1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The big backlog thread

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by MrH, Jul 18, 2016.

1. MrH

MrH Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 Armour
    I recently finished AC:S and I felt it was the best one so far, it was shorter which was a plus as AC games tend to overstay their welcome IMO and it was just more fun to play, the combat was definitely better and I liked the additions like the grappling hook. Plus the real world stuff was kept to a minimum, I really think they should reboot the series and remove the whole time travel memory nonsense and just make period games where you are the character at all times. One thing I didn't like though, which is always a problem in AC games, if you don't do all the side content which is just filler rubbish IMO you don't have enough currency to upgrade your character hardly at all, it would be nice if you weren't forced to do the same side mission 50x to get upgraded gear.

Taking a year break was the best decision Ubisoft ever made though, can't wait to see what they do with the extra time.

2. stereoman

stereoman Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1070 Seahawk EK
    Yeah the AC games are packed with filler, it's a shame that the completionist in me gets the better, can't help but finish things 100%, worst filler for me was Witcher 3 the skellige isles I went to every single sunken ship question mark on the map took hours and in the end I had nothing to show for it other than a clear map,

but yeah I think the AC games strong points are the stories with all the historical figures and I agree the time travel stuff just feels tacked on.

3. adabiviak

adabiviak Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 980Ti
    For the record: at no time am I not playing Borderlands 2... whatever I post in this forum are games that I step into briefly between tours on Pandora.

Bulletstorm

I lost my EA account password from my original disk purchase with a drive crash, and picked this up cheap during the recent Steam sale. It's still a pretty good looking game. I know some people dislike rails, so if that's not your thing, don't pick this up, but I really enjoy the action. At some level, it's silly, but it's chock full of little in-game challenges that are fun to do in the middle of combat, and the weapon options are a hoot.

[​IMG]

4. MrH

MrH Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 Armour
    Finished:

[​IMG]

Price paid: 26p
    Time to finish: 4 hours 42 minutes
    Score: 8/10
    Recommended?: Yes (buy it right now in the Humble bundle!)

I loved it from start to finish and I highly recommend you all buy it now while it's so cheap, it's literally pennies!

The voice acting is some of the best I can remember in recent memory, and the script is fantastic, all the characters feel so real and alive which really adds to the experience. While the game is 4 years old the visuals hold up well as they're stylised and still quite nice even now. The gameplay is also top notch, the weapons all feel and sound beefy and they're a lot of fun to use, your demon abilities are absolutely brutal and just so satisfying. Your little imp companion is hilarious and adds some humour to what is otherwise quite a dark game. Overall I enjoyed it way more than I expected to, and if they ever make a Darkness III I'd be all over it.

On the next one!

5. MrH

MrH Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 Armour
    Currently playing:

[​IMG]

Not sure how I feel about this one, it's OK I guess, certainly hasn't gripped me like The Darkness II did. I can safely say it's not a good PC port though, lacking in options, hard capped to 60fps, hard capped 30fps low quality video cutscenes, encrypted config files, capped FoV, mouse smoothing, Games for Windows Live still required so you need to download a custom DLL to play it offline, the list really goes on and on. It took about 30 minutes of downloading external tools to fix the game before it was playable, and even now the aiming feels off and the game doesn't quite feel smooth even at 60fps. Right now I'd say "meh" sums it up nicely, so my first impressions aren't great but hopefully it picks up.

6. Loophole35

Loophole35 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Too many to list. Being a new dad leaves little time for gaming right now. I still have to finish GTA5.

7. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    You can thank Epic for that. People Can Fly tried to push a much more PC focused version, but Epic wanted it focused on the 360 and forced PCF to strip down the PC options.
    But, the game was still scaled down visually for consoles.

And that would be something EA would have to approve patching out. And, EA have pretty much written the game off.

8. MrH

MrH Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 Armour
    I can't for the life of me get Bulletstorm to run smoothly, even at 60fps it just doesn't feel right, and it seems to fluctuate a frame or two often, no matter the settings (tried 900p on low and it was the same). I've tried VSync on and off, framesmoothing on and off, I dunno, it's just not fluid for me. The gunplay is actually fun, but technically it's a mess so I'm not really enjoying it.

EDIT: Forcing VSync in the NVCP makes the game feel much better, but in turn you get that VSync mouse heaviness which I hate, but I can handle it for the campaign, I couldn't play a multiplayer shooter with it though.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2016
  9. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    I didn't have any issues running it.
    The game has always run super smooth for me.

10. MrH

MrH Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 Armour
    Yeah as I said with VSync forced in the NVCP it feels fine now, but the aiming feels a bit off obviously due to the VSync but I can live with that in a SP shooter. I also don't like how A and D become turn instead of strafe when holding down shift (run) though, that just feels so foreign and weird to me.

The actual game itself is becoming more enjoyable as well, I just did the bit where
    you control a damn dinosaur mech
    which was really awesome. I'm also liking Gray's sarcastic humour and the gunplay on the whole is good, although the enemies do feel a little bullet spongy IMO.

I've been playing so much shooters lately, I think my next backlog entry needs to be something without guns :D

11. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    The game is great.
    The characters and story are actually a lot stronger them most people give them credit for.
    Most only hear the profanity and childish humor, and write off the game as pointless violence.
    But, it's a lot more then that. Adrian Chmielarz of PCF said once that the story they wrote wasn't very profane, and with the language difference from Poland to the states... he never noticed.
    But, after it got really close to release... he saw what Epic had done with the dialog and figured out how profane they had made it. He was really upset with it.

Enemies can be a bit bullet spongy, but it's because they are designed to be taken out with traps and other things in the levels. Not just with straight gunfire.
    Also, the running thing can throw you off at first. But, there are other shooters/games that do the same thing. It's not common.. but it happens.
    Kind of similar to how PCF's first game, Painkiller... didn't have crouching. And BulletStorm doesn't have jumping.
    Which, I agree with. In most games, jumping just seems... odd. Like, in combat, soldiers wouldn't be running around jumping around.
    Few shooters make jumping work, like FEAR... were it can be part of the combat.

12. MrH

MrH Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 Armour
    Finished:

[​IMG]

Price paid: £3.74
    Time to finish: 6 hours 6 minutes
    Score: 7/10
    Recommended?: Yes, when on sale

A pretty damn good game but a sub par PC port. It takes a good 30 minutes of tinkering with custom DLLs, decrypters and config tweaks before it feels playable but once you've done all the sodding about there's an enjoyable game to be played.

It starts off pretty slowly and honestly I wasn't enjoying it that much in the beginning, but it really does get better and better as it goes on and by the end I had fallen somewhat in love with it, in big part due to the characters which were just fantastic, all voiced very well with some brilliant and frankly offensive dialog that I just loved, it's not often you get a game filled with such language that actually pulls it off well instead of just being cringey. All the main characters really felt alive and it really helped push the story along, you didn't just feel like you were mowing down enemies for no reason, you knew their motivation and you wanted to help them get the job done.

The combat itself was solid, sure the enemies were a bit bullet spongy but the weapons were all enjoyable to use and the enemies had decent variety. There were so many unique and fun ways to kill that it never got boring.

Overall I'm shocked how much I enjoyed it by the end as it started off really average IMO but it just kept on improving and the ending was well done. If it had been a better port I would have given it an 8/10, but they really did do the bare minimum. I highly recommend picking it up in the next sale, add it to isthereanydeal right now!

13. MrH

MrH Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 Armour
    Finished:

[​IMG]

Price paid: £1.09
    Time to finish: 3 hours 18 minutes
    Score: 7/10
    Recommended?: Yes, when on sale

I have been playing shooter after shooter lately so I thought I'd play something completely different, this isn't a genre I've ever really played before but I have to say I enjoyed it a lot.

Overall it has to be one of the most beautiful games I've played, the design is spot on in so many different ways but especially the landscapes which are gorgeous and varied throughout. The puzzles are fun but not too challenging, the little mechanics that are added as the game goes on keep it fresh and the pacing feels just right, the game doesn't overstay its welcome like most games tend to do these days. I would highly recommend you play this in one sitting like I did, it's really best experienced like that. Next time it's on sale I'd highly recommend grabbing it, it's well worth and if you go into it blind to the story you'll enjoy it so much more (which is why I've avoided talking about it at all).