The Energy Non-Crisis

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by Steven Hone, May 23, 2008.

1. nm+

nm+ Don Cappuccino Staff Member

GPU:
    old
    Yes, Canada has a lot of oil sand. The US and Canada have massive amounts of oil shale. Oil sand has become profitable. Oil shale is not yet profitable (and has enrivonmental issues that would scare even Satch). Still it is an example of peak oil not happening yet. There's quite a bit of oil, its just more expensive and harder to get at. This will certainly increase the price of fuel and decrease use, but won't result in a major supply issue

2. blue5

blue5 Banned

GPU:
    evga 9800GTX (685/1115)
    True, true. Oil sand is getting easier to process. There was a time when you couldn't even get a 40% yield, but that is changing.

In Trinidad we have oil, gas and Pitch. High grade stuff. But I will tell you, everyone in the industry knows Trinidad will hit the wall in 4 years time. Unfortunately policy makers still making budgets on current oil price and not diversifying. When the oil and gas run out, Trinidad will be catching ass.

And this is a small example of the pressure that people will face. You'll make alot of cash near the end, but when its gone, its gone for good. The Alaska drilling is a fix as lame as putting a band aid on a shotgun wound.

3. Jarrstin

Jarrstin Master Guru

GPU:
    VisionTek HD 4870 CF
    Actually, you're both right. =P Our dollar is weakening, and the oil companies are making a huge profit increase in the last few years.

Sources:

http://finance.aol.com/quotes/bp-p-l-c/bp/nys

Up 82% in the last 5 years

http://finance.aol.com/quotes/exxon-mobil-corporation/xom/nys

Up 152% in the last 5 years

http://finance.aol.com/quotes/anadarko-petroleum-corporation/apc/nys

Up 207% in the last 5 years

Even with how expensive drilling is, these companies are making huge profits. There are countless other examples. This shouldn't be happening with a natural resource. Companies shouldn't be profiting so much from something people need. I think each government should put a cap on gas prices, because our system right now is hurting us pretty bad. Granted this could cause a problem w/ people selling to which ever country levies oil, but something needs to be done. It shouldn't be considered like any other product because the world honestly revolves around oil.

4. Lex Luthor

Lex Luthor Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060

5. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AorusXtreme 1080Ti
    i dont like how his book is mentioned every minute or so

Im currently spending around $350/220euro a month on petrol to/from work, if it goes up 50% i might have to give up beer lol

6. Classic Satch

Classic Satch Banned

GPU:
    2xEVGA GTX 260 216 SC
    Blasphemer!

7. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AorusXtreme 1080Ti
    lmao, that'll be a cold day in hell :)

Currently enjoying DMC4 demo with a new big ass chair i bought today for my PC, big wide leather thing that you can lean back on, fantastic, ohh and Staropramen( Czech beer, great stuff, no hangover ), alls rockin in the lmimmfn household :banana::banana::banana::banana:

Last edited: Jun 7, 2008
  8. blue5

blue5 Banned

GPU:
    evga 9800GTX (685/1115)
    lol, the leather chair changes things, doesn't it? You think, "Man, I've been missing out on this much comfort for so long?"

9. Dustpuppy

Dustpuppy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    integrated - fffffffuuuuu
    Not to rag on what he's saying with an ad hominem, but this guy is a baptist preacher not an educated expert.

He says this stuff through firsthand experience, but that's only valuable if you're educated enough to understand your experience. It's like somebody who has never had algebra sitting in on vector calculus. Yes he experiences the class, but that doesn't mean he understood jack.

If you're really interested in an alternative point of view read "The Skeptical Environmentalist" By bjorn lomberg I have read this book and heartilly recommend it. Lomberg does omit difficulties in extracting shale oil though, presents it somewhat optimistically. So take even this with a skeptical attitude.

This guy you've linked too sounds like an unqualified kook. As for $1.50 a gallon gas, it's very possible even absent of what this man is saying. Speculators got burned in the NASDAQ in '00-'01, then they went to the housing market, now they've gone to oil. Oil *May* tank just as these things do.

ETA: yeah this guys a kook, half way through he goes down the deep end on conspiracy theories. "kept quiet for 15 years because I feared for my own safety" typical paranoid CT tripe. Skip to 31:00 watch 2 minutes and save yourself an hour and a half.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2008