The Devastating Effect of Ad-Blockers for Guru3D.com

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Passus

Passus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 Mech OC
    disabled mine, sorry mate it was more ignorant than guru3d being intrusive

2. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 580X SE
    can depend on agent (as an exemple i can fake be firefox or ie or google (evil)'s chrome and ads are not the same) and/or cookies policie

if you are on W7 W8 and W10 your OS security level addapt your IE privacy too.

3. NAMEk

NAMEk Master Guru

GPU:
    Gainward/GTX560/2GB
    Respect my privacy and i'll respect your ads. I don't like to be tracked.

4. Tripkebab

Tripkebab Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080
    White Listed - Sorry!

5. Tripkebab

Tripkebab Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080
    Guys don't forget to separately white list the forums as they count as a different domain in Adblock.

6. Twiddles

Twiddles Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2080 2190-7550
    This site has a special place in my heart, no adblock for you guys :D

Ongelooflijk bedankt voor al deze jaren Hilbert, het is nog steeds een waar genot :D Verwacht binnenkort een donatie ;)

7. Scorch666

Scorch666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    Never use anything like that, your Ads are fine.

8. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Even if you do not click add, it affects your judgement on some level. Even more if you actually do not look at it and process it passively with peripheral vision.

That is why I do have ABP. HH, just create section similar to FAH for donations.

9. wyndrusher

wyndrusher Master Guru

GPU:
    Palit 1070 SuperJetstream
    There's very few sites I whitelist, this one has been the first on the list every time I've reinstalled.

10. Twiddles

Twiddles Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2080 2190-7550
    >> Donation link <<

11. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    Hnnngh forgot my work comp had adblock. Whitelisted g3d of course since I want this site to continue it's existence.

12. kosh_neranek

kosh_neranek Master Guru

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1070@2101 Boost
    Just donated 10E as I have no idea how much you could be getting from showing me ads that I'd never click (hope it's more than what you were getting) Still I would rather a membership way as it would be more transparent. You could still keep donate button afterwards for rich supporters :) Confirmation number: 6KK80477NB6870408

13. LimitbreakOr

LimitbreakOr Master Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Mr Hilbert, :nerd: I would just like to point out that I had white listed guru3d since ever. I know that the ads aren't intrusive and are often relevant and for this reason I let them through. Adblocker Is a necessity these days as the Web have become overly abusive with ads.

14. main_shoby

main_shoby Maha Guru

GPU:
    980Ti Qnix 2710 96Hz
    I loved how this was discussed like a family matter. add block disabled right away.
    thanks!

15. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    The last time I turned off ads on your site, your ads decided to convert every other word into a fake hyperlink that when scrolled over was a pop-up overlay.

I dislike algorithmic ads. Direct sponsorships I can appreciate. The impersonal nature of your ads means you cannot guarantee anything. Same as those who rely on youtube to decide what ads your audience sees.

I attempted to donate though. Even though I realize that even if I donate it's still my burden to block your ads.
    Issue is the page wants euros and is in Dutch.

16. Toss3

Toss3 Member Guru

GPU:
    WC Inno3D GTX 980 TI
    Donated! 9Y867291RB393370N Can't stand ads on my mobile as it really messes up the browsing experience. Going to whitelist the page on my PC though.

17. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 Gaming X
    I dont use Adblock since I don't mind the ads (rarely click on them though) and I'll gladly donate when I get home from work.

18. amallica

amallica New Member

GPU:
    intel
    whitelisted
    thanks for letting me know. love you guys,. been reading since the beginning!

19. zebojelor

zebojelor New Member

GPU:
    Not
    I will whitelist Guru3D if you offer ads from an ad server certified to guarantee:

1- That ads will not significantly reduce browser loading times or consuming broadband.
    2- That ads will not use my CPU. Those cause noise and reduce battery life.
    3- That ads will not automatically run videos. I hate when I have 20 tabs, and I cannot find what one is playing some video. Worst, sometimes when I find the offender, and I try to pause the video, it works as a click to some other site/video.

Sadly, since I refuse to use Windows 10 due to privacy issues, I also need:

4- No personal tracking. I accept to load your certified ads, but not those which spy on me.

The keyword is certified: an official compromise from some company whose existence depends on his credibility.

I made this suggestion to other websites. I don't know if there is a certified ad server, but if id does not exist, you should think on the business opportunity of making one. You could partner with ad blockers so they offer the choice of automatically allowing certified ads.

This is something larger than Guru3D: a real problem in need of solution, and a great business opportunity.

I almost whitelisted your site, but when writing this post, I watched the list on ghostery: 34 trackers blocked, including Facebook, google, and who knows if Microsoft is not behind some another.

I would had whitelisted your site, trusting your promise about the first 3 points, but the 4th one stopped me: privacy.

20. ruiner13

ruiner13 Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix 1080
    Hilbert, I don't block ads, so I've been good for your site. However, if you want us to continue doing this, is there any way you could remove whatever ad service it is that makes my browser history think I have to hit the back button 6 times to return from an article? Some ad populates my back button history with 4 of the same page which is annoying. Go into any article in Firefox then look how many of the same page show up in your back button drop-down. That's annoying AF. Can you fix that history injecting script? And maybe make the articles have more content on each page - 37 pages is a bit much... Hopefully people whitelisting G3D will allow you to offset the need to have so many pages? I like the content. I'm not asking for less. I'm just asking for maybe, you know, 15 instead of 37?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.