The Division locked at 30FPS, FPS has trade off for graphical fidelity

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by barn79, Jun 18, 2014.

1. barn79

barn79 New Member

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 290X TRi-X OC
    Ubisoft's on a roll lately... first with Watch_Dogs, then FarCry 4, and now The Division.. :)

The Division locked at 30FPS, FPS has trade off for graphical fidelity

Ubisoft is in a massive web of trouble right now, with Watch Dogs on PC gimped - to possibly make it not stand out from the next-gen console versions - and now a promise that Far Cry 4 on next-gen consoles will be 'equal' to Ultra High settings on a PC. How can Ubisoft's week get worse? The slightly older news that its upcoming open-world title The Division will be locked to 30FPS.

The reason? Massive Entertainment, the studio developing The Division, didn't want to trade graphic fidelity for frame rate. Massive Entertainment's Managing Director, David Polfeldt, explained the reasoning behind the 30FPS target: "I think we're shooting for 30fps because it's a trade-off, right? Graphical fidelity and immersion are more important to us than the frame rate. If we go for [60fps], we'll have to make a trade-off on fidelity and other things. But because we want to have very, very complex destruction and extremely detailed environments; a complete weather system, full day/night cycle...at some point you have to make up your mind: where do you invest? And for us, it's going to be 30fps".

Massive's Ryan Barnard also talked with OXM, where he said: "We are at the point where we're focusing on making sure that we have the graphical quality we want across all consoles. Of course, [we have] our partnership with Xbox and all the exclusive content - I don't know when we're going to be talking about the details on that, but there will be goodies for our Xbox customers that they will very much enjoy for The Division".

What remains to be seen, is if the PC version will have better graphics - because the console versions are obviously being held back, not just in frame rate locks at 30FPS - but with Watch Dogs having reserved graphics that have been gimped - hopefully Ubisoft wake up from this haze, and clear it all up. PC can look better, but if they showed off what a fully unleashed PC could do in a title like The Division, Watch Dogs, or Far Cry 4, are developers scared it would hurt console sales? Or is this something that Microsoft and Sony have a hand in? Keep your eyes peeled to TweakTown, as we will have more on this in the coming hours.

SOURCE: h_t_tp://w_w_w.tweaktown.com/news/38518/the-division-locked-at-30fps-fps-has-trade-off-for-graphical-fidelity/index.html
    (remove the "_" in between http and www)

Last edited: Jun 18, 2014
  2. Ack36

Ack36 Member

GPU:
    32gb
    They just lie and lie everytime. :(
    I really feel like I was bullied.

3. styckx

styckx Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti XC Ultra
    Can we please.. Please stop with the new threads about games we already have threads about? It just clogs of the first page of threads with redundancy. New threads don't get you e-points.. Just search, (FIRST PAGE) and post in the existing game thread.

4. DarkSidesHero

DarkSidesHero Member

GPU:
    AMD 7990
    So where's the lie? Did they ever say The Division was going to run at 60fps? If not, who cares. Game is going to be gorgeous and since it'll be on PC as well, it won't take long to unlock that 60 anyway.

5. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    30 fps, sweet. Brb getting my migraine pills.

6. theimported1

theimported1 Master Guru

GPU:
    980Ti SLI on EK Blocks
    I find it kind of ironic that a lot of people thought the next gen consoles were going to finally spur the development of better PC games, when it is turning out to be quite the opposite.

Many ports are being dumbed down so there is not any competition with the consoles.

It doesn't make sense, IMO, console and PC are almost two separate markets. These companies would do much better to release the best version they can for consoles, and PC.

7. Goldie

Goldie Banned

GPU:
    evga 760 4gb sli
    well obviously it's not intended for the master race then, so we pass.
    however i'd be pretty surprised if anyone here thought the division pc version would be locked at 30 on release. it will still have to compete with other titles after all, not like there's nothing out there worth while.

8. Scyphe

Scyphe Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon 7950@1150/1700
    I think the point of the OP is that PC-versions of multiplatform games being sloppy ports have gone beyond that and are artificially made worse to secure sales of console versions. It's not enough to postpone PC-versions by 6+ months, now they have to make poorer PC-versions to make the PC less interesting.

9. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Ubisoft have been doing this since the beginning of the xbox 360. Not really news.

10. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    I really don't see a problem with a third-person shooter running at 30 FPS on the PS4 and XBO as long as it is native 1080p. I find 30 FPS to be perfectly playable as long as the game holds that framerate (e.g. like Assassin's Creed IV on the PS4 and that game was a joy to play because of it).

The problem comes when the PC version is also locked to 30 FPS IMO so hopefully this will not be the case with The Division as it certainly wasn't with Watch_Dogs (which runs at 30 FPS on PS4/XBO and over 30 FPS on PC unless you cap it in the options) and I doubt it'll be the case with Far Cry 4 either.

11. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970

On a console, agreed. Hence my comment of this being non news. The consoles can only do so much with the static hardware they have and 9/10 its extremely impressive.

But for PC, not acceptable imo.

12. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 Gaming X
    Don't mess this up Ubicrap, I'm watching you. You'd better make a great release on the PC or I dont know what I'll do.

30fps on console? Sure, whatever, I couldn't care less.

13. Goldie

Goldie Banned

GPU:
    evga 760 4gb sli
    4k textures, turbulence physx, hbao+, tess, and some sexy ladies.

14. Kezen

Kezen Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW
    It's locked at 30fps on consoles.

It does not apply to PC.

15. The Scavenger

The Scavenger New Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 680 Twin Frozr
    30 fps lock on console, not on PC......

16. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    sli754 is that u? :p

btw I doubt we will have the same 30fps lock on PC, something like 770/780GTX or AMD 280x/290 is powerful enough imo.

17. The Janitor

The Janitor Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Then I don't see the problem. 30 fps is standard on consoles.

18. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 Gaming X
    Yea, one had to re-read the post in with a zen mind.

Like I said before I really don't care what they do with the console version. I just want the game on PC to look like what was shown on E3 and earlier.

19. assleak

assleak Member

GPU:
    Radeon HD 6620G
    >FPS has trade off for graphical fidelity
    ubisoft as its finest

20. RAMPAGE572

RAMPAGE572 Member

GPU:
    Asus GTX 770 OC
    Dude Ubisoft have never been known to care or treat PC users like they are just garbage so its no suprise that this might be a thing... Far Cry 3's performance was never fixed nor was ghost recon future solider so meh personally if AC unity has garbage performance as well... I am done with Ubisoft