The Devastating Effect of Ad-Blockers for Guru3D.com

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    Well I'm not really pointing fingers at website owners. I think the whole ad industry should start thinking about reducing the impact their ads have on page loading, etc.

2. Paehn

Paehn New Member

GPU:
    7800XT Red Devil
    Well this reminds me of about tens years ago when you had pop-up ads that were being blocked... And you blocked Guru3d.com from loading if the pop-ups were blocked.
    Personally I do not block any ads on Guru3d but would love to see a "Sub" option for no ads.

3. w0lfis

w0lfis Guest

GPU:
    2x7970@1000/1500
    Whitelisted bros! :)

4. Daftshadow

Daftshadow Maha Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3080
    Having worked in the advertising industry, I understand how important it is for sites like Guru3d to generate revenue based on ads. Although I do use adblock for my browser, I've whitelisted Guru3d since the day I installed the addon. Hope others will follow suit.

5. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    All ISP's limit bandwidth not just in the US. It would be impossible for an ISP to offer service without a bandwidth limit. Most ISPs in the US have data caps set high enough that they don't affect most users.

I think you were involved in the thread that got started over that malware.

The site times out on my laptop at work if I try to load all the ads....but we have around 50 PC's sharing a 25Mbps connection.

6. GeniusPr0

GeniusPr0 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Surpim LiquidX 4090
    Okay done, white-listed.

7. Spin

Spin Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 670 FTW 2gb
    AdBlock disabled!

I'm more than happy to do it for you fine fellows at guru3d. Great site run by great people.

Sorry you had to ask! I honestly had no idea how much of a negative impact it was having on your bottom line.

Lesson learned and I'm going to white list other non-corporate sites that I like from now on.

8. armartins

armartins Guest

GPU:
    ASUS 5970
    I don't use ad blocking for banners for this very reason. Youtube on the other hand, I'm sorry but I use it and damn it makes a difference. It also kills the autoplay on videos that some sites and forums use.

9. MiMiK

MiMiK Guest

GPU:
    nVidia 7600GT
    disabled adblock.

10. wolverin0

wolverin0 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX460 Cyclone 1GD5OC
    done, we dont even pay attention to this, thank god you posted this soon enough.

11. EKRboi

EKRboi Guest

GPU:
    3x GTX970 / 3x AOC i2757
    I'm sorry Hilbert.. I made an attempt. This is absolutely despicable for a tech site. I've been a long time reader and after seeing the stats and #'s you showed I "white listed" G3d. :puke2:

You're going to have to fix that first.

https://i.imgur.com/IQAeddQ.jpg

Last edited: Oct 30, 2015
  12. citizensnips

citizensnips Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia gtx 680
    Done and Done/

13. Vehicon

Vehicon Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 970
    I will stop choking you now :) even though the site looks WAY better without all the ad clutter.

14. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

I would dare say that if what you're saying is true in your case, you're system is probably infected by something to begin with. I have never ever seen any adverts on this sight that weren't benign, and they have been tailored towards computer users. There is the occasional advert based on other things that I have searched for, but they have been served by Google ad services. They are also benign, and are only based on stuff I've looked for etc (ads provided are based on your web browsing habits, it's what tracking cookies etc are for). I don't mind that, it's a zero percent security risk unless you have visited some extremely dodgy websites.

Basically, the only way you could be receiving dodgy stuff is if your computer is infected with something dodgy, or there is DNS spoofing happening something on your network.

Fix the problem rather than hiding it with an adblocker. If you tyre on your car ends up flat every morning, pumping it up everyday doesn't solve the problem, it just temporarily masks the issue. Eventually your tyre could blow out, just like your computer could screw you over somehow, like using internet banking if infected by malware etc.

15. RS-X

RS-X Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070
    ok u are on my white list .

16. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

I don't know why people are having problems with ads. All I see on this page is a small ad for an i7-4790K, an advert for Dirty Dancing tickets, an advert for Radio Rentals (an electrical goods company here in South Aus, like TV's, whitegoods, computers etc), an advert for car insurance and an advert for a car.

The last two show because I was googling car insurance and different cars recently, so that's all good. The only out of place ad is the dirty dancing tickets (through a ticket company called BASS), but even that is relevant because I looked up something else not long ago relating to that.

So for me, they're all relevant. The ads are all provided by reputable ad providers. I still believe that anyone getting dodgy ads is a result of malware, trojans, or other nasties on the system or if on a corporate network, somewhere else in the system. Google ad services simply won't provide ads that are dodgy, so if you see dodgy ads supposedly from them, there's probably at least some form of DNS spoofing occurring, if not something more.

In such a case like I said in my last post, adblockers won't resolve the problem, it will just mask the issue. The problem is not with Guru3D, the problem is with you! You might not like that, but it's the truth so get it sorted.

17. andersondiaz

andersondiaz Master Guru

GPU:
    gigabyte r9 290X
    Got it gilbert, sorry I use adblock, I dont know was is the result for use it here. I turn off for this domain, Thanks for your time and work, This is the best site forever.

18. AcidSnow

AcidSnow Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5700XT
    I think I've been using AdBlock since 2009. I install it on ever PC that I come across that doesn't have it. Advertising is just brainwashing material, sorry!

19. Lavcat

Lavcat Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7900 XTX

I had never seen it!

Thanks, I donated.

20. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    That cause it in the contact us page which most people wont go too, if it was on the main page more people would know about, I sure as hell never knew about it cause I have had no reason to go to the contact us page.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.