The Da Vinci Code gets bashed by the critics at Cannes

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by Sash, May 18, 2006.

1. Sash

Sash Ancient Guru

GPU:
    video
    from http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060516/ap_en_mo/film_cannes_da_vinci_code_2

The Cannes audience clearly grew restless as the movie dragged on to two and a half hours and spun a long sequence of anticlimactic revelations.

"I kept thinking of the Energizer Bunny, because it kept going and going and going, and not in a good way," said James Rocchi, a film critic for CBS 5 television in San Francisco and the online outlet Cinematical. "Ron Howard makes handsome films. He doesn't make bad ones, but he doesn't make great ones."

One especially melodramatic line uttered by Hanks drew prolonged laughter and some catcalls, and the audience continued to titter for much of the film's remainder.

Some people walked out during the movie's closing minutes, though there were fewer departures than many Cannes movies provoke among harsh critics. When the credits rolled, there were a few whistles and hisses, and there was none of the scattered applause even bad movies sometimes receive at Cannes.

So to sum it up, it cracked the hell out of the crititcs, that is not good, many people thought it will be as good as the book

2. orenda635

orenda635 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 7600GS 256mb / Radeon 9550 32mb
    I don't know if I'll see it. My Dad has the book but I haven't had a chance to read it yet. There sure has been a lot of controversy about it. People are such retards. A lot of people have been taking this book at face value even though it's purely a work of fiction and clearly states that it is.

3. hshagel08

hshagel08 Member Guru

GPU:
    6200 AGP 256mb
    I read Angels and Demons and it was amazing. I've no doubt that da divinci is just as good or even better. It's coming out tommorow

4. Opty

Opty Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI Gecube x1900xtx
    Has anyone checked the religious background of any of the so called critics. More than likely bias opinions?.

Also if you had a lie that you have been telling people for years and years that affects the way people live and then all of a sudden someone starts telling people about it. You would do everything in your power to stop or discredit the persons/infomation so people don't find out the truth. And for something that is said to be a hole lot of balony, Why are so many going to such lengths to disproove the Da Vinci code? If it is bs then there would be no need for certain groups to bash it like it has been all over the world, would there? Typical behaviour of someone with something to hide if you ask me.

Anyway that's my opinion :)

Last edited: May 19, 2006

5. disfigured_LmKi

disfigured_LmKi Master Guru

GPU:
    PNY 8800GT on 26" Sammy
    I read Angels and Demons and found it to be similar to this review, especially towards the end.

The plot became so repetetive that I actually put it down to never pick it up again with less then a few chapters left.

I'm not suprised that the Duh Vinci Code is getting similar reviews.

6. Zapmaster

Zapmaster Sherlock Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon 4870
    Well, Sony Pictures refused to have early showings for critics (which is usually indicator that movie isn't all that great), and most of the "facts" from the book have been proven completly false (and I am talking about historical facts which books claims to be true) while that may not be very important to how interesting the story is, it does deminish alot of film's appeal, because as is, the whole thing seems kind of silly. To me anyway.

7. Insomniac34

Insomniac34 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 460 768mb (800/1900)
    On RottenTomatoes.com, DVC only has about 17% fresh. The consensus is that the book is a page-turner but the movie is dull, boring and tedious. So while I think this movie should get bashed, it should get bashed because it's a bad, over-hyped movie and not because it's "offensive" to Catholics. Speaking of which, people that see the movie and book as offensive and full of lies about the Bible should realize that this is fiction and not meant to be truthful. The purpose is to try to create an interesting, captivating story. And from what I hear, the book is able to accomplish this much better than Ron Howard could. Some people take movies way too seriously. I'm Catholic and I won't watch not it because of its content, but for other reasons not related to my beliefs.

8. nm+

nm+ Don Cappuccino Staff Member

GPU:
    old
    Very medicore overhyped book makes a bad movie? Say it isn't so.
    Face it folks, Clive Cussler (A trash novel writer with no pretentions of depth) has more literary merit than Dan Brown, and better writing and more complex plots too

9. Thug

Thug Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080

After all, the bible itself as wrote by man and is also fiction.

MATT (hoping this isnt going to spark of a religious debate and have the thread closed).

10. fajitasforme7

fajitasforme7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 7900GTX
    yeah i mean the da vinci code book was good but angels and demons was better.they shoudlve done a movie on that since its probaly less offensive if offensive at all compared to da vinci code.
    hey in clive clusster the guy who wrote sahara?

11. Insomniac34

Insomniac34 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 460 768mb (800/1900)
    To an extent I believe the Bible is fiction. I believe that Jesus existed and was crucified and I believe some of the other stories of the Bible. But for the most part, I think its purpose is to serve as something to live your life by, something to follow, and not necessarily a book of pure truth that we should believe 100%.

And I agree, I don't wanna spark a religious debate, but I felt the need to add a comment there. Hopefully people don't take this too far.

12. silversurfer512

silversurfer512 Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D 7800gt
    Yeah I have only heard bad things about it so I am going to steer clear unless a friend recommends it

13. Woodmasterfox

Woodmasterfox Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI Mobility Radeon 9200
    The DVC being true or not has nothing to do with the fact that catholicism is like a cult.

This is coming from someone with a christian background.

14. GODzillaSDM

GODzillaSDM Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW
    im kinda confused. is this suppose to be a bad movie? or a bad documentary? Are the critics rating this based on how accurate the facts are?

I know this movie is fiction, i'd be watching it for entertainment value. How entertaining is this movie? Anyone watch it yet?

15. glock38

glock38 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon R9 285 2GB
    Just came back from watching it. It was alright I suppose, I didn't get bored anywhere through the film but some dialogue and plot twists were laughable. I'd give it 7/10 at most, worth a watch if you're like me and can't be bothered to read the book but want to know what all the hype is about. :)

16. John

John Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Not surprised at all. Overhyped book made into an overhyped film - the recipe for disaster.

Now, what you all should be looking forward to, is this little goodie: http://imdb.com/title/tt0460829/

*all hail*

17. KCjoker

KCjoker Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 460/w LG 24 LCD
    There's no way the movie could live up to that kind of hype. It'll still make a ton of money though and that's all they care about.

18. Shadowsoldier

Shadowsoldier Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce GTX 660 ti
    Im reading the book right now, almost too page 300. Its very good but I dont know if I will see the movie.

19. UnclePappi

UnclePappi Banned

GPU:
    Asus 680 2gb 1250mhz
    That's a very naive opinion.

20. XL_ence

XL_ence Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX 670 DC2T
    Yeah, just came back from watching this movie. It's not a great movie, but it's deifinitely not as bad as what the reviews say. Anyway, i give it 6.5/10