The Division 2

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by UnrealGaming, Jun 10, 2018.

1. Backstabak

Backstabak Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 5700xt
    You would still have problems in more than just one game or program. Plus you would likely find problems with synthetic stress tests, which for some reason doesn't happen. Additionally, most games don't give out tons of google results of people complaining about dx12 crashes. So all things considered, it is a problem on the game side.

2. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    You would think, but this isn't the case.

3. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 1080GTX STRIX
    You still haven't answered my original question though: do you have some information for better ways to troubleshoot this.

For an analogy, if I have a network issue that doesn't have a clear cause, I can start testing different points in the network using Wireshark, which shows a lot of details of the data being send back and forth.

Are there any means similar to that to see or analyze GPU's?

4. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX GTX 1080
    Would have to disagree with that. How many games utilize over 12GB DRAM, no mods (just in-game settings with HDR enabled)? This is the only game that loads the DRAM that much. VRAM usually sits 5~6GB range. Resolution is 2560x1440. The game still looks good without HDR enabled and had less issues overall.

5. kx11

kx11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080ti watercooled
    it's understandable for ubisoft games to hog 12gb of DRAM with all the security stuff running in-game to prevent cheating

6. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Are there ways that are available to us as end users, no, the software and games we find instabilities in are as good as it gets.

the thorough ways involve vendor hardware labs and expensive microscopes.

:eek:
    Star Citizen but that'll come down when it nears an actual release.

7. Backstabak

Backstabak Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 5700xt
    Almost every modern game occupies all the RAM it can get, doesn't mean it actually uses that. Ubisoft uses the same engine for basically all their games. The Division 2 works without any issues in dx 11, but sometimes crashes in dx12. They didn't rewrite the engine for dx12, but added it later in a patch and it simply still has bugs. They are not unique in this, other developers adding dx12 in some later patch often face similar problems too.

That's just your opinion.

8. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Div. 2 had DX12 from the get go, wasn't patched.

Also Ubi uses several engines on their games, Division games use Snowdrop, AC (newest) use AnvilNext, FC games use Dunia and so on.

9. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX GTX 1080
    Not saying there are not issues. Simply blanket stating DX12 is broken in the game is just not true. This was the only game that revealed my DRAM and VRAM OC were not stable. The only game I play that revealed that. Only other game that came close was Metro Exodus. GPU oc'd past 1970 on the core and water textures were lost. Screen at times would randomly start to turn black. The black area would start at some point and then grow outwards that would eventually envelope the whole screen without a picture. Only way to get the picture back would be to quickly jiggle the mouse. The water textures though remained lost. The none textured water had an area of affect around the character. It is still that way today. Taking the same stance from the argument presented would be that the game is broken because it was the only game, at that point, that had an issue with my gpu overclock. Yet that was not the case. Division 2 was a cat and mouse game. Eventually was able to find a range where my gpu overclock was tolerated.

10. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Consider yourself lucky, many like me couldn't fix crashes even underclocking or loosening RAM timing below spec. etc.

The game crashes to desktop without any error in Event Viewer. As if something just tells it to close.

11. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX GTX 1080
    It was very frustrating. What made the situation worse was that at stock the game would end up doing just as you described. Dialed back the gpu overclock too much and the game would crash. Not dialing back the gpu overclock enough and the game would crash. Do not ask me how was able to dial in the core oc and the vram oc. Stubbled into it in true inspector fashion. Other odd item was that when I played solo, not with anyone, game would run fine. The second friends would join, game would crash after a bit. But hours of solo play and nothing. The time after they left the group and the game was back to running fine.

12. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    no, thats reality.

Welcome to it.

13. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    I played solo exclusively and got crashes. Can't imagine how bad it would have been in a group...

Btw, not to be disrespectful but if you got crashes with lower clocks too then I kind of doubt the issue is really solved.
    Maybe just ever so slightly improved so that you haven't crashed since.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2020
  14. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX GTX 1080
    ^ Valid point. Could very well be just that.

15. CalinTM

CalinTM Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSi GTX980 GAMING 1531mhz
    So basically this game using dx12 doesn't like Nvidia gpu overclocking? Because I get Nvidia driver crashing playing this game.

16. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    it doesn't like stability hiccups.

17. CalinTM

CalinTM Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSi GTX980 GAMING 1531mhz
    I've even lowered my 1080 ti clocks to - 25 both core and memory and I still get those Nvidia driver crashes!
    Even changed the power supply in hoping the psu was not delivering the proper voltages to the system.

PS: So basically to end those crashes I need to switch to dx11?

18. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Yes. And forfeit a good chunk of performance by doing so.

19. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 1080GTX STRIX
    Maybe, just maybe:
    https://devblogs.microsoft.com/pix/tdr-debugging/

Because it's essentially a TDR that gets triggered. But CBA right now time wise, I'll see when I get a few days off from work again.

20. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    :( Can't because of VMProtect

An unprotected EXE with aftermath integration would be great!