The Division: PC graphics performance benchmark review

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 8, 2016.

1. CrazY_Milojko

CrazY_Milojko Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX760 270X GTX970
    How can I forget that, still I'm keeping my opinion: I'll take 760 anyday/anytime over 950, or 770 over 960, talking either about 2GB vs 2GB or 4GB vs 4GB cards and of course for 1080p gaming since any of those cards these days aren't capable for decent enough gaming above 1080p in modern games/engines. All this charade with this Ubi game could be explained with next few facts:

1). Yet another rushed, raw and clearly unoptimised game from Ubisoft, same story continues over and over again for past few years with Ubi. Really can't remember last time I've played/enjoyed some AAA game published by Ubisoft since day one that game had hit the shelves, game who doesn't needed at least 2 or 3 updates to became semi-clean from engine bugs and playable enough for me to keep my attention so that I could finish it to the end without pulling my hair.

2). Both AMD and NVidia need to get their sh*t together and release better drivers, stable on the first place. Obviously they rush too to "improve and optimise" new drivers for new released titles but on the other side they break a bunch of other things in freshly released drivers and cause a massive rage on forums all over the web. Situation with AMD and NVidia drivers past year or so can be summed in this three words: God help us! SLI and CF users are feeling betrayed, lots of them are leaving mGPU battlegroud because only with bechmarks (and right drivers who are stable enough) they can utilize all that raw power, situation in most games for SLI and CF users these days is nothing more than pathetic. OK, there are few games who are utilize SLI and CF decently, but sadly they can be count on a fingers of both hands.

Because of all this nonsense happening today on PC game battlegroud I've decided to hang my gaming gloves on a wall for a while and wait for some better times for us PC gamers, it can't be much worse than this, at least I hope so. Also no more preorders from me (or for my kids who are much more active gamers than me past two years) just to realise I've funded game when it was at Apha stage and it's been released on market in nothing more than Beta stage. Waiting for few weeks and few game updates, new driver also and then I'm gonna start looking for my wallet. FFS I'm gaming on computers since early 80s and can't remember the time we had such power advantage over the console users, power that can't be properly utilised. Hope VR's gonna shake my butt, tbh I'm also a bit tired after more than 30 years of gaming in front of 2D CRTs/LCDs, almost lost my hope for VR because this year it's gonna be 20 years since I've tried that thing for the first time and still it didn't succeeded to flood the gaming market.

Back on topic...
    Sure Ubi is going to release few more updates in weeks that comes to polish the game engine. Hopefuly NVidia and AMD are going to release more mature drivers and things gonna change for better for 2GB Kepler users who are on the edge right now while playing this game @ 1080p.

Again I'm asking for a favor: felow guru users of 680/770 4GB cards with single or SLI setups who own this game can you benchmark just a single 680 4GB or single 770 4GB card to see how it performs in this /sarcasm on/ beautifully optimised game /sarcasm off/?

Last edited: Mar 9, 2016
  2. wsgroves

wsgroves Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix OC 1080Ti
    This game does not exist for me till they fix the sli silly stuttering etc. Luckily FCPrimal is really good (to me) so there is that to play for awhile. It runs flawless for me with these drivers.

3. Alienwarez567

Alienwarez567 Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1
    Anyone playing on 3440x1440 and using GTX980TI in SLI and how is the performance on that.

4. vdelvec

vdelvec Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX TITAN
    Running absolutely flawlessly on 3880x1440 Predator X34 w/ 2 and 3-way SLI 980Ti's!

5. War child

War child Master Guru

GPU:
    Gainward 980Ti SLI
    Well I ran some of my own 1440P benches.

Gsync on is definately causing issues and tanking the FPS counter. I lost about 20 FPS in windowed mode and 9-10fps in fullscreen.

SLI with GSync off is the way to go at the moment. I tried to keep it consistent and use Ultra settings with Vsync off. Very poor performance on Single vs SLI too. I also find it odd that switching to windowed mode automatically locks the game at 60fps even if you have it set to 120hz via Nvidia panel/desktop default.

6. Steppzor

Steppzor Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080 Ti GamingX
    Getting nowhere near the FPS in this review with the same settings Hilbert using at 1440p with a 980Ti, Getting between 40-50 ish, with drops down to 33 at the lowest.

The GPU load is alos around 30% :/ Using the latest driver. Anyone else having this problem?

7. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 7970 Quadrobake
    They all are. It's just that 99% of reviews don't do a "console settings" comparison as they should IMO. As for the above, looking at raw specs, yes the Kepler cards should destroy the newer Maxwell cards, but both architectures are very driver-driven, and Maxwell has forgone even more complexity over doing graphics tasks faster, that's what you get results like these.

The last bad release from Ubisoft was Assassin's Creed Unity. All of their latest titles run fine really. Same for EA.

mGPU has always been in a bad shape, it has just been worse because of the nature of the latest engines. I believe it to be complete folly to have a mGPU setup these days, same as having a 4K display. It's nice to look at, but a pain to make it work properly with the hardware at hand. As for driver stability, with my old single GPU AMD hardware I can't say I have had any complaints. The only time I have had actual problems was a week post Windows 10 release, where the driver would restart unexpectedly sometimes, but that was fixed very quickly.

I believe that VR is just a gimmick at this stage, we'll see in a couple of years. GPU companies will push for it, because there is no real reason to upgrade any top-range 3-4 year old GPU if you go just for better-than-console settings at 1080p, with most games. The greatest disaster for gaming is Denuvo and the Windows Store, both because they remove the modding ability, and the ability to inject stuff into games. They have turned PCs into consoles, and our games will now die the same deaths as the older console games have had, but with no PC around to save them. Can you imagine games like Vampire Bloodlines, Kotor, System Shock 2 etc, with no ability to inject/touch the files? That's what they're killing.

Aren't 370s with 2GB doing fine in the game? What if Kepler is not optimal for how the modern game engine is designed? Still, it would be interesting to see tests from people with 4GB Kepler cards.

8. baasgene

baasgene Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 TI STRIX
    I must say I am enjoying these game related benchmark articles, really gives you insight into what to expect. Btw HH did you happen to give Rise of the Tomb Raider a run since the DX12 patch? Any significant difference? For some reason I see no improvement on my Ti, is DX12 even supported on Nvidia cards driver side atm? (rofl Hitman is making me wonder!)

9. wsgroves

wsgroves Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix OC 1080Ti
    Still the same performance for me after today's patch. I am still getting what seems to be microstutter when mouse looking with the camera. Very un-fluid like game play on 980ti strix sli at 4k.