The Devastating Effect of Ad-Blockers for Guru3D.com

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    For a year or two now blocking ads with software like AdBlock / Ghostery has grown to be popular. We understand perfectly that some of you might find ads annoying. The effect on Guru3D.com due to this...

The Devastating Effect of Ad-Blockers for Guru3D.com

RzrTrek likes this.
  2. omnimodis78

omnimodis78 Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080FTW
    "Our pledge: we do not serve intrusive ads like pop-downs/pop-ups and takeovers. We serve common ads, mostly targeted and matched at your interests and PC gaming / hardware."

uBlock Origin disabled on Guru3D.com. Your pledge to keep ads practical but not intrusive convinced me. Thanks for the fantastic articles I've been enjoying over the years.

3. wantobe

wantobe Member Guru

GPU:
    Added to the while list straight away, thank you for all the content! Live long and prosper Guru3d!!!

4. Toss3

Toss3 Guest

GPU:
    WC Inno3D GTX 980 TI
    Would prefer a paid subscription as ads slow down page load times a bunch. Anywhere I can donate?

5. Spets

Spets Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    This topic popped up a few years ago, kept Guru3D on a whitelist eversince. Hope others do the same :D
    You should setup a donations section too, I'm sure some members here will be glad to drop in a few every now and then.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2015
  6. Turanis

Turanis Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX500
    Thanks,good to know for us. :)
    You have to see which kind of articles make good traffic and who not.

7. ShadowWolf555

ShadowWolf555 Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX770 Gaming 2GB OC
    Whitelisted! I've been using ABP for so many years that I completely forgot about the negative affects of blocking ads :bang:

8. bishi

bishi Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 SLI
    Please add a donation button to the site and forums. I would gladly donate to this great site.

9. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    I have whitelisted Guru3D. Hopefully everyone else will do the same. I tend to use my mobile phone more often, which doesn't block ads.

10. StarvinMarvinDK

StarvinMarvinDK Maha Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D 4070Ti 12GB
    Never used Adblock...

Always enjoy your articles and forums Hilbert :D

Thanks for the great effort !

11. Hughesy

Hughesy Guest

GPU:
    MSI Twin Frozr 980
    Never used any form of ad-blocker as I know how important they are for sites to continue. I second what the poster above said, add a donate button.

12. BrainDedd

BrainDedd Guest

GPU:
    ASUS Strix 1070 OC
    Whitelisted in uBlock and Ghostery, but it seems Firefox's new tracking protection feature also blocks your ads ... :-/

13. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    Adding a donate button or link is a great idea.

14. williamholden2

williamholden2 Guest

GPU:
    N/A
    Whitelisted AdBlock Plus, and I also whitelisted Ghostery so Google Analytics etc, can track me on Guru3D.

Also I agree too that you should have a donation service.

15. Madhatstand

Madhatstand Active Member

GPU:
    Palit 2070 Super JS
    I use adblocking software mainly for security reasons - having had my office PC infected several times in the past through dodgy ads served through website I have visited. Before you ask, I regularly visit random links on my office PC because of my job - and since discovering adblock a couple of years back I've been clean since!

Google have also been accused of serving up malicious ads in the past too, so basically your asking us all to remove our ad condom? Well, in keeping with the simile, can you offer up a virtual aids test to prove you're clean?

16. boerenlater

boerenlater Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 610 silent
    Hilbert what about implementing a subscription service which allows to disable ads like tweakers.net does?

17. Flacid Monkey

Flacid Monkey Guest

GPU:
    980GTX
    Actually created an account (long time reader) just to say I've disabled mine.
    It was automatically on the block list.

Your ads are fine :)

18. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    I've disabled AdBlock Plus and Ghostery on G3D, but still not seeing anything ad wise. Is there anything else I need to do?

19. Osamar

Osamar Guest

GPU:
    Gforce 560 Ti 1Gb
    I am more lazy, and have two browsers. One for serious webs and another for dangerous ones.
    I ever considered Guru3d a secure place and never had any problems.
    The browser for dangerous places is full of block-anything, the other has nothing.

20. {WOR}lock

{WOR}lock Member

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3090
    Been a few sites lately I enjoy make this request and I have complied as I'd like to see you (and them) stick around for the long term. You've been completely whitelisted now.

Just make sure you stick to your promise - there's a good reason a lot of us have taken to adblocking over time.

EDIT: Sorry, I tried this out for a little while and instantly noticed IntelliTXT creating hyperlinks over the forum text, a huge stack of trackers and other crud that I don't think is necessary. If you can stick to banner ad's and a few trackers I'd be happy to comply. But if not i'll be reblocking your ads. This is specifically why I use adblockers in the first place, I don't need you selling my forum habits to every advertising agency under the sun.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.