The Devastating Effect of Ad-Blockers for Guru3D.com

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eminaguil

eminaguil Member

GPU:
    Saphire 5700/Byksi
    I have whitelisted Guru3D.
    Continue with your great work HH, Guru3D

Best regards

2. BananaRepublik

BananaRepublik Member Guru

GPU:
    Galax RTX 2080ti
    I generally block all ads. They slow pages down a LOT and they have to potential to spawn malware. I have now disabled it for Guru, though. I love this site and have come here multiple times a day for years now, so it's only right that I support them.

3. BrainDedd

BrainDedd Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS Strix 1070 OC
    PayPal doesn't like my one credit card ... managed to make a one time donation on one of the others though.
    3J6764518T247414G

4. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    Holy crap, there are WAY too many people here who have no idea how damaging adblock is and they're like "oh sure, I'll whitelist guru3d! I didn't realize you'd go out of business because of this!"

Seriously... where else do you think they make their revenue? As others have pointed out, there's no [obvious] place for donations or a premium subscription.

Anyway, all that I ask is to remove flash-based ads.

5. wujj123456

wujj123456 New Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX780 3-way SLI
    Any 3rd party script is a security risk and wastes bandwidth and time. I understand your need for revenue, and will be happy to subscribe/donate if you give me the option. (Unless the price is outrages like $1000 per year some site asked...) I pay for many sites that can be viewed free like arstechnica, phoronix, lwn, etc, and definitely won't mind adding guru3d to the list.

So please give us who won't back down in blocking ads the option to support you. Thanks.

6. ManofGod

ManofGod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro
    I normally do not block ads on your site. However, I could not care less for Russian women or oriental women wives ads crap that I see here. Also, very often, the ads loaded causes this site to run very herky jerky on a fast connection with a fast computer. I suggest fixes those two things. Ads relevant to computers, I like, others, I do not want or need.

7. Turanis

Turanis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX500
    Guru3D or other tech sites are ok.
    But if you enter on gamespot,ign,etc without noscript&adblock you are doomed. :D

8. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580
    I only use Adblock and NoScript as a substitute for spying third party and malicious anti-virus software - it's nothing personal.

9. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    Not all sites are the same, and not all of them depend on the same revenue streams--so if a site doesn't inform its readers about this kind of issue being important--well of course its readers aren't going to assume it. Often the only reason a person doesn't get what he expects is because he fails to ask for it. Ad blocking software is popular for what many think are good reasons. Most people when asked will comply, but if you don't ask them...well, telepathy isn't generally recognized as a legitimate form of communication...;)

10. edekoning

edekoning Member

GPU:
    Asus GTX 1080ti
    Maybe you should look into how Tweakers.net is handling this. They actually detect if adds are being blocked. If so, they kindly ask you to whitelist the site or become a paid subscriber. They also explain briefly why this matters, and include a link to further details about the subject.

11. VolkNasty

VolkNasty Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11G
    I wish I could just donate via paypal or something. Your wish is my command. Adblock disabled for this site!

12. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    Again - where do you think guru3D would get their revenue from otherwise? This is common sense here. This isn't like Tom's Hardware, who was probably bribed for certain tests. If you haven't noticed, there's pretty much just 1 guy writing all the articles and reviews here.

There is nothing about guru3D that should give people the assumption that they don't need ad revenue. Personally, I don't use adblock because more often than not, it's a scummy thing to do when you're granted otherwise free content.

13. FerCam™

FerCam™ Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Gaming GTX980
    Well sorry but I started to see ads from my country stores, it make me remind of the two national private tv channels. For example Worten doesn't even sells the you review here, probably they don't even know top level hardware exists, or maybe they think a gt240 is top level. So no thank you.

14. Toss3

Toss3 Member Guru

GPU:
    WC Inno3D GTX 980 TI
  15. Toss3

Toss3 Member Guru

GPU:
    WC Inno3D GTX 980 TI

16. Razoola

Razoola Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX980 (MSI gaming)
    I fully understand the plight you face as a result of ad blocking.

Long gone are the days however where ads were simple banners across the top of webpages. These days they are bandwidth eaters that the user has to pay for in some form on top of the tracking such ads are doing. We are basically paying in bandwidth to have ads displayed on our PC and mobile device screen and that is just not on in my view.

Because of this I won't disable ad blocking or other security features but I am open to supporting your website in other ways.

17. kbozz71

kbozz71 Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 8GB
    White listed. Been reading this site for years. Would hate to see it go away any time soon.

18. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    From what I gather most of the tech sites use ads as part of their revenue or major part of their revenue to keep stuff up and running.

@ other people asking to put things behind a paywall would mean death of almost any site. Patreon and such can help with the revenue but ads is the easiest and most surefire method really.

Never had any intrusive ads or ads that slow down this site btw.

19. mattm4

mattm4 Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X
    I've been a fan of Guru3d since 2007. Always loved coming to this site to see all the lastest and greatest tech info on PC hardware. I've learned and gained so much from the community over the years. You got my support 100%, add's allowed on your site!

20. Mannerheim

Mannerheim Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 260 oem 1792MB
    removed from guru3d...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.