The big question... HD6870 or GTX470? Which one to get?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by eclap, Oct 21, 2010.

1. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    IMO the 6870 is factory OC'd. Sort of. Using the old AMD approach with some of their older CPUs (6000+, 6400+) where the default clock speed is so high theres little room left for OC'ing. I looked for OC results for these cards but they're conspicuously absent from most reviews. Legitreviews is one site that tried to OC the 6870 but only managed to squeeze a measly 40mhz out of the card. The 6850 fared better though. So imagine if Nvidia had taken the same approach with the 460 and 470 using very high default clocks leaving only 40mhz of OC headroom left. The cards would be quite a bit faster obviously. With that 900mhz default core on the 6870, AMD appears to be pushing the card near its limits.

2. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]
    i think with some voltage tweaks 6870 should be able to OC for at least 100mhz..

3. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    You've looked at no reviews containing voltage control, which, as we all know, is key to overclocking. Which is likely why it is missing from reviews, because stock voltage overclocking only tells one thing, how well it overclocks on stock voltage, which almost no one cares about. Most of us care about how it behaves/clocks with extra voltage.

4. Ukraver

Ukraver Master Guru

GPU:
    msi r280x oc
    6870 for me £176 u cant go wrong , only slightly dearer than a 460 cheaper than a 470

first impressions using this card it blitzed my gtx 275 on benches same res aa all settings identical so im really happy with performance

i cant fault nvidia neither had 3 nvidia in a row they do make good cards still

5. Sash

Sash Ancient Guru

GPU:
    video
    i think you kinda rushed... but yeah i am curios to see how it performs in a consumer PC and not a benchmark PC for review.

6. Ukraver

Ukraver Master Guru

GPU:
    msi r280x oc
    so far on fc2 18 fps avg quicker than gtx 275 same settings
    f1 2010 in dx9 20 -25 fps more dx11 30-35 fps more
    mw2 dunno because same settings gtx used max mw2 fps but with 4x aa ss about 20 fps more
    heaven bench same settings gtx was 34fps 6870 44fps

about all ive done so far !

7. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    Until the last few years, processors weren't produced with the intention of them being overclocked....in most cases, the processor clocks were set based on what the architecture was capable of, while staying within a certain thermal or power limit with an acceptable degree of stability.

In the case of graphics cards, it's up to the AIB if they want to add a VRM to the card that allows for voltage adjustment. It's very possible that AMD simply didn't want the cards overclocked for reviews and intentionally set the voltage to limit overclocking. If people find out they can buy a $240 graphics card and overclock it to perform as well or better than a $400 graphics card....AMD loses the sale of a high-end card.

When the custom PCB's with voltage adjustment come along....then start comparing overclocked cards.

In Dx11, you'll always see a large improvement in framerates compared to a GTX275. HD6870 allows DirectX 11 to make full use of the graphics card, as opposed to using the CPU for unsupported effects.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2010
  8. Ukraver

Ukraver Master Guru

GPU:
    msi r280x oc
    i ran the benches in dx10 fc2 , ran heaven dx10 for comparison , ran f1 dx9 so i understand what your saying but ive done a direct comparison

also 3dmark 06 2k more 6870 , vantage 4k more gpu score both dx9 and dx10 benches

9. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    3DMark06 is completely pointless to use....it's too heavily CPU bound to even get a half decent estimate of performance for any card beyond the GeForce 7 series. It's interesting to see just how far framerates drop in the first scene though. Also makes me wonder exactly how the scores are determined as my GTX460 gets the same framerates as my GTX275 in nearly every test....yet gets a considerably higher score.

10. Ukraver

Ukraver Master Guru

GPU:
    msi r280x oc
    not pointless with the same cpu at the same speed , and the reason u get a higher score is due to the dragon test which shows the performance increase from your 465 over the 275

11. Sever

Sever Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 3GB 660TI
    uhh, there are OC'd models of the HD6850 and HD6870. the asus model for both of them is OC'd by a whopping 13Mhz. XD

and a fair few of the HD6850s are non-reference. amd allowed its AIB partners to freely release their own HD6850s upon launch. only the 6870 was to remain untouched until amd decides when its okay for AIB partners to release their own versions of the 6870.

12. Daaknite

Daaknite Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 680 2gb
    Im interested in seeing those with 6870's how much oc headroom exists.

Can anyone post their findings?

13. sounar

sounar Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980TI SC
    the 6870 is the better card. i had owned both the gtx470 and the hd5870, the 5870 spanked the gtx470 in majority games i had tried, on average about 10 frames more a second.... and since the 6870 performs really close to the 5870 level of performance, plus uses less energy which in return creates less heat for your whole computer to operate in...id say the choice is simple for me at least....

14. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    40-65mhz at default volts. (40 @legitreviews, 65 @ guru).