The Evil Within from Bethesda (Shinji Mikami)

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by deathfrag, Apr 19, 2013.

1. Hisenburg

Hisenburg Banned

GPU:
    HIS 290x
    Nah you're wrong. My single 290x runs the game at 4k without a hitch. L2PC.

2. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Now that the PC community have fixed it, yeah. Im over paying for games and ports that dont have even basics of a pc title. 60+fps, Fullscreen support (as this letterboxing is just bull****) and optimization.

If you look up the definition of Cinematic, youll not find 30fps or letterboxing in any of the definitions given

To be honest, this is the game thats done it for me. This is my last PC build and the last game ill of spent money on is aliens iso. Until the nonsense of **** ports that are worse than the last gens ports, and so called PC gamers stop buying into them thinking that they're doing the pc platform a favor... im just going to stick to what games i have, emulation and get myself a wii-u.

The current state of gaming is a mess and as a consumer, gaming no longer deserves my money. The quality of the products has dropped so far from acceptable levels and progress as come to pretty much a halt.

So to be fair to others, ill keep my future posts relevant to what i said above about "just going to stick to" and no further bitching in this or future game threads.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2014
  3. ShadowDuke

ShadowDuke Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Gaming 970
    Ah, you're there, i see :D

@all

Dont forget to set a texture cache path for the game.

Add to your shortcut for instance: +fs_cachepath "C:\The Evil Within\cache"

Dont forgot to create the dir "cache" 1st or else it wont work.

Background: http://steamcommunity.com/app/201810/discussions/0/558756256522417663/

4. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    I haven't applied a single "community fix" and the games runs great. With the frame rate uncapped it averages between 50 and 60 with all settings maxed.

If this is the worst port you've ever seen, I envy you. You've missed a lot.

The port is fine.
    Two things are all that's upsetting people. The frame rate cap (fixable) and the aspect ratio (fixable).
    Other then that, there's nothing wrong with the game.

5. Kolt

Kolt Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 OC
    The Flawless Widescreen fix is amazing.. seriously makes the game much better to play.

6. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    What's the trade off performance wise?

7. deadliner

deadliner Member

GPU:
    HIS 7950 IceQ X² 3GB
    Otherwise what won't work? Game/fixes are working fine for me without doing that.

8. ShadowDuke

ShadowDuke Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Gaming 970
    Read the background? Helps with stuttering and such...ofc youd dont have to do that if your game works fine, tho its an addition..

9. Xbob42

Xbob42 New Member

GPU:
    GTX 780
    It's not so much that the port is bad, it's just that the game itself is horrifically optimized.

Don't think they're having some grand ol' time on the consoles. On either one, the framerate is awful and has tremendous dips, and there's precisely zero options for changing the aspect ratio or unlocking the framerate. For how badly the game is optimized, the actual port is pretty good. It works with KB/M out of the box, we get real console commands, not locked to 720p, etc etc.

The issue is with the game's coding. This engine was designed to run at a locked 60FPS at all times, I can't even imagine what kind of finagling they did to try to "lock" (hahaha) it at 30. The game doesn't look all that great (art style and atmosphere are very solid, technically it's super dated looking with low res textures, mostly static environments and RE4-level enemy AI, nothing is pushing any envelopes here.) and it still never feels truly smooth. Even if you leave it "locked" at 30 on PC, with Fraps on, while the framerate won't dip, it'll still feel like it dips sometimes. It's very strange.

Buying it on console doesn't mean you don't support bad ports, the developer doesn't get a handwritten letter explaining why you bought the game on one system, they just know you bought it. That's it. If you buy it on consoles you're telling them that 40% of your screen being solid black is fine and an unstable 30FPS is acceptable. Please don't kid yourself on that point.

Hopefully we get a patch that smooths a lot of this out.

All that said, for this Flawless Widescreen thing, I always assumed that was for multi-monitor gaming, will it help *actually* remove the black bars (not just crop the image) for someone on a single monitor at 1440p?

EDIT: Just downloaded Flawless Widescreen, totally works on single-monitor setups, dunno why I thought it wouldn't. Awesome!

10. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    Would have been nice if someone, who had mentioned Flawless Widescreen having The Evil Within fix, had actually posted the direct link to download it because the only file I can see is the same v1.0.15 one I downloaded a couple of days ago BEFORE the fix was done.

Is this the file: http://www.flawlesswidescreen.org/index.php/Flawless_Widescreen#FWSDownload

I can see no mention of The Evil Within in the list of supported games though and the build date is 30/05/2014... :3eyes:

11. deadliner

deadliner Member

GPU:
    HIS 7950 IceQ X² 3GB
    Do an update within FWS.

12. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    Thanks deadliner. I have only downloaded the app so far and not installed it as I was waiting for the updated version for The Evil Within. Obviously, I didn't realise that the app actually updates itself.

13. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX1070 iChillx4
    wow thats a quick fix :banana:

14. samr33

samr33 Member Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 2080 ti Amp E
    Guys, can any of you please teach me how to fix this problem??
    I just bought the game last night, and I had trouble launching it, after I fix the launch issue, this issue came right after, as you guys can see, the game is totally off center, it cant be moved and its even worse if i go into full screen mode, cause if i do, i wont be able to see the options, is there anyway to fix this?? Anyway, thanks in advance!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. beeswax

beeswax Member

GPU:
    MSI 1080 Ti Gaming
    Courtesy of Krusenstern @ NeoGAF:

16. samr33

samr33 Member Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 2080 ti Amp E
    Thank you so much!!!!!!! :)

17. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 1080TI
    i had a lot of FUN with the game. visuals r so good. atmosphere is so movie like. sounds, music, really impressive. game-play is good enough. the black bar is not disturbing as i am not an ELF. this is what the game is.

just the game seems a bit confusing at the beginning but u will get used to it. the check point system is good. not so punishing neither so easy. i love the feel of struggle. u r there. no way point, no arrows, no tips to do what. u try, fail, start all over. i love it. there seems doors, corridors with alternatives routes but no. it gives u that feel. at least for the FIRST times of the game. but i had feeling : wtf i am suppose to do next.

just wish our character is a bit talkative. he is so cold blooded. he is experienced detective but this kind of creepy thing can not be so ..experienced thing. so wish he cries more :D

18. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    I'm hoping my disc copy arrives today from GameSeek as it was sent on Tuesday...not a happy bunny to be kept waiting! Wish I'd bought the key now and just downloaded overnight when my usage allowance is uncapped. :(

19. vejn

vejn Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 7870 TF3
    I have preloaded the game and now my HDD is constantly producing scratching sound. In other games everything is quiet.
    Is this because of megatextures?

20. Marcel

Marcel Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Gaming
    @vejn

yes

My HDD is constantly under attack in this game :)