The Evil Within 2

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by WhiteLightning, Jun 11, 2017.

1. Neil_Hines

Neil_Hines Member

GPU:
    Nvidia GeForce 520M
    Wow, awesome game what configuration need to play this game. I want to play this game.

2. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Im 8hrs in, and still havn't left Union, outside of O-neils safe house, just exploring everywhere, building up my Gels, parts for my weapons upgrades etc...., loving it :D

3. skacikpl

skacikpl Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 8G
    Anyone figured out a difference between r_doftype values?

0 seems to be default value, 1 seems to induce MASSIVE fps drop (even though difference is hardly noticeable) and anything above 1 seems to plainly turn it off.

4. kx11

kx11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    the FPS mode is another whole way of playing this game , fun stuff but still weird in some scenarios

5. Guru01

Guru01 Master Guru

GPU:
    nVIDIA RTX 2080
    I'm stuck at the place where you open the door and the guy with a mask and flame blower comes out and fights you. I've died over 5 times already and the next thing i'm going to try is to sneak up on him from behind and get him a couple of times and try not to blow up his flame blower, since he just runs after you after taking off his mask. I think it's in Chapter 11.

6. skacikpl

skacikpl Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 8G
    Their type is actually quite weak to sneak attacks, ultimately you can abuse smoke bolts to quickly score few sneak attacks in a row.
    As for the fuel tank - don't bother, it'll be broken either way and actually destroying it during this fight forces him to run after you and rely on melee combat.

He's also easy to defeat if you utilize the nitrogen tanks.

Guru01 likes this.
  7. Seaclean

Seaclean Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 4GB Gaming
    I'm always baffled at how long it takes developers to reach out to their consumers with a patch. I mean -- these games, they must go through quality assurences, right? There's GOT to be some sort of testing before release... how can it surprise them, then? Blurry textures with pop-ins, poor LODs, film grains not turning off even if you set it to zero, low GPU usage, fluctuating frame-rates regardless of resolution and quality detail settings...

I just booted up TEW 1 to compare and it now spots crisp visuals with 16K textures and highly detailed shadows at stable frame-rates -- sure, it took them ages to get it that way but they're using the same engine as before (modified IdTech 5) so why not bring what they learned with them?

8. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    It didn't take them "ages".
    They had three updates out for TEW in under two months which made the game fully playable at 60fps without issue.

TEW2 runs much better then the first game did at release, yes TEW2 needs a little work but it's not like it's some horribly broken PC port like Arkham Knight was, or like DisHonored 2.
    It's only been a week since release, give them time to actually develop a patch, test it, submit it and get it released.

9. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Guru01 likes this.
  10. Seaclean

Seaclean Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 4GB Gaming
    I can't speak for Dishonered 2 but yeah, Arkham Knight PC version was legendarily poor at launch and it took quite some time before it was in playable condition. I agree TEW 2 isn't unplayable so there's that..

11. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    Just made it to Chapter 9. Game definitely took a switch... feel like I'm in some of the darker, grimier areas from the first game now...

12. Evileh

Evileh Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Duel OC 8
    fps mode is cool but it shows off how horrible the textures in this game are.

13. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800 "Vanilla"
    Yeah STEM engine is probably still close to idTech5 though they cleaned things up a bit from the first game but it's still very dated looking with sparse environmental details and texture quality is overall fairly low even for the creatures though Sebastian and some of the more prominent side characters are pretty detailed.
    (MegaTexture tech is still there in one form even if it's changed a bit since Rage was released.)

Though I would say it looks better than the first game but I enjoyed the areas in that more than these hub worlds though the game has some chapters that are more linear too.
    (The hubs are pretty small as well but they do highlight the engine limitations and the really poor AI, even ducking behind a object as a creature is chasing you is enough for them to lose sight completely or just getting a few meters away from them works too.)

EDIT: Wonder if the game is 30 FPS or 60 FPS on consoles, guessing 30 though the PS4 Pro and the XBX which is more powerful still might be capable of 60 although the devs might go for 4K in some variant instead for those platforms if supported.

14. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    The console versions are 30 fps. The Xbox One X might have a more powerful GPU than even the PS4 Pro but both are still saddled with weak Jaguar CPUs albeit running at higher clocks than the base platforms. That means that most games will still target the same framerates only at 4K on Xbox One X and use checkerboard 4K on the PS4 Pro from lower but higher-than-1080p resolutions. I would be very surprised if the Xbox One X version of Evil Within 2 ran at 60 fps because even on my i7-4770K/GTX 1080 Ti PC at 2560x1440 the game struggles to maintain a framerate above 60 fps at all times. It will undoubtedly be 4K and 30 fps on Xbox One X in my opinion.

Anyway, I completed this superb game last night. It took me 14 hours and I'm currently replaying a New Game+ which grants you an additional weapon, an additional outfit and carries the skills and weapon upgrades from the original playthrough. I've already come across some bits I missed the first time round. An absolutely terrific game that is one of the highlights of 2017 despite its performance issues.

Mr.Bigtime likes this.
  15. MrH

MrH Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 Armour
    I finished the game yesterday and enjoyed it a lot, bar the performance I don't have too much to complain about. The last boss has to be one of the coolest looking ever IMO, and in general the mob design was excellent. 8/10.

16. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX6800XT G.XT.
    Guys please use spoiler tags when talking about gameplay hints / bosses etc. Some of us have yet to get the game :D

flimbo likes this.
  17. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 1080TI
    I have more hours played. Still chapter 12. I feel weak. Total 17 chapters. I want this game end Pls.

18. ObscureangelPT

ObscureangelPT Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1650 Supe
    Well. After Nier Automata, I'm starting to believe Evil Within 2 is the next Japonese game which will be abandon with lack of support.
    I'm so pissed if this continues to be a thing.
    2 weeks have gone already and not a single reply from Bethesda claiming that they are aware (or not) with the problems of the game.
    This is a disgrace and a shame!

19. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800 "Vanilla"
    There's a test depot on SteamDB with a newer build number than the release/public branch but it hasn't been updated since the game came out or even before with the last change listed 20 days ago.
    https://steamdb.info/app/601430/depots/

No DLC pre-release announcement also makes me think Bethesda or Zenimax perhaps more so didn't really expect any major sales with it being a bit more niche, kinda screwed up things are a point now where DLC plans released ahead of time hints at a publisher having faith in the game and might support it better whereas total silence and usually also accompanied by a lack of marketing means it might not look so good.

Not always the case though, sometimes these things aren't announced ahead or even planned out in advance though I do not expect too much from Bethesda or Zenimax and their development studios when it comes to post-release support since it's usually not the greatest though it depends on the studio, Arkane put in some effort for Dishonored 2 and Prey but that appears to be all but over now and I don't think Machine Games for Wolfenstein or Tango for Evil Within put out that many patches either.
    (Evil Within 1 had the two Kidman DLC episodes and the Keeper episode though and both Machine and Arkane put out stand-alone expansions at around mid-price of the main product though overall length is more like 1/3rd or so for these in comparison.)

For Nier and Square well they only recently started to more actively support PC gaming, Eidos and IO as their sub studios had better support though but even that was depending on Square, though it kinda sucks for Nier Automata being kinda unsupported on PC.
    (EDIT: Well Square has released games on PC for years but with varying port qualities and support.)

20. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    18hrs in, and just about done all the rogue signals
    just need to get into the ammo cache thats under the car in the auto parts, and then do the Girls Voice

Cracking game :D