1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Evil Within from Bethesda (Shinji Mikami)

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by deathfrag, Apr 19, 2013.

1. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    The problem for most PC gamers was that the 30 FPS framerate resulted in laggy mouse control but if you were using a controller then it was fine. However, you didn't even have to play those games at 30 FPS anyway as disabling the in-game v-sync option and forcing it in the driver control panel would have given you 60 FPS or whatever the equivalent refresh rate of your display is. Even with a controller, the increase in the framerate is very noticeable and makes for a more responsive and smoother overall gaming experience. I haven't played any of the Dead Space games on PC at 30 FPS. ;)

2. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSi 1070 X / 970 / 780Ti
    The framelock is silly and easily removed but the borders don't bother me at all. Aside from a few instances where it may not be ideal to have 2.35:1 AR, I plan to just leave it on as intended.

Perhaps it's because I love cinema and widescreen. I always go for the 2.35:1 versions of DVD/BluRay over the ironically dubbed "full HD" 16:9 versions that are cropped to fit screen.

The initial black bars fix for this game was that cropped-to-fit nonsense. Nice to see there's a proper fix but I still may pass. Gonna try the game as is (minus the 30 FPS cap).

Thus far, it's got amazing atmosphere and is genuinely scary and creepy. Very much reminds me of Resident Evil 2, the last good RE.

3. The Sleeper

The Sleeper Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 TI FE
    Im using a PS4 controller, so i think that´s why the 30 FPS does not bother me in this game ;).

The borders are actually okay and adds to the whole cinematic experience, but one thing that is missing is a FOV setting ... I really hope there will be a solution for this :)

4. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5700XT P.
    It's a work in progress, should be a update (A plugin.) out for Flawless Widescreen (Which you can download now from it's website.) when it's uploaded. :)

5. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX980 SLI
    Im using mouse/keyboard and sitting in front of a 23" LCD, just ruins the whole game - once i get my Eyefinity back up and running it might be better, but the 30fps lock isn't helping and it feels like its running at about 15fps

6. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSi 1070 X / 970 / 780Ti
    I've only fired it up twice but I presume we have to unlock framerate each time we launch the game?

In that respect, it is nice that the console remembers your commands (after exiting game) so it looks like we simply need to press "Insert" "Up" "Enter" to re-apply last command. We certainly shouldn't have to but this game seems worth a little effort.

7. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5700XT P.
    In Steam (Or via a shortcut to the game exe or similar.) you can just set up some launch parameters to have them applied when the game starts, thus avoiding typing in the commands again and again. :)

Like this:

+com_allowconsole 1 +com_skipintrovideo 1

That will skip the logo videos and enable the debug console.
    (Just add a + and the command with it's value afterwards and it should work for the commands that are unlocked and can be altered, such as r_swapinterval and r_forceaspectratio to set the VSync behavior and aspect ratio.)

8. N1GhTW4lK3R

N1GhTW4lK3R Master Guru

GPU:
    SLI 980Ti
    Yep.

Perhaps I was misunderstood...if so sorry for that.

9. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSi 1070 X / 970 / 780Ti
    Cool. I'll have to set my shortcut up. :cheers:

10. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX1080Ti AMP
    You must have some weird eye sight then cause the game plays perfectly at 30fps. It is very smooth, sure 60fps would look better and feel even smoother.

I played a little of this game last night, I then went to have a few rounds in CS:GO which I cap to 130fps and going from 30fps in one game to 130fps was insanely different (obviously).

But after playing for a while you forget its 30fps. No idea why people are having issues with controls either maybe they all need to disable the "Enhance pointer precision" feature in Windows Mouse options in control panel, which truly disables mouse acceleration then disable it in the games .ini files as well.

Also the borders are definitely intrusive, as much as I am praising the game I too can admit that this AR is just wrong. It probably wouldn't be so bad if we had an FOV slider or even a border slider option where we can control how much border we wanted or none at all. Personally I think it looks better with borders but these are just too big.

11. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    Hmmm, I'm someone who plays as many if not more console games than PC ones and doesn't mind 30 FPS on the "lesser" systems as long is it a locked 30 FPS framerate (i.e. no drops below that or stuttering).

However, I generally find 30 FPS PC games to be much less enjoyable even though I generally play them with a controller. I'm not quite sure why that it is though; maybe it's a combination of being sat nearer to the screen and the fact a lot of PC games seem to suffer from framepacing issues at 30 FPS with v-sync enabled, i.e. they are not outputting a new frame exactly every two refreshes of the screen but an uneven number with some being displayed for longer than 33ms on a 60 Hz display. Digital Foundry mentioned this is one of their recent articles actually.

12. botonddeak

botonddeak Member

GPU:
    AMD 7790
    I also like the game, just expected a bit more different. :)

13. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    You don't even have to type the commands in again, just bring up the console and press the up/down arrows to cycle through them, pressing enter to activate. :p

14. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    I've put about an hour and a half into it so far.
    I also didn't change anything. Still running at 30fps and in the cinemascope presentation.

First thing, Bethesda's so called "system requirements" are complete bull. I've got the game maxed settings (except 'Motion Blur' as I always turn it off in every game, it just looks awful) and runs at a solid 30fps.
    And according to EVGA the game is barely using 1.5gb of my available video memory.

Secondly, the 30 frame rate cap. I don't mind it.
    Yes, if Wolf: TNO or RAGE had been capped at 30... then I'd be complaining. But, there's something about The Evil Within that it feels incredibly smooth at 30. So much so that I don't feel any need to uncap it.
    Could be the game's slow pace, but the way it's using it feels fine.

And, the "cinemascope" presentation. In some ways I can see how this would upset some. But, personally... again... I don't mind.
    I noticed it when I first started the game. But, once I started playing I stopped noticing. I was too involved with what I was doing to pay attention to the black bars.
    In a lot of ways it reminds me of when Condemned: Criminal Origins was released on PC. I was still using a 4:3 monitor, and so the game was letterboxed. It threw me off when I first started playing, but after I got into the game... I didn't notice or care anymore.

So far I'm really liking the game. It truly does feel like the sequel to Resident Evil 4 we never got.
    Only a lot harder. I love the extremely limited resources and how truly fragile you are. Gonna do some stuff I need to do since it's my day off work, then spend a lot of time with this.

15. Monchis

Monchis Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 950
    What a mediocre experience:

1.- 30fps don´t look smooth at all in my pc.
    2.- 60fps are a stuttering mess
    3.- Unlocked fps feel rough.
    4.- 1/2 vsync from nvidia doesn´t work, had to use bandicam to cap fps at 37fps with screen @74Hz. Only way to play smoothly.
    5.- BAD performance for this kind of graphics, it´s just a flop.
    6.- Cinemascope aspect ratio is awful on my screen, everything looks so tiny compared to 16:9 games.
    7.- Letterbox fix makes it unplayable, too much zoom, nausea.
    8.- Boring game after half an hour.
    9.- Too much hard disk space for the the trouble.

Ps. 10.- I have seen these enemies like a million times.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2014

16. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    So I have £30 credit sitting in my Kinguin account, thinking maybe getting this would be a good move, then again a lot of people seem fairly disappointed.

17. Emille

Emille Master Guru

GPU:
    1080 Ti Aorus Extreme
    Once they have your money though no one even cares. I'm not saying it's ok...just sayin'.

I smelled rotten when I read about the frame cap and black bars. Also japanese devs...

RE6 anyone?

18. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    If you want a survival horror experience in line with Resident Evil 4.
    If you are not hung up on idTech5 not being "cutting edge"...

Then I say get it.

If you think idTech5 is garbage and that's all you will talk about while playing...
    If you think RE6 was a great survival horror game...
    If you can't past a 30fps lock and cinemascope presentation...

Don't bother.

I love the game. And it's so damn wonderfully crafted and astmopheric, I don't even notice the aspect ration. And the 30fps feels very smooth here.

19. MonarchX

MonarchX Banned

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 @ 1480Mhz GPU
    Is it possible to remove that stupid film grain? Its so ugly and how dumb did developers have to be to make film grain appear on black and very dark gray levels? It destroys the depth perception. They should've looked at how madVR performs its dithering techniques, ignoring the lowest black and dark gray levels. Not to mention that film grain is supposed to enhance flat and low resolution textures, like some in Alien - Isolation, but not in this game and again, not on black levels! Film grain also doesn't make the game seem like an old movie, instead it makes it look like a... game with decent graphics but overdone film grain that ruins depth perception effect!

20. MonarchX

MonarchX Banned

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 @ 1480Mhz GPU
    I only played the Resident Evil game that came out on 3DS and had great review scores since it was similar to the original Resident Evil games, which I never played. Is this game similar to that or completely different? I like survival, not crazy action!