The best place for the pagefile ?

Discussion in 'SSD and HDD storage' started by MrBridgeSix, Dec 4, 2013.

1. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Name the apps that crash without a pagefile, let people test

2. ArgonV

ArgonV Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD XFX R9 295x2
    BF3 used to crash before the latest patches solved that with no page file.

Old revisions of Adobe's CS package used to crash (Photoshop, InDesign)

Windows Server domain controllers are not supported without pagefiles set (Along with DFS, certificate, and LDS servers)

There are plenty of database applications out there that will fail if a pagefile is not set.

I've seen Maya crash when doing small renders with plenty of free memory to commit on dedicated machines.

3. IcE

IcE Don Snow Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1070 Mini
    I've never seen a standard desktop app or game crash from having no page file, BF3 included. All I've ever seen is games that won't run without passing the page file check, but even then you can easily disable said check and play fine.

4. joe87

joe87 Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 660 2GB
    just put the page file to the WD HDD. don put the page file in the location where ur OS is installed

5. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Sounds more like crappy coding if an app does a PF check

Btw applications do not crash due to no pagefile, apps do not even see the PF (except for an initial check due to lousy coding) the OS simply does not work that way.

The only way an app could crash without a PF is when the Commit Limit is reached - which means not enough RAM is installed.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2013
  6. pegasus1

pegasus1 Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080Ti@2.05Ghz
    This is the only time ive had an issue, out of interest a couple of years ago i ran MW2 and COD BO in the background with some video editing going on as well, all on an 8GB machine with no PF. No issues found.

I disabled it on my 4GB Laptop and ran into all kinds of issues, normally when playing say FM and switching backwards and forwards between the desktop and game.

Then again my rig is predominantly for gaming, light video and music work.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2013
  7. thatguy91

thatguy91 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 480 RS 4 GB
    Here's an idea! Leave it enabled and quit the arguing! If it needs it it's there, if not, it doesn't matter. If the hard drive remaining space is so small that the 8192 MB, a good value these days, doesn't fit, squabbling over the merits of disabling it or leaving it enabled is the least of your worries.

8. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 2070 Super
    And I still prefer to place page file on every HDD because this can balance the paging activity load.

9. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Master Guru

GPU:
    Msi GTX 970 Gaming 4G
    Going on three years with no Pagefile. Bought an i3 with 8GB RAM sometime in 2010 & stopped using it then, just to see how it worked.
    All I do is gaming, some Folding and your everyday applications. Never had an issue.

When I did use a pagefile, I always kept a dedicated 1024MB on the boot drive (min & max = 1024) and the balance of whatever the OS recommended on my 2nd drive. (Again, setting Min & Max to the same specific amount.) Can't remember reason I did it that way - pretty sure it was advice from some friend or other.
    Just my two cents.

10. Arctucas

Arctucas Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA RTX2080 FTW3
    6GB of RAM and 512MB pagefile on C: (RAID 0) for me; no issues for over two years.

Win7 x64 SP1, basic gaming.