The Best Games of the Decade

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Zenoth, Nov 6, 2019 at 3:54 AM.

1. Zenoth

Zenoth Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080
    Indeed, fellow video gamers, we're already approaching the end of a decade. Before we move on to the 2020s I wanted to take a look at some of the best / most influential or important to the industry / iconic games that the 2010s gave us. Now, obviously, this decade represent(ed) a lot for video gaming, with the following 'major' platforms that came out during that period of time (dates generally indicate the North American releases):

º Nintendo 3DS (2011)
    º Nintendo Wii U (2012)
    º Sony PlayStation Vita (2012)
    º Sony PlayStation 4 / Slim / Pro (2013 / 2016 / 2016)
    º Microsoft XBOX One / S / X (2013 / 2016 / 2017)
    º Nintendo Switch / Lite (2017 / 2019)

And obviously so (but separated from the list above) the ever-present and ever-lasting PC platform. Additionally, I didn't mention it in the list but of course let's not forget about the now virtually countless Indie-style games that came out on Steam and other platforms; yes, even including Mobile ones (of all types and brands, not bothering with names or specific models). I might even be forgetting other perhaps lesser-known platforms but feel free to consider them yourself.

So, I don't know how many of you started to (and if you even thought about it), but is anyone now thinking about which games were good enough in your book to end up in your own personal " 2010s' Hall of Fame " of video gaming? It would of course be very easy to come up with a list of 'x' number of games, where we wouldn't really have to think too much about it and just claim that 'this' or 'that' game was good enough; and we'd each end up with an unrestricted list of 20+, 30+ or 100+ games.

So here's a challenge for all of you willing to participate to this thread.

We will look back at this entire decade's worth of our personal video gaming experiences (which covers the period between January 1st 2010, to December 31st of this year) and answer these two questions:

1) What is your 2010s' Top 10 list of games?
    2) What is THE absolute one, unequaled, unbeaten best game of this whole decade?

I can already imagine that question #1 should be difficult enough. Believe me, I've been trying to do this in my mind just for the past two months or so and I still can't quite come up with my proper 'final' list. But I'm getting there. It's not that easy. However, question #2 is something I'm not sure I'll ever get right. About as much as I've never really been able to have my one single 'Best Video Game of all Time' set in stone (it's often changing in my mind even if I know it's been 'this one' for x number of years). But it should be a bit of an alleviated challenge to ask for your best single game of the whole decade, instead of asking which one you think if the best one of all time.

There you have it. I'll actually come up with my own Top 10 List, and my 'Best of the Decade' title in a separate post later on. I'll give myself until the 31st of December to come back and answer my own two questions. I hope that you guys willing to participate in this thread just for the fun of it will at least take some time to think about your answers. A LOT of games came out during this decade; so do take a moment (you have up to 31st of December, as a small self-imposed challenge on its own) to think about it guys and come back to share your thoughts on this.

Let's just have fun, my fellow nerds!

Last edited: Nov 6, 2019 at 4:00 AM
    Solfaur likes this.
  2. emperorsfist

emperorsfist Master Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1080 8Gb
    Well:

1. The Witcher 3 (and addons) - indisputable, well rounded hit.
    2. Deus Ex: Human Revolution - not as good as the very first game, but to this day it holds up in terms of atmosphere, music (Mankind Divided wasn't as good in terms of soundtrack - not as memorable). The ending was a little rushed, but the decade had WAY worse endings in store for us.
    3. Fallout: New Vegas - if you want to make a 3d Fallout game, this should be the foundation. Not a looter shooter, into which Bethesda turned the franchise into so far. FNV had memorable characters, good story, very good roleplaying choices, and a good soundtrack to it. A bit buggy, so use the unofficial patch.
    4. DOOM 2016 - this was a pleasant surprise after the meh multiplayer beta. To finally have a AAA shooter with way more focus on a singleplayer campaign was quite welcome, and it also felt like a good comeback for the series (unless Bethesda does something nasty with Eternal).
    5. Resident Evil 2 Remake (with honourable mentions going to RE7). This is how to remake a game in a modern day and age with modern fancy visuals and sounds. While there'll always be purists, I can safely enjoy both iterations, and this has been one of those rare games that I've beaten 3 times in a row. RE7 get an honourable mention, because it stopped the trend of overtly action oriented mainline RE games (the Revelations side-series helped too).
    6. Dead Space 2 (and the original one). Again, this is one of those games that I've completed several times over the years. I love the visuals, the story, the horror, the weapons (and their upgrading). The second game was great too (although the Necromorphs had way less health, which I didn't like that much), but f*ck EA for never porting over the DLC campaign. The third one was better than I've feared, but EA's meddling made it into less of a horror game, and more into a 3PS shooter, with lots of really dumb talking...
    7. Dark Souls (the original). I love the Souls series. Dark Souls on PC was my first exposure to it, and it's best in the trilogy in terms of replayability. I like how interconnected the world is, I love the side characters and their personalities, and I enjoy the atmosphere and lore. I also liked the sequels (DS2 has issues, but I've enjoyed it very much - especially after the DLC and Scholar of the First Sin content was added).
    8. The Evil Within. The game was wonky from a technical standpoint (idTech5 and the original 30fps tied animations), but it kept me hooked on the gameplay and atmosphere so much that I've completed it several times. The sequel was really nice, with less technical issues (but not without...), but there's something about the first game's linearity (and a more cohesive story) that I've enjoyed more...
    9 TES: Skyrim. Yeah, I think Skyrim belongs on this list, because of how many hundreds of hours I've sunk into it. I has to be said that without the moddability of the game (and the community that sprang around it), it wouldn't have been able to keep my interest for so long. The main story is boring and absolutely uninspired ("chosen one saves the world from an evil racist dragon"), and most of the mechanics are about as deep as a puddle, but with extensive modding, the game turned in to a pleasant experience for me.

I may update this in the future, but I have to think the rest through...

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019 at 8:12 AM
    Zenoth, styckx and cerebus23 like this.
  3. cerebus23

cerebus23 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    the latest dragon quest was excellent as well. i really enjoyed that RPG.

persona 5 amazing game probably worth considering on the console side, god of war

witcher 3 is a no brainer.

new vegas yea still holds up i was considering modding mine but then there is new vegas fallout 4 conversion and holding out for that or any of the TCs for fallout 4.

guess we will not see cyberpunk before 2020. nor squadron 42 :( to see if either of these might be worth considering.

and doom yes probably best fps though some of the retros dusk and blood and etc? i really gotta pick up dusk at some point.

kenshi worth a mention from the indy side, star sector, MINECRAFT.

Zenoth likes this.
  4. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    980TI Gaming
    Haven't played much games during those years(basically same franchises) but here it goes:

1) Borderlands 3- it is for me the best game of the last decade despite the flaws, would pick BL2+PRS if it has been asked in 2k18.
    2) Tekken 7- easily the best tekken, especially after all the post game release support.
    3) Battlefield 4.
    4) Starcraft II.
    5) Doom 2k16.
    6) COD MW 2k19.
    7) COD Black Ops II.
    8) Batman Arkham Knight.
    9) Mass Effect 3.
    10) Metro series.

The one game i think was the totally best..hmm... well Tekken 7 together with BL3.

Those two games i can play almost under any condition(unless i'm superr tired).

Zenoth likes this.

5. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX1070 iChillx4
    (1) Bloodborne - What a masterpiece, H.P. Lovecraft Inspired Souls game.

(2) Dead Space 2 - My favorite Dead Space. - it was more streamlined then 1 , and the story was better then 3.

(3) The Last of Us - Needless to say this blew me away at the time. I bought it for PS3 and PS4 , it is that good!

(4) Horizon Zero Dawn - I actually delayed to play this. Though naa, it looks somewhat off, its not for me. Never judge a book by its cover guys! after a few hours I was hooked, and everytime i got excited when i wanted to play. gotta do this , gotta do that. i had all plans layed out before i played.

(5) Dark Souls 2 - A very underrated title. Yes the bosses were too easy in the main game (untill you get to the last boss which is almost impossible lol), but the rest of the game , and game mechanics are just awesome. too bad they left go off all these great mechanics for part 3. Oh yeah and Fume Knight from the DLC was also next to impossble lol

(6) Super Mario Galaxy 2 - Yes , on the WII. Everyone and their grandma owned one, and so did I. Man this was a great platformer , I tried it later on the PC but , didnt have the same fun as I had on the WII.

(7) The Evil Within - Finally a horror game which lived up to what the dev said it would be. Inception with a heavy horror theme. just awesome.

(8) Grand Theft Auto 5 - When it came out , I wasnt too happy that it still missed features from previous game. However , it did also add a lot which wasnt there before. countless hours i enjoyed doing missions either in single player , or Multiplayer (which had phenominal support over the years). great game!

(9) Need for Speed Hot Pursuit - For me the last NFS which was fun. it had a awesome single player experience, and after that i raced so many hours online with friends, and some people here from Guru3D. I still play it sometimes. Great game, can now be played in 4k which makes it even more awesome.

(10) The Elder Scrolls Skyrim - My favorite elder scroll is still 3 Morrowind. It had less holding your hand , and you had to read countless books unlike in 5 skyrim. However , when 5 came out , it didnt last long untill there was a huge community dedicated to mods. needless to say i was lost in skyrim for many hours. great game!

Embra, Zenoth and serbicu like this.
  6. cerebus23

cerebus23 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    best of the decade.

ds2 is not even best within the series it exists in, and i personally hated it, its a very divisive title to toss it in a "best of" the decade.

and there is not a game this decade that had had the reach and impact of minecraft. anyone leaving this game off a best of the decade list is simply ignoring it :p.

Zenoth likes this.
  7. SerotoNiN

SerotoNiN Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080
    Mario Kart 8 on Wii U
    Uncharted 4 on PS4
    God of War on PS4
    Mirrors Edge on PC (Came out in 2010 didn't it?)
    New Super Mario Bros on Wii U
    Destiny 2 on PC
    The Division on PC

Zenoth likes this.
  8. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080Ti Ga.X
    For me it absolutely has to be The Witcher 3. There were other good ones for sure (like GTAV, Skyrim, BFBC2, BF3,4,1, even some of the new AC games, the new Doom/Wolfenstein games, DX-HR etc. etc.), but this one stands out as a masterpiece, imo.

Zenoth likes this.
  9. cerebus23

cerebus23 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    best of the best is between w3 and mc imo dark souls close however especially the first. i created its own souls-like/lite genre and its memorable in much the same way as w3 is. still the totality of minecrafts impact on gaming and culture surpasses either of those impacts on the gaming scene. notch is near god tier the amount of money he made of his one little java game it is a phenom.

and when did world of warcraft come out? i hate the game but it had a massive impact but i think it was the late 90s it came out? its effect on the mmo scene, to its near demise is undeniable also.

Zenoth likes this.
  10. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080Ti Ga.X
    End of 2004. As far as MMOs go, it was the best of the best. What's left today is a joke, even Classic release was in the end a disappointment for me, not so much because of the game itself, but the players are just toxic elitist jerks for the most part. I'll stick to single player games, Battlefield games series being the exception.

Zenoth likes this.

11. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX1070 iChillx4
    Being a supporter of Minecraft i have seen it grown over the years
    Funny enough the Gameplay never interested me that much to keep playing. I can safely say , i have never had a wow moment in Minecraft.
    Sure some creations are impressive, however far from wow for me. Probably because the challenge level is really low.

Ps i think the best souls game will always be your first, as Demon Souls was for me. I remember Guru3d member Wanny recommended it to me, and holy crap was i hooked.

Zenoth and cerebus23 like this.
  12. haste

haste Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 @ 2.1GHz
    It has to be Witcher 3. The game is not perfect, but it's without a doubt the best we had in past decade.

Zenoth likes this.
  13. cerebus23

cerebus23 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    ^ i can see that i like building stuff in it that ultimate lego set few of us could afford as kids. so i got tons of hours mining dynamiting building rebuilding over years invested in the thing and its one of those games that hours can melt when you get into it. the mechanics and systems are also interesting. something indy games in general do more with.

Zenoth and WhiteLightning like this.
  14. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA XCUltra 2080Ti
    So... Mass Effect 2 released in January 2010... :eek::eek::eek:

it's a hard list because games keeps getting bigger and bigger.

An Unordered list for me would include:

• GTA V
    • Red Dead Redemption 2
    • DOOM 2016
    • Uncharted 4
    • Witcher 3
    • The Last Of Us
    • Minecraft
    • Fortnite
    • Mass Effect 2
    • Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare - 2019
    if i can't include Mass Effect 2, i'll add League Of Legends :p

Last edited: Nov 6, 2019 at 10:09 PM
    Zenoth and cerebus23 like this.
  15. twonha

twonha Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 280x
    Alright, this is totally personal preference, not at all taking into account what other people thought of these games, and not at all taking into account the dozens or hundreds of awesome '10 games I never touched. I've always kept a list of games I finished, ranked on a five-point scale, and these are the '10 games that I scored 4 or 5 points out of 5.

Some of these games aren't "Game of the Year" material, let alone Game of the Decade, but they're games I thoroughly enjoyed.

1. Outcast: Second Contact (remaster of the 1999 original, made this list purely for nostalgic reasons.)
    2. The Last of Us. Even better in Remastered form on PS4.
    3. Red Dead Redemption
    4. Halo: Reach
    5. DOOM (2016)
    6. The Elder Scrolls: Skyrim. I think The Witcher 3 has largely pushed Skyrim out of our collective memories, but it deserves to be remembered.
    7. XCOM: Enemy Unknown (+Enemy Within)
    8. Assetto Corsa
    9. Rocket League
    10. FTL
    11. SBK X
    12. Far Cry 3
    13. Battlefield: Bad Company 2
    14. Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary
    15. Dishonored
    16. XCOM 2
    17. HITMAN (episodes)
    18. MotoGP 13
    19. Metro 2033
    20. The Witcher 3: the Wild Hunt
    21. Valentino Rossi: the Game
    22. Grand Theft Auto 5
    23. Remember Me
    24. Counter-Strike: Global Operations
    25. Assassin's Creed: Origins
    26. Portal 2
    27. F1 2017
    28. Cities: Skylines
    29. Red Dead Redemption 2
    30. Forts
    31. Titanfall 2
    32. Prey (2017)
    33. MotoGP 19

Honestly, if you'd ask me for my personal Game of the Decade, there's no doubt in my mind that The Last of Us is my winner. I am so in love with that game, nothing else has come close. Again though, that's just for me - I doubt it'd be the universal Game of the Decade. I'm afraid that title wouldn't even necessarily go toward a classic game, but it'd go to Fortnite or Minecraft or something.

XenthorX, Zenoth and cerebus23 like this.

16. coc

coc Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 970 SC
    well... lets do it i guess :) will relate only to PC games.

1. Witcher 3 \ Mass Effect 2 - absolutely cannot pick one over the other. both i consider the two best in this decade. both flawless in my book.

2. Fallout NV - the most enjoyable Fallout game for me.
    3. Skyrim - loved everything about it. amazing achievement despite tons of bugs.
    4. Dishonored - 9.8\10 game.
    5. Mass Effect 3 - despite being the weakest in the trilogy, its still a top notch quality game.
    6. Deus Ex HR - excellent game. loved it.
    7. Alan Wake - yeah.. same thing here. top notch quality.
    8. GTA5 - loved every minute of it. not as good as San Andreas but still excellent worth to mention here.
    9. Dead Space 2 - i also loved the second game best in the series. crazy game.
    10. Bioshock Infinite + Alien Isolation - same level for me.. both around 9.4-9.5\10 and im closing the list with both games :)

Solfaur, Zenoth and cerebus23 like this.
  17. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    Mass Effect 2
    Splinter Cell Blacklist
    AC Origins
    AC Black Flag
    Metal Gear Solid 5
    Ghost Recon Wildlands
    Dishonored 2
    Portal 2
    Skyrim

Cant say Witcher 3, since I started it when it came out and got to level 20 something, but got interrupted by other things for over a year. Couldnt get back into it as I would have to start over from the beginning to reestablish full familiarity with all aspects of the game, something I havent done yet.

Zenoth likes this.
  18. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti XS OC
    Dead Space 2
    Witcher 2
    Witcher 3
    Far Cry 3
    Max Payne 3
    Tomb Raider
    Middle Earth Shadow of Mordor
    Ryse Son of Rome
    Battlefield 3
    Mad Max

The one that really impressed me and is severely underrated in my opinion would be Mad Max. It wasn't just something thrown together to promote Fury Road, it had great aspects from all the movies and was my GOTY 2015.

Zenoth likes this.