"The file Directx.cpl is an old version....

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by Mekhollandt, Sep 8, 2004.

1. Mekhollandt

Mekhollandt Member Guru

GPU:
    BFG Geforce 260| Core 216
    .....which could cause problems" is listed in my Direct X Diagnostic tool under my directx tab. If anyone knows if this is bad please inform me, seeing as how I constantly have graphical errors on my computer that no one can seem to figure out..

2. Hiro1000

Hiro1000 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 670
    ok what direct x do you have?

3. Mekhollandt

Mekhollandt Member Guru

GPU:
    It's directx 9.0c. I already did a reformat though, because of all of the graphical errors ive been getting. It happens everytime I switch drivers or something silly like that. This time it was when I installed the Catalyst Control Panel. I use Driver Cleaner each time to remove the leftover crap, but it always seems to have problems. This time I made sure to install service pack 2 before my video drivers, so maybe that was the problem.

Anyway, thanks for the response.

4. Darren_Hodgson

Darren_Hodgson Master Guru

GPU:
    256MB PNY Verto GeForce 6800GT graphics
    Service Pack 2 doesn't come with the DirectX control panel applet (DirectX.cpl), in fact, it doesn't come with the standalone version either.

The version you're using is probably from the SDK kit for the pre-Service Pack 2 one with a version number that ends in 904. The Service Pack 2 version of DirectX has file versions mainly ending in 2180.

This version of DirectX expects version 5.3.2600.2180 of DirectX.cpl. I simply used a hex editor to edit the version string and text to this from the original 904 file.

Hey presto and DXDiag no longer complains about an invalid file version...

I'd host the file for others to download but I'm not sure Microsoft would be too happy about it. I will tell you that the string reference you need to change is at offset 3694 (hex) and you need to change the four bytes to read 84 08 28 0A. You don't have to alter the other references to 904 embedded in the file. That should be enough. Save the file and copy it into your System32 and Bob's your uncle!

Last edited: Sep 8, 2004

5. violatorxxx

violatorxxx Guest

Whats the problem? :-D
    Just ignore it, it will not cause you any trouble.

6. hohum

hohum Member

If you have used omega drivers at any point that control panel file will have been installed, he includes it in his modded driver sets. You should see a directx icon under start/settings/control panel amongst all the others, which brings up a panel for directx settings. That's basically all it is - I myself get it listed as 'old version' since installing sp2, but it can be safely ignored as it won't affect anything. (well it hasn't for me ;) )

7. Mekhollandt

Mekhollandt Member Guru

GPU:
    Hey do any of you guys know a programs that will let me take screenshots of your desktop or maybe in IE or Outlook Express. I need to take one to show you what my computers doing exactly. Honestly I've been having this problem for months now, and the issue of keeping the VC cool the whole time is non existant. Ive never overclocked the thing and I never play a agme or anything for too long a time.

Truly though, if it ends up being my VC is shot, I will most definitely never buy another ATI card again. I've never had problems like I've had with this card.