promise.