The First GeForce GTX 980 Benchmarks ?

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 7, 2014.

1. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    No point buying an 8GB version unless your using Tri-sli minimum and copius amounts of Custom AA otherwise its a complete waste. Your never gonna go anywhere near using all that ram.

Unless its a Dual card that were going to see....

Last edited: Sep 9, 2014
  2. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Think they were meaning for 4k gaming.

3. ---TK---

---TK--- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    QFT, be prepared for bare minimum 3 cards for that amount of vram. TBH I would quad sli. Dont know how 256 bit bus and that much vram are going to play nice together. I know 4gb 680`s were hampered by not enough gpu power in sli and 256 bit bus.

4. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Dont matter core clock will still take a massive hit, even more so at 4k. 3 cards or more to get the most out of that ram. Core maximum will be hit first before vram is. I think maybe a dual card is coming maybe 2x770's on one GPU hence 4GB a piece.

Edit....This post was meant for Redemption80, i think we posted at the same time TK.:)

5. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    The 'moar the better' marketing approach generally works. If they made 16gb cards bet you many people will still say OMFG#%^&!!!! Gotta get one!!!

6. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galax 3080 SC
    GM204>GK104. it does not replace GK110, there is very little to be disappointed .

7. SLI-756

SLI-756 Banned

GPU:
    760 SLI 4gb 1215/ 6800
    if i see a game peek it's head over 4gb on the vram with my 8gb card, it'll all be worthwhile.

8. Redemption80

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Veteran, possibly but i will wait and see how the 4GB versions cope with 4k first when the reviews appear, as while i don't think 8GB is needed or will be used, i also don't think 4GB will be enough for 4k.

9. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Tbh i may get a couple of these myself, depends on the review from Hilbert. I cba to wait for GM200 and tbh i wont be going 4k until 4k monitors hit 120hz.
    Saying that if the 980 is not all its cracked up to be then i will be forced to wait.

At 1440p 4GB is all i need tbh, as for Watchdogs ive never played it and never will as its a badly coded GTA clone for me. Sleeping Dogs was good at first but become very boring after a short amount of time for me. No more GTA clones for me lol.

Saying that Dx12 also may appear soon or later, thats another reason that may put me off these cards if they aint Dx12.

10. Redemption80

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Yeah, i plan on sticking with 1080p until 4k screens (TV's as i'm not a monitor person) come down abit in price, but should have some money to play with in November and a 980 should be perfect for me, as will 4GB.

DX12 doesn't need new hardware, even my old 570 should support it, unless something has changed in recently that i've missed, which is possible as i'm not as active as i once was.

11. Lane

Lane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock

I not say for you, but in this thread i see so some funny thing who are part with you ..

Its funny to see the guys who are criticizin their experience with UBI-soft in the gaming threads, ( watchodog etc ) games, who are made specially for Nvidia users, with over abuse of Gameworc physx ... UBI soft who is certainly the most criticed developpers of all time who have completely move his pieces to Nvidia thoses last years ( excluding the Far Cry franchise )

. but suddenly a new gpu is comming and we are speaiking about SLI of 960 ( nobody knows what can be a GTX 960 ) who will use a 960SLI setup next ( WHy... well nobodies known what will be the GTX 960 ...)

12. Redemption80

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    I thought the Nvidia abuse thing with Gameworks was just made up AMD propaganda?

If anything the fact games like Watch Dogs apparantly perform better with 4gb vram than with 3gb does not make me think Ubisoft are gimping their games for any one side.
    The reality is that until games sell more on the PC, the console versions will always get more development time.

No need for the anti Nvidia conspiracy stuff.

13. maxio

maxio Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 Ti
    Stable 60fps in 95% of games. ;-)

14. Andrew LB

Andrew LB Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080@2,025
    It was BS. But you know how propaganda work... keep repeating a lie and eventually people will start believing it.

Reminds me of "if you like your doctor, you can keep your doctor. period!"

yea f'ing right. a-hole. lol.