The Devastating Effect of Ad-Blockers for Guru3D.com

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Razoola

Razoola Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX980 (MSI gaming)
    As I mentioned before, I'm one of those people who will not be disabling ad blocking but I am very open to helping the sites in other ways with donations etc..... I feel I do my bit also in one way or another. I have guru3d liked and followed on facebook, this helps bring awareness to your website.

I would like to say a couple of things however which I am unclear on. Have you approached the graphic card makers and such for agreements on payments to cover running costs? They should be footing something here.

Some of your reviews in my own personal opinion have to many product pictures of the item reviewed. One way to lower your costs would be to cut down on the pictures. I know some may not like that but others will. If you had two versions of reviews, one stacked with pictures like you have now and another lite version that had all the same info but without the pictures, I know I would view the lite version. That would save you some money. I don't get why a review of a graphics card needs to be 37 pages, this is probably part of the problem with running costs.

2. Dzuljzebari

Dzuljzebari New Member

GPU:
    MSI 2 x GTX470 sli
    adblock turned off for Guru3D, it's nice to see again PC themed adverts :pc1:

3. newbuser

newbuser New Member

GPU:
    8800gtx
    lol, you are being stupid. Did you not read my post? It's no loss to me, you or Guru3d. Obviously your high post count gives you an inflated sense of self, so YOU SHOULD unblock the ads. Good boy!

Since I have been coming here at least as long as you have been registered does of course not matter, I don't have a post count so how DARE I speak up when told I am devastating a community.

thatguy91, what Guru3d provides vs what I get out of that does not justify me paying them in any sense. For some of you, obviously it does, if I used the site enough I would consider a donation. But I don't.

On another note, most of the reviews here are advertising in themselves. or copy/paste press releases, not articles.

4. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX980 SLI
    High post count means jack, but when after only 3 posts you tell the entire forum that it's no loss to you when you decide to remove the bookmark / not come back because the owner needs some revenue, it kinda stands out

And if you read my last post in this thread, you'd see I detest ads too

Basically, if you post something stupid, you'll get a stupid answer

Last edited: Oct 30, 2015

5. pimp_gimp

pimp_gimp Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA Geforce GTX 980 SLI
  6. vidra

vidra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX1060 6GB
    Newbuser, go away!

@ Hilbert. I had disabled AdBlock on G3D a long time ago, but since my system reinstall I forgot to do so again. Thanks for reminding me. We've all gained so much and it's just fair to give some back.

7. Nurmi

Nurmi Member Guru

GPU:
    R9 Fury Tri-X
    Highly related to this, it bugs me that I cannot specifially unblock certain YouTubers.

8. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    A couple years ago, some other sites were asking users to disable adblockers and tracking blockers because they were losing money. I chose to honor that request and disabled adblock and disconnect. The first set of ads that loaded afterwards, contained malware. Kaspersky was completely useless. Malwarebyte's AntiMalware was completely useless. I ended up having to wipe my system and reload everything. So, when I say I refuse to disable my ad and tracking blockers for security reasons, it's due to experience with malware infested ads. Also, Google does not pay me to allow them to track me nor does any other tracking service. When they start sending me monthly checks, I'll disable my tracking blockers. Until such time, I'd rather donate to the site directly.

9. DesGaizu

DesGaizu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    JetStream 980Ti
    Too much of a risk to allow ads these days.

10. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti - RX 590
    Adblock Plus and Ghostery have been disabled for Guru3D as per your request Hilbert , Guru3D is whitelisted on my browser without hesitation , no questions asked , I hope this helps and thank you for so many years of great reviews and awesome articles :thumbup:

11. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX1080Ti AMP
    I do use Adblocker as extension in Chrome.

However, I never use it on sites I like and respect.

For instance, I always allow ads here on G3D. I know how much it helps out the site. I never want this site to go down, or become members only.

EDIT:

As you can see Adblock is disabled....

[​IMG]

Your VERY welcome Hilbert, its only a small donation but I am glad I can help out, I will be keeping adblocker disabled for this site and ALL of its domains :)

12. rm082e

rm082e Master Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Okay, like a few others have expressed, I am flat out against ads. Ads don't work on me. I don't think I've ever clicked an ad in my life - ever. If I want to purchase something, I seek it out. I got rid of cable, and stick to a handful of paid services without ads, and media outlets on the web who I prefer to support with direct contributions. I actually went looking for a Donation button when I first started using this site earlier this year, and didn't see one. Having read your article, I've just sent you a donation and will do so again in the future.

If I may suggest, you should put the Paypal donation button right on the home page, at the top, where everyone can see it when they first come to the site. I know it may seem like begging, but it really isn't, as I hope this thread has shown. A donation button allows those of us who really don't want to support the ad-based business model an option for supporting the content creators we appreciate directly.

Now a question - I am just assuming the standard rate is $1 per 1000 ad views, and an ad view is just a page load. Does that sound somewhere close to reasonable? Or is that more for video ads on youtube, and not static banner ads on a page? I'm just trying to calculate my impact as a user so I can offset it with donations.

13. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    3 post or not he has point. IF sites start to or find way to disable ablockers god forbid if site do this or found way to this. I would never return to that site. Ads are ridiculous over used at this point plain and simple.

Tell people not use adblocker (gamespot likes to tell people to do this )or even ask them in this age is ridiculous and stupid risk . I love this site and have great respect for Hilbert but me disabling adblocker for any site just isnt gona happen ever. How many times has Google/Yahoo ads been in the news cause THEY let malware threw the ads the serving? and almost all sites use both.

I stop going to gamespot simple cause IF you use adblocker they make you use LOW quailty video player ( I could careless about video ad before the actual video) my issue them is you cant pick low/high/hd/Auto with that player. Mean while there sister site giantbomb that ran by same people and same web support people. have video player that ALLOW low/high/hd/auto quality. with that same adblocker. and gamespot blames the adblocker and the filters. my response to that was screw them I wont go there no more. I now either use Gametrailers or giantbomb.

14. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX980 SLI

I know, that's why I posted this :)
    http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=5180283&postcount=284

His attitude was the issue, not the content

15. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    I've been wondering that too... They seem to target Finnish dudes (or users from Finland) I guess.

16. Marco Borsato

Marco Borsato Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080 Ti
    I can live with those ads, white listed. :)

17. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    yes well he not the first person to act like that around here and is new and he wont be the last.

I really think IF it starting to become issue for the site and Hilbert he should seriously think about put the donation button on the main page or all page someplace visible and not in the contact us page where no one looks Niether ABP or Ublock Origin blocks or removes donation button.

I rather see donation button on every page and donation when possible then turn off adblock. my security and peace mind what little there is if you use the internet. take priority over any sites revenue. and that is exactly how most people are think too

18. AntiSnipe

AntiSnipe Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1060 3G
    I agree with this. I do not watch TV at all any more, ever. Why? I got sick of having my intelligence sucked out by moronic ads so went to cable TV (way way back kids, when it did not have ads...that was the point in paying for it). Then that became saturated with ads as well and I could not block them...and I was paying for it. Screw that. If the internet becomes the same, it needs to die too.

I am simply and strongly opposed to the business model of trying to make people view ads (buy your product), by force via clickjacking, popup/under/in, mouse over popup, redirecting to unclicked/unintended pages, fake links, etc. If advertisers pay sights to load this garbage (same with TV, billboards, magazines, all ads), then the products you buy cost more to pay for that. Personally, I am strongly against this because, like rm082e said, I do not ever view or use an ad to determine what I will buy. I go research it myself and am not so stupid like they apparently think we all are to just see something on TV and go buy it because ummmm..."can not think for myself....need what TV tells me I need...buy! BUY!"...Do people do that? Really? I guess they must for all these ads to exist.

Anyway, yeah, internet ads are a huge, the number one source of malware in my opinion and unless the sight owner personally controls the code/java/whatever in each and every ad that appears on the sight, it is simply griefing the user and attempting to infect their pc, in my opinion.

And you get to pay for it in every product you ever buy! I could live with a few banner ads, but the problem is that is not all they are. Most of those banner ads run endless java scripting in the background making you visit sights you don't even know you are visiting (hence the slow downs). Those ad servers business model is to get you to view, or trick their clients into thinking you did, as many ads as humanly possible. It's how they get paid. So they would love nothing more than to have some garbage running on your pc spamming you with ads, read: forcing you to click, visit, download something you never intended. Hijack your PC and use it as their personal income generator. That is what it boils down to.

19. nilo

nilo Member Guru

GPU:
    HIS HD7970 IceQ2 CFX
    I have done my share.
    Thanks and keep giving us great news!!!

20. Hadesgate

Hadesgate New Member

GPU:
    ATI HD 5870m Crossfire
    Dear Guru3D,

I definitely understand the use of adverts on Your or any other website to generate revenue.

Generally speaking and thus not towards You: Unfortunatly I never asked or agreed on having "intrusive" ads showing to me what i searched for or did not search for on the web.
    And i decide myself when i want or do not want to search for something.
    At the moment of writing i'm not using an ad blocker (im at work). But at home i will block adverts no matter from what site or how great that site is.

Intrusive is very subjective in this matter. Since some might not notice them while others actually do. For me ads are annoying no matter where they are. For me it also means privacy related. I searched for a processor i7 6700k and it doesnt matter on what site i go i see this (swearing in my mind right now!) processor popping up everywhere. I searchED for it allready and im now done with that so dont bother me with that anymore.

We are being buried underneath ads whereever we go. Tv, radio, driving, walking, internet, eating and even in your sleep you think about that stupid song of that horrible ad you heard only once!.
    This whole crap should STOP.

Ok, let me stop right here, i feel something boiling allready. So what to do?
    I prefer to spend a tiny bit of money and have either no, or virtually no ads. I might be able to live with 1 ad showing on a page if its somewhere on the side (hidden from view).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.