The Folding@Home Pub

Discussion in 'Folding@Home - Join Team Guru3D !' started by Crossfire, Oct 22, 2007.

1. DevilDude

DevilDude Member Guru

GPU:
    Gainward Bliss 7800GS+ 512Mb AGP
    My first PC was a P100 (also pre-MMX, I think it was only the second pentium model) with 16Mb of RAM an 850Mb HD with win '95 and a quad-speed CD-ROM.

I remember thinking how bizarre it was that the CPU needed a fan ;) Still have it all, but the HD died a long time ago (shame as it had development versions of tomb raider and diablo on it)

2. aircool

aircool Don Aircooleone Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 560 Ti 448 Core
    I doubt I'll turning in work units in the next few days (7-10), migrating to a new isp.

About bloody time.

(But will be folding some how!)

3. DevilDude

DevilDude Member Guru

GPU:
    Damn! That's not good news. And is it just me or have the forums just suddenly dropped dead ??

4. aircool

GPU:
    Yeah the forums have done, its good and bad news really mate, but that said I'll try an get round to finding the p4 ;)

5. Crossfire

Crossfire Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS Radeon HD 4670
    Are you talking about the whole Guru3D Forums, or just the F@H section ?

Steal internet from neighbors AirCool ;) That's what I did when my modem died. :D

6. aircool

GPU:
    I would do if they didnt catch on to me/us.

Our other neighbours are way to far away.

7. DevilDude

DevilDude Member Guru

GPU:
  8. aircool

GPU:
    Hey, nice. You better had keep it up.

I wont be able to this week I imagine, unless I get internet right up until the point where I change isp.

9. Gaboou

Gaboou Master Guru

GPU:
    2x 8800GTXes ->> SM 275T
    Lol, you had an ambitious goal and you achieved it. :approval: But you gotta admit that it wouldn't be so nice if you were folding more then the whole team, would it be? Unless, off course you were really able to fold more and the rest the same as now...
    Could you show off what you are folding with? It's some serious stuff you got there! Congrats for you and regrets for the person that has to pay the electricity bill. ;)

10. Crossfire

Crossfire Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS Radeon HD 4670

Nice! Nice! But you've still got one more task to complete... Overtake double_cut !! You should take him down in a couple of weeks... :)

Good job all -- We are at 255 !!!

11. DevilDude

DevilDude Member Guru

GPU:
    Actually sorry to disappoint but my output will have to drop off for a couple of days as the machines are moved, but I hope to improve on the performance shortly!

12. Crossfire

Crossfire Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS Radeon HD 4670
    :bawl:

13. (IRE)Wolfman

(IRE)Wolfman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD 5700xt or 6700x
    i'm busy playing games too. :nerd:

14. DevilDude

DevilDude Member Guru

GPU:
    Hyperthreading CPUs should run just 1 client

Just been reading the FAH wiki - seems I've been doing it wrong.

"However, if you try and run two instances of Folding@home on the same Hyper-Threaded CPU, they will both be competing for the same instruction units. This essentially means that each Folding@home instance shares its access to those instruction units. Overall a small performance gain is achieved due to the few calculations that can be run on the "spare" instruction units. However the end result is that the two WUs you are running complete in just under twice the length of time as a single WU would because of the afore mentioned instruction unit sharing.

The recommended procedure is to run a single instance of the Folding@home client per physical CPU, because this will finish a Work Unit (WU) in the shortest time. This is more valuable to the science of Folding@home, since the data from processed WUs is used to generate new ones."

So although I've been getting a *slight* PPD advantage to running multiple clients, it's been at the cost of the projects I'm trying to help!!
    :stewpid:

15. aircool

GPU:
    Two instances for HT, you get a ppd increase, gives you just a moderate increase in in production for the time folded, thus giving the extra ppd.

16. Crossfire

Crossfire Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS Radeon HD 4670
    Yeah, I run two instances on my P4 3.0GHz HT and I get more PPD that way then with just running one; but it doesn't turn WUs in as often as it would if I ran one instance.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2007
  17. DevilDude

DevilDude Member Guru

GPU:
    Yep, that's what me post was about - you do get a mild ppd increase, but as the wiki says since it slows down the time it takes for each WU it actually works against the projects.

I'm dropping to one client per HT CPU as soon as the current WUs have finished.

18. aircool

GPU:
    It doesnt since it averages out, this is how you get ppd, yet it may work against the WU's but you still are getting the extra PPD (points per day).

19. Crossfire

Crossfire Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS Radeon HD 4670
    This is also what HT is for. You will see a big PPD drop if you take them off.

20. DevilDude

DevilDude Member Guru

GPU:
    ARRRRRGHHH!! :bang::bang::bang: :)

Right - Correct me if I'm wrong, kick me in the happy sacks etc. etc.

You've got 1 client working on a WU from project 123 right? You get 100 points per WU on this project. You turn in 1 WU per day so that 100 ppd right?

OK

1st point (and we're all agreed on this). You set up a second client on your HT CPU and it too is working on the same step of the same project. So now you go from turning in 1 100 point work unit every day to turning in 2 100 point WUs every day and a half ergo your ppd has increased from 100ppd to 133ppd. Agreed? So everything is hunky-dory right? WRONG!

This is because

(And here's the science bit ;) )

2nd point. When your result is returned it is processed by the stanford servers and used to make another WU in the project which then gets dealt out to the waiting masses. (Still agreed right?) Now State A work units can become either State B or State C and the object is to find what state B and C are and how likely etc. So having 2 clients spending a day and half to both get to step B (or C) is less scientifically useful than having 1 client which gets to state D or E in 2 days right?

The faster we get through the states, the sooner these guys get their answers.

Thats all - using multiple clients on an HT CPU definately gives an increase in points per day but means they won't get their answers quite as quick. As I care more about them getting more useful work done and less about the points, I'm going to cut back on my HT CPUs from 2 clients to 1. :)