***The Calzaghe Vs Jones Thread***

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by Risco, Nov 8, 2008.

?

Who will Win?

1. Calzaghe

13 vote(s)
    65.0%
  2. Jones

3 vote(s)
    15.0%
  3. Split Decision - Calzaghe

2 vote(s)
    10.0%
  4. Split Decision - Jones

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Jones Disqualified

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Calzaghe Disqualified

1 vote(s)
    5.0%
  7. Draw

1 vote(s)
    5.0%
  1. Risco

Risco Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 650M
    So who is watching this? I certainly am, but not sure if Calzaghe will be able to out box Jones? Looking at the last few fights, Calzaghe beat Hopkins but it was very dirty and only won because of his workrate. I think it is well known now that Calzaghe does not really have a knockout punch, but rather wears a fighter down with his speed and skill. Jones on the other hand does similar, but also has a knockout punch but for some reason never seems to use it! I have watched a fair few of his fights to get an idea and he seems to win on points a lot. So stamina is not a problem, but he is touching 40 now ( or is he older? ) and lost 3 out his last six fights which suggests a boxer in decline.

Calzaghe on the other hand is getting better like a fine wine with age. He has not lost his hand speed, but can suffer broken hand quite easily and "slaps" ( very hard slaps! ) rather than punches. Some people do not like his style, but his pure boxing skills cannot be denied ( see his demolition Jeff Lacy ) He can also adjust his style to suit ( see Hopkins and Kessler ) However to date I do not think he has come up against the quality of a boxer such as Jones.

So who will win? I would like to think Calzaghe, as Jones is very similar to Kessler. I think the first time he gets hit by Jones really hard will determine the winner. If he can withstand Jones power, then his hand speed will win on points.

2. masterchiefx2

masterchiefx2 Banned

GPU:
    GTX 280 Sli
    gay

Meh boxing got boring. They stop the fights before knock outs and thats what people watch it for.

3. JxL

JxL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMR FirePro Dual D500
    Its probably for the boxers safety!

4. masterchiefx2

masterchiefx2 Banned

GPU:
    GTX 280 Sli
    i wanna see knock outs meh ill stick to ufc

5. Nijohc

Nijohc Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX680 2GB Twin Frozr III
    I would rather watch boxing any day over UFC (men hugging each other rolling around on the floor) although I don't think boxing is what it used to be I'll agree with that.

I think Calzaghe will take it.

6. S31Kronos

S31Kronos Member Guru

GPU:
    msi r4870 1gb
    Ever since the 2 knockouts, Jones seems to be gunshy. I've watched most of his fights, and he fights too defensively now, apparently afraid to get knocked out again. If Jones opens up in this fight, Calzaghe is open to be hit, due to his constant offense. Jones is 37 I believe but still has knockout power, just rarely uses it. It's a tough fight to call, and if it goes to the cards, it could be close or even a draw, but I will go with Calzaghe by split decision:nerd:

7. S31Kronos

S31Kronos Member Guru

GPU:
    msi r4870 1gb
    It is absolutely for the boxer's safety. I watch UFC and have always loved Boxing. Boxing is a much more dangerous sport than UFC (in it's present state), so they have to make sure the fights are ended when one is hurt.

8. Risco

Risco Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 650M
    Yup, one only has to watch the fight of Benn Vs McClellan to see why fights are now stopped ( the catalyst for all the improvements in ringside assistance now ) In that fight Benn got a broken jaw in the first round but continued, and McClellan was dropping his gumshield out of his mouth from about the 7th round due to a bloodclot growing. Suffice to say McClellan is now blind, barely able to walk or move, almost deaf and has a 10 second memory and unable to fend for himself. Also just look at what happened to Ali, reduced to a wreck because he had so many hard fights and retired too late.

UFC on the other hand is all about submission. Sure there are some punchy fights, but certainly not the same level as being punched in the head for 12 three minute rounds.

9. masterchiefx2

masterchiefx2 Banned

GPU:
    GTX 280 Sli
    they get paid suitcases full of cash the least they can do is get battered for our viewing pleasure

10. soul8103

soul8103 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    8600M GT
    i'll be rooting for calzaghe of course. Really enjoy his style of boxing!

11. Stukov

Stukov Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6970/4870X2 (both dead)
    I don't think you understand boxing or at least, perhaps only ever watched heavy weight boxing. In the case of the heavy weight field it is pretty much dominated by either of the Kilitchko brothers, in that they don't really have any real competition.

However, there are still alot of good boxers in the lesser divisions. The lack of 'knock outs' doesn't speak to boxing skill or to how exciting the actual sport is. There are several reasons there are less KOs now than before, one I already mentioned, not many good fighters in the heavy weight division. So there are alot more big name boxing matches in the lighter divisions where KOs were never really common because there isn't as much power behind their punches. The last reason is the sophistication of mouth pieces of today. Technology has advanced to the point that a boxer can spend a huge amount of cash to have a specially made mouth piece that positions the jaw and cushions it in a way so that you are less likely to be knocked out and minimize damage to the brain from chin strikes.

Where you used to only have legendary fighters that could take upper cuts and still go on rather unfased, now even the average fighter can have a decent chin if they poney up the cash.

Knock outs are sometimes exicting to watch, but if you only watch the sport for the KOs or expect one every time it really it kinda loses its appeal.

12. TekkMarine

TekkMarine Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980Ti GTX SC
    Speaking of boxing guess who paid for 5th row tickets to the Amir Khan vs Prescott match. :3eyes:

Biggest waste of money ever ....