The Devastating Effect of Ad-Blockers for Guru3D.com

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarkWingz

DarkWingz New Member

GPU:
    16GB
    AdBlocker

Done :banana:

2. StrikeQ

StrikeQ Master Guru

GPU:
    1080 Waterforce 2139/5500

This is what I hate, and as of disabling it I had ~30% of the posts on this page be hyperlinked like that.

3. Jonny Manc

Jonny Manc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3070 OC
    Done.....been visiting this site for 10 years now and always found it to be factual and informative.
    Keep up the great work :)

4. flexy

flexy Member Guru

GPU:
    Riva 128
    Will white-list! Appreciate your honesty!
    Edit:

Done

The "joy" of owning a hardware forum where most people are smart and run adblockers :) I can understand you guys.

5. CrazY_Milojko

CrazY_Milojko Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus STRIX 1070 OC
    Same as me, whitelisted G3D this moment, appologize from my side HH :( I want that my kids could read great hardware articles and reviews here on G3D and visit G3D forum even 10, 15, 20 years from now.

Quick tip for those using Mozilla Firefox in Normal or Private Browsing mode wondering why you still don't have ads showing on G3D even when G3D is now whitelisted in ABP, uBlock... That is because option: privacy.trackingprotection.enabled ...is probably set to: true ...in Firefox's about:config menu. To disable Privacy Tracking Protection just for G3D while browsing G3D click on small shield icon the left side of adress/navigation toolbar and then choose: Options -> Disable protection for this site

Refresh G3D page and ads are here... I've disabled PTP for G3D since first day I'm using it, but totally forgot about ABP in Firefox is still blocking ads on G3D.

6. FuriousAngel

FuriousAngel Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX960 Gaming 2G
    I can understand for us to whitelist (roger roger!) the site in order to compensate for the higher CPM. But on the other side, why would you relate pageviews to ad blockers? If pageviews are down, it's because less people are navigating through the site. Now we all know there's lots of quality here, so if people stay away or browse less, what are the reasons? Maybe there's less news? Less interesting news?

Whitelisting the site doesn't solve the causes, it's just a temporary medication.

7. The Postman

The Postman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 980 TI Gaming
    Done !! Thank you for your great work Hilbert !!!

This thread should be sticky :)

8. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    "Example: last year in (October 2014) we had nearly 4.5 million hits (read) our articles. This year in October we are at 4.4 million hits, while the month has not ended yet. So in terms of traffic things remain the same.

There is however a huge discrepancy in Google analytics / DFP. Where a year ago we served 375~400K pageviews per day, we now register just over 200K pageviews a day. That's right, nearly 50% of the readers are blocking ads."

Traffic is not down. Just 50% is blocking Google analytics / DFP...

9. AzzKickr

AzzKickr Member Guru

GPU:
    Vega64
    I also would prefer a donation system, or even a subscription service in case of guru3d.com
    But trully the ads on guru3d.com never bothered me anyway; like H said: it is all well under control and non-intrusive.

10. weasel

weasel Master Guru

GPU:
    2080ti&1080Ti
    @Hilbert maybe add something else to pay i don't have anything against donating but i dislike paypall.Maybe something like Paysafe would be easy to add.I wouldn't mind donating a few Euro's every month.I also open guru3d with internet explorer without adblocker ;).

11. Cybermarc

Cybermarc Member

GPU:
    STRIX ASUS 980ti
    Done, but some AD's have nothing to do with IT and gaming.

And some Gaming AD are slowing down the refreshing time of the website...

12. ddelamare

ddelamare Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D GTX 1070 X4
    I agree that site visits should not be based on 'Ad Generated Revenue'
    I have whitelisted the domain, however i will block ads if there are too intrusive or performance related.

I HATE ads because there are EVERYWHERE and i am being FORCED to accept them otherwise i feel bad about someone potentially loosing a job somewhere. If that's the case, then a more legitimate source of revenue generation should be considered.

Thanks for the reminder Hilbert.

13. cpy2

cpy2 Active Member

GPU:
    How do you know you have that many visitors? I'm blocking Google analytics too, so i'm not even in that number either. Noscript ftw! :D

Thing is adblock is NOT problem! Adblock is the RESULT of what websites tried to pull off on their sites with flashy yelling blinking dialog crap. So there was no adblock when there was just text, i say lot of nasty webs caused this.

Also spyware, viruses, exploits just wait to be run by some scripts, that's why i block ALL scripts unless i manually whitelist them.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2015
  14. 3Dghost

3Dghost Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon HD 7970 GHz Ed
  15. Sabbath

Sabbath Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super
    Hi Hilbert Hagedoorn,
    I just put guru3d on my white list. Using Ad-guard 5.10 here full version & cyber-fox 64-bit

16. mmicrosysm2

mmicrosysm2 Member Guru

GPU:
    8 MB SDRAM
    That donation button should be at least on the main page of the site and maybe on the main page of the forum not hidden on the contact page where 90% of your audience is not going to go.

I run an ad free site, I've incorporated a top bar that is seen across my whole site with a donate button [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 29, 2015
  17. Truder

Truder Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury Nitro
    Can't say I'm happy about enabling adverts but I've done so and I've already already noticed how much web browsing has significantly slowed down (due to some adverts being flash based).

This is the problem with web based advertising, most websites (seems to be yours included) use a content provider to automatically provide adverts where by the quality of said adverts do nothing to promote what is being advertised but rather hinder the end user in someway such as negatively affecting web page performance, increasing bandwidth used that being said, at least I haven't observed click bait adverts or adverts which try to restrict how a user interacts with the page or tries to fool the user in someway (if I ever see these kinds of adverts though I will instantly re-enable blocking).

Now speaking from a business point of view, advertising is important and in terms of a content provider, helps to reduce the cost of providing such content but it should be noted that if ever there is a reliance on this form of income, it means there's definitely something wrong as it would then indicate advertising being more important/being the important content rather than the actual product being distributed, the real content.

Many have said that there should be donations and that's a good idea but I don't think it's enough, personally it definitely sounds like it's a time to explore other avenues of revenue, such as sponsored products to purchase after a review from carefully selected partners, people may think this is a cop-out but if it goes from your tried and tested review methods, this can only be a good thing and it would give much more of an incentive for manufacturers to produce decent products, although I guess this also comes with a risk of alienating other product brands if this were to happen.

Anyway, there is a reason people block ads, not because of it being unwanted content but because of how they usually cause a negative impact on the experience of using a website. Just now infact when I went into advanced mode so I could preview my post, there was an irrelevant advert above my preview, scrolling along
    [​IMG]
    see? This is exactly the kind of **** that ruins a webpage, lets say I were viewing that on an old or low spec machine, it would drastically slow down the web page.

Well, whatever the case I'll see how things go.

18. proFits

proFits Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080
    I'm sorry double H! I was a selfish whore, will you ever forgive me? :'(

19. Hirantha

Hirantha Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980ti Hybrid (BEAST)
    Add a Donate button!! every ass on Twitcher getting donations off the wazoo why can't a great site like this have donations?

20. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    Believe it or not, the main reason I run Ghostery is to speed up browsing--not loading pages full of ads does wonders for page loading times (even on a fast connection)...;) Once asked by a site, though, I have no problem with whitelisting a site. If you hadn't asked I would have assumed it was not a problem for you. I have permanently whitelisted this site.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.