The current state of Crossfire (smoothness)?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by drac, Oct 3, 2013.

1. Deathchild

Deathchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    I'm gonna do 8x8 on gen3. Emmity what monitor you got btw?

2. Enmity

Enmity Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti FE SLI
    I've got the Qnix QX2710LED. The stand is wobbly as **** but the panel is beautiful. Love it.

3. drac

drac Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Strix RTX2080 Ti OC
    Thought this was added in a recent driver. Your referring to hardware frame pacing I'm guessing?

4. Enmity

Enmity Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti FE SLI
    it only needs framepacing for ultra high resolutions, I think 2560x1600 is the highest rez AMD supports as of the moment but will add support for 4k shortly.

5. drac

drac Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Strix RTX2080 Ti OC
    So by the looks of it the 290x will actually have a hardware solution for frame pacing. Seen many mentions of this but nothing concrete though. If anyone has a link, I'd appreciate it.

6. Enmity

Enmity Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti FE SLI
    I hope the 290X is worth it. I like the look of it and depending on the performance of it I may look at selling the 7970's for 2x 290X's...but this time around i'll probably get DcII's instead of the vapor X from sapphire, these aren't as quiet as I had hoped.

7. k3vst3r

k3vst3r Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro+ 5700XT
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2013
  8. ---TK---

---TK--- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    ^^ I was comparing single card only.

9. ceesay

ceesay Master Guru

GPU:
    2-X Titan X (Pascal) -SLI
    going to get 2 290Xs of if the cf is good...?? got 2x780s sli runs well but ill put 2 290xs in to other rig i know bit mad thats me.....lol

10. Dymblos

Dymblos Member

GPU:
    GTX570
    this apply to 7990?

11. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC
    It applies especially to the 7990, as that card is the card that mostly relies on CrossFire working properly to sell.

You don't need to use VSync + FPS cap to make CrossFire smooth anymore. It's smooth even with no VSync and no FPS cap after the frame-pacing drivers.

VSync + FPS cap will always be smoother than varying FPS due to the nature of synching (hence VSync) FPS with refresh rate exactly. But previously, FPS cap was needed to avoid microstutter, as CrossFire microstutter happened when both GPUs were trying to crank out frames as fast as possible. While FPS cap does not add as much latency as VSync, it also introduces a tear line as it's not in perfect sync with the monitor. So it's usually VSync + FPS cap. Why not VSync only? FPS cap reduces VSync latency and sometimes alleviates stutter in certain engines / games.

12. Dymblos

Dymblos Member

GPU:
    GTX570
    FPS Cap? that is a program?

Vsync should cap the fps to 60fps (60hz monitor) o_O

13. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    different methods for capping the framerate. Vsync attempts to "cap" the framerate at the monitor's refresh rate by synchronizing the frame output to the display refresh rate. So, if the refresh rate is 60hz, you get 60fps. If the refresh rate is 75hz, you get 75fps and so on. FPS Cap attempts to lock the frame output to whatever framerate is specified regardless of the monitor's refresh rate.

14. Deathchild

Deathchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    You can use RivaTunerStatisticsServerBlablaBLa as fps cap.