The Expanse

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by The Laughing Ma, Jun 29, 2018.

1. nikobellic

nikobellic Member

GPU:
    Nitro+ RX 480 8GB OC
    6th season will be the final season for the show. They might do a spin-off series based on later books but the main show is renewed till season 6 which is the finale season.

2. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    Geesh the news for this does not get any better. So it seems the authors and co writers of the show have come out and stated that their plans for the show were based on a six season arc. That the show has 'not been cancelled' but it is instead a 'pause'. Which I am guessing means that the show as it has been planned will wrap up with the conclusion of the Free Navy Marco Innaros arc and will totally avoid the Laconian arc of the later books.

I am really disappointed. Mostly because which ever way the authors have worded it the show won't get the full conclusion. I thought that squeezing 5 books in to 2 seasons would have been a push but I could see how book 7 could have been heavily condensed. Instead what they have basically told us is that the show will never get its conclusion, that the Laconia arc will never be seen. Oh get that they have used the word 'pause' but the cynic in mean (and Stargate Atlantis fan) has seen the statement of shows getting follow up movies and media to tie up story arcs and then it never ever being delivered.

On top of that you also have the fact that modern viewer ship is very much a consume and move on to the next big thing. If the show is on pause for more than two years good chance is that folk will have moved on and the conclusion will never ever see the light of day.

Was also looking forward to trying my hand a Laconian ship model as well I guess this Amun Ra Protgen Stealth Frigate will do for now.

. amunra.jpg

3. Repo Man

Repo Man Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060Ti
    Most of these sort of shows tend to run between 4 and 6 seasons, The Expanse is obviously a pretty expensive show to produce with all the special effects and stuff so this was bound to get condensed a lot and sci-fi, especially as complex as The Expanse universe doesn't really sell so we should consider ourselves lucky I guess that we're getting what we are. Pretty disappointed too but on the other hand, I'm hoping they conclude this show with some writing that makes sense at least within the show and I can then go on to read the books ( which I have intentionally been holding back on ) and enjoy the full experience.

4. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    This is good. Wrap it up and gives us closure. Shows that drag on and on usually get canceled and provide no actual ending. They just end on a cliffhanger. Screw that.

Corrupt^, Brasky and Repo Man like this.

5. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    Isn't the fast forward in the timeline like 30 years? Does that not take place within the sixth or seventh book? The current cast would not make sense to continue. Placing it on "pause" makes the best sense. The Laconian arc would make better sense as a tie in to the show later on down the road otherwise it would give an inadequate representation to what it is and leave us with a sorry messed up jumble of a conclusion.

6. The Laughing Ma

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    Yeah it's 30 years between 6 and 7. What I don't get is why folk seem to be justifying it as being a good idea to put the show on pause because of the time jump. It's almost like we don't live in a world of CGI and prosthetics. Making folk look older is something we have been able to do convincingly on screen for decades.

I dunno it seems like something has happened in the background that we aren't being told about and the authors have stepped forward to try and temper the same fan reaction from happening that happened the first time the show was cancelled.

7. Repo Man

Repo Man Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060Ti
    I can only imagine the show hasn't garnered the viewer figures to justify production costs. The average viewer is getting dumber and more impatient for slower burning storylines like the ones you get on the Expanse. It's a crying shame but it is what it is. Apparently modern viewers prefer things like Star Trek Discovery where people cry and talk about their feelings all the time.

8. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    Psyched for the new episodes!

9. The Laughing Ma

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    funny.jpg

Gotta love Amos Burton, seeing this just made me laugh.

You know what I was giving STD a chance, I mean I stuck with it until just a few episodes ago. You know what finally made me finally give up on it. The Mandalorian, I watched the first series of that over a couple of days and was left thinking THAT was fing brilliant. It's a show that has clearly been put together by someone who loves Star Wars and wants to make it look and feel like Star Wars and isn't trying to p*ss all over the established fan base and the established lore. It looks and feels like Star Wars and it just happens to also be really good. Short to the point episodes with a nice start middle and end with no branching BS narratives that don't go anywhere and no obvious agenda pushing.

Then I watched the 7th or 8th episode of STD Season 3 after a really p*ssy day at work. This came on the back of a god awful episode set on new Vulcan. In this episode they had some mince about sea locusts being defeated by guys with glowing foreheads having their glowing forehead power beamed down from upon high by Discovery and saving some people from slavers or some other rubbish. It had a scene were token gay guy is being told not to refer to a character as she because SHE (yes SHE) prefers to be referred to as them or they're because SHE never ever felt that SHE was a SHE, followed by yet more scenes of former Emperor Georgo being unnecessarily bitchy and antagonistic. I am lying there just thinking this show is utter sh*t, this has been clearly put together by someone who clearly doesn't give a toss about Star Trek. The last few episodes have been total trash. The plot lines are a mish mash of barely connected nonsense that barely leads anywhere and the characters are either crying, about to cry or talking about crying usually while some god awful music is being played in the background and on top of that almost every character is wholly unlikeable.

Also Harry Kim wants a word with the command promotion structure on that ship.

Size_Mick, Repo Man and Icanium like this.
  10. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    Agreed. Sometimes you might find yourself wanting more, but it's still better to end things on a good note, rather than milking it dry.

11. Repo Man

Repo Man Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060Ti
    Critical Drinker sums up STD pretty well. I gave up after 2 seasons myself and looks like I didn't miss anything.

I wholeheartedly agree with you on the Mandalorian. It might not be a perfect show but as an old star wars fan it brings me joy due to a lot of familiar stuff and little nods here and there.

12. pegasus1

pegasus1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4090
    Season 5 now on Prime, or is this old news?

13. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    The film industry most certainly can handle such a mundane task as aging without flaw if the volume of viewers were there; which do not think they are. So the added time and monies for the makeup artists and actors on top of the budget that is already there is a killer. Also, feel that if the show was to pause or end, would think at the end of the sixth book would be the best place. The advancement in the timeline does not need to be addressed and the main arc up to that point is summed up. So there is no need to address anything that arcs into the Laconian timeline. All that can be addressed if and when The Expanse is picked up again. Would have loved to see the show unfold along side the new book(s) but alas it is not to be. Plus it is at a good point to drop the character Alex because of RL issues. Makes the "ending" a nice, neat package all tied up in a bow and bow out with pride.

14. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    Not for me :eek:

15. The Laughing Ma

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    If anyone cares I just uploaded a few videos of the Blender models that I've built so far, some are work in progress. The Protogen Stealth Frigate, others have resulted in completed final models The Morrigan, Truman and Scirroco and the Donnager is a Mk2 version of my very first model design and build that I plan to build in the future.

INSTG8R and Repo Man like this.

16. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    I love this show so much, caught up with the new season, watched the first 3 episodes in a row.
    Everytime i'm starting a season of this show i'm reminded how much i love it all, the cast, the plot, the aesthetic... love it all.

Brasky and eGGroLLiO like this.
  17. pegasus1

pegasus1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4090
    I do like this show, even if Series 5 looked like the budget had been cut in half its now back to its best, however one story line for me is completely unbelievable, and that is why the lead character is with that honking chick, of all the fit birds in the galaxy he goes with her, unbelievable Jeff.

18. Repo Man

Repo Man Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060Ti
    If you do end up building these, I think you should do a rough, guided tour of the ships on your channel. That would be cool as hell!

Kevin Mauro likes this.
  19. The Laughing Ma

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    All of them have been built, I am part way through building the Protogen Stealth Frigate and part way through doing the Blender build of The Pella, it's a great suggestion though the thing is the guys at Spacedock do a really in dpeth look at the ships and work in conjunction with the guys that make the show. I could do a closer look at the models themselves but I would be worried that doing a history of the ships in the show would end up looking far too much like 'borrowing' content from the Spacedock guys. I suppose I could do a behind the scenes of the build sort of thing?

MCRN Scirroco

sc2.jpg

Truman Class

trumanb.jpg

Morrigan Class

new3.jpg

The Pella this is a blocked model just to tweak shape and scale. It requires a good deal of fine work to get the final design and shape sorted.

pella.jpg

*edit*

Exciting new year huh spent it working on a Blender model

pella2.jpg

What I love about the show and the books is that the names of the ships and locations all have an underlying meaning. For example Marco Inneros sees himself as a great leader, conqueror of the inners and unifier of the belt. His ship the Pella is named after a city in Macedonia which just happens to be where Alexander the Great was born.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2021
    fantaskarsef, Kevin Mauro and INSTG8R like this.
  20. Kevin Mauro

Kevin Mauro Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super FTW3
    I feel like more is going on behind the scenes than the story-line. This is speculation on my part. Amazon has more than enough funds and production experience to keep the show running for two more seasons; reception is not an issue either. Likely cast, essential staff members or showrunners I'd imagine needing to move on to other projects or something along those lines or revolving around there... it's had a great run and when you think about it has survived being canceled and traversed two networks/studios as well - not sure if this has happened much?

EDIT: I must say I am absolutely glued to this current season and what they're doing with it... wonderful work :) as I was the previous ones as well. They've really done a great job keeping the spirit alive across the whole show.

XenthorX likes this.