The Ampere 3090 price guessing thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Tyson, Jun 24, 2020.

1. Tyson

Tyson Member

GPU:
    Im calling 2500 bucks for the 3090. The 3080 would be 1500 to 1700 US dollars. What do you all think is it worth that much money for 26 percent increase in speed. That is 26fps per 100fps. The card will cost more then a entire multi core beast computer.... They do this because they can. Only 2 players and ATI is doing good with pricing but I will never trust them for CPU or GPU.

2. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD S. 5700XT Pulse
    I doubt 1000+ would work for anything but the Ti model or some Founder type initial batch limited availability and the more enthusiast consumers who will upgrade immediately and price is less of a factor.
    I do expect store price gouging and a bit of a price hike and difference compared to the US and the EU and various parts within the EU though but this isn't the GPU mining years where AMD's and NVIDIA's cards went for way above MSRP and the newer models even launched with prices taking advantage of that fact making for a very weird time to consider a GPU upgrade.

EDIT: Although so far details are based around what, supposed benchmarks leaks and rumors with various unconfirmed sources.

Will be interesting to see what NVIDIA presents though and what benchmarks and all will show these to be capable of plus overclocking and all that and of course pricing and store availability.
    (And if AMD is having their GPU's launching closer to NVIDIA's or before or after and how that will possibly affect things.)

3. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    I don't think we're gonna see outrageous prices this gen, call me an optimist. Is that a bad thing? I think AMD/ATI is gonna come out swinging hard later this year and that is a good thing. I could not buy a Turning RTX GPU because I knew from the beginning it would drive me crazy knowing that RTX is there, but ran like crap. I think we're in for a treat later this year. Let's get things back to normal.

4. G13Homi

G13Homi Member Guru

GPU:
    5700xt 50th
    if the 3090 is under a grand i am in. But my guess is $1699.99 and the TI variant will exceed $2000.00 and people will pay that much for it too.

5. Saabjock

Saabjock Master Guru

GPU:
    PNY GTX1070XLR8
    You boys must be doing some shady high-paying business to 'chuck' out cash that easily for videocards :D:D:D:D.

patteSatan likes this.
  6. wavetrex

wavetrex Maha Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX1080 AMP!
    I would say that they go back to pre-Turing prices:

- $249 for "3060"
    - $349 for "3070"
    - $499 for "3080"
    - $699 for "3090" (or 3080 Ti)

Don't be mislead by the few fools who chucked $1200+ for 2080 Ti, statistically, their numbers don't matter. It' just like the people buying luxury cars... they exist, but they don't shape the auto industry.

There are several reason for why I think so, but the primary one being the launch of a new console generation. This will be the main factor in driving prices of PC stuff in late 2020/early 2021.

Maddness and norton like this.
  7. Saabjock

Saabjock Master Guru

GPU:
    PNY GTX1070XLR8
    Once Nvidia saw there were folks willing to pay those $1200-1600 prices for GPUs...that, I'd imagine...became the new 'gold standard'.
    I can't see them reverting to anything lower.
    It adds to their profit margin to keep them high.
    They'll probably internally convince themselves it is warranted, not to deal with the ire of current 2080Ti owners by offering the newer GPU at lower cost.
    I suspect the 3090 at launch, to be possibly as much as $200-300 more expensive than the current 2080Ti.
    My GTX1080Ti is still getting the job done on every racing sim I currently own.
    When it stops doing that, I get a used 20 series as prices become more reasonable.
    To each his own but I personally will never pay more than $600 for any GPU.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2020
  8. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    That is so optimistic i even chuckled.

XenthorX and patteSatan like this.
  9. TheSissyOfFremont

TheSissyOfFremont Member Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    If those prices are correct I'm definitely going to be l337.

But I seriously doubt it - even if Nvidia lower their prices to deal with consoles, it won't be immediate. Launch prices won't be much more than 10-15% lower than the last ones.

10. wavetrex

wavetrex Maha Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX1080 AMP!
    You send me a Serbian beer if I was right ^.^
    Ok, fine, add 50 to the prices of 3060 and 3070, so $299 for 3060 and $399 for 3070, the other two would stay as I already posted.

Here's the factors why I think NV cannot charge ridiculous prices anymore

1) Console YEAR!! - People would say "Errr, FECK this, I'm buyin an XBox" if GPU card is double the price of a console.
    2) AMD is certainly back to the high end, how much... we don't know. But the console specs certainly prove that they are capable.
    3) Economic shrinking, people simply don't have that much money... have you looked at United States lately ?
    4) NV got hit quite hard with low Turing sales... investors won't take that anymore.
    5) Mining craze dead and buried. The only miners today are in China and are using ASICs for the most part, or cheap 2nd hand gpus.

"Ampere" is not launching in a void where nothing else matters...

They can't price their products out of the market. Just a few fanboys paying $1000+ for a GPU does not make business sense if everyone else goes to the competition (consoles, cheaper AMD GPUs)

Last edited: Jun 28, 2020

11. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    Anything over current Turing prices very unlikely due to...
    - competition with potentially solid product.
    - consoles may now be viewed as an alternative to ridiculous PC gaming hardware prices.
    - poor economic conditions worldwide, higher shipping costs.
    - Nvidia is incredibly fanatic at preserving market share, and higher prices will severely impact that.
    - those willing to pay ridiculous prices are such a tiny minority in the overall GPU market that relying on them for sales does not serve as a good business model. Nvidia needs volume sales to prosper.

Only scenario I see for high prices is if yields for top chips are very poor and in limited supply. Cant see that happening for the lower tier cards (their bread and butter).

Maddness and wavetrex like this.
  12. Spets

Spets Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti XC Ultra
    They're also not seperating their pro chips like they did with Volta/Pascal.

13. BladeRunner

BladeRunner Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 1080Ti STRIX
    There is no way in hell I ll be paying over a grand. Not.a.chance. 699,799,899 is only fair.

14. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 Gaming X
    I don't think 3090 will cost more than the outrageous price of 2080Ti that some did pay because there was no competition at that moment. This time there will be competition and setting a price point of $2000 or more than some have guessed would be a fatal business decision since the card would hardly sell at all. The Titan line has always been a niche product and will probably stay that way. 3090 will probably be that "oomph" product that is still in the mainstream family of graphics products and can therefore not cost crazy money. nVidia is a business and they need to sell their stuff, this is a gaming card after all.

As always most people will go for the low and mid-range cards though.

15. sneipen

sneipen Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 1080
    Hmm, a 2080ti still cost about 14-1800usd here. Even domocards cost above 1200usd... Turing pricerange seems to be about a step up from pascal, pascal one step up from the 9 series. My 2080 did cost about the same as a 1080ti..And gives about the same performance. Not a good development for us pc gamers... :confused:
    I doubt prices will become better, it depends on what amd card is capable of and what price they will charge. If nvidia continue to dominate there is little reason for a mid end card cost the same as high end cost some years ago, and the "real" high end chips will continue to cost a minimum of 1200usd.

Will not be shocked if nvidia tried to charge 2000usd for a high end card if condition in the market is right... Amd can also charge higher prices considering nvidia has pushed pricerange up in the mid end + by allot. Shows consumers are willing to pay more for less, so i will be very surprised if prices drop to what they where when gpu market was "healthy"..
    If big navi isnt released i think a high end gpu from nvidia will cost minimum 1500usd, and up to 2000usd. If amd can compete, think cards will be in the pricerange of turing, maybe amd prices will be 15-25% lower depending on how th

Last edited: Jun 29, 2020

16. wavetrex

wavetrex Maha Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX1080 AMP!
    @sneipen
    Have you read my post below the one you quoted ?

I explained in several points why I am almost certain the price will come down this round, they HAVE to.
    nVidia doesn't like to lose marketshare, and RDNA1 already hurt them, they won't make the same mistake again, and now they have two things to worry about (New high-end AMD GPU and ALSO new consoles !)

2000 USD for a GPU is simply ridiculous when you can buy a 500 USD console and do the same thing.

17. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX1070 iChillx4
    I dont think they see consoles as a thread at all, and they probably know exactly what AMD is cooking up for PC's. $449 $699 $899 $1300 is my guess.

18. sneipen

sneipen Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 1080
    I didnt.

1. One can hope. It depends on what console cost will be. I havent seen anyone saying price will be 500, iv seen speculation that console's will probably go up in price.. Also, one could argue low end chips (todays mid end in someways) performance is good enough for many. Prices on the 60series hasnt gone up as much as high end. Tho, if i remember right the 2060 did go up some because performance, and reviewers dosent seem to mind for the same reason. Ignoring its natural newer tech perform better.

2. See post above. Its still not a argument that high end cards pricing will go down to more "normal" level.

3. True, take in mind i live in eu and not us. But i agree, but its not a reason prices will go down. Looking at what turing cost today, or even pascal. Dosent seem to have a big impact.

4. Maybe. Tho, a companies like nvidia would like to sell as little as possible for as much as possible. Nvidia has shown this for than once.

5. Mining craze calmed down some time ago. If i remember right it died down before turing got released. I tough it would affect prices more than it has.

One could argue that nvidia dosent want to sell as much as possible high end turing chips. Maybe production cost, etc is a reason for a 2080ti costing as much. But one cant ignore that prices went up before turing came, tho as you say. Mining was popular. One can also take into consideration that other fields rely on gpu's, like AI etc. A area nvidia has turned allot of attention to, not that they have a choice if they wanna survive.

Didnt say i think next gen high end will cost 2000usd, only that i will not be surprised if nvidia tried to charge it.I would be more surprised if next gen titan cost under 1400usd if amd isnt threatening them.

https://www.komplett.no/search?q=rtx 2080ti&sort=PriceAsc:ASCENDING

19. wavetrex

wavetrex Maha Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX1080 AMP!
    Pascal and especially Turing were both launched in a void, with very little to no competition whatsoever (in the highest end)

When Pascal launched with +60% performance over Maxwell, AMD was still stuck with derivation from 7970, and after that they responded (very late) with that horrible 4 GB "Fury" ...
    Then Turing was priced at whatever NV wanted.

There were no new consoles, at that point PS4, XB1 were already 5 years old and completely outdated.
    AMD's new 5000 series got severely delayed and, while recovering a lot of the performance, it was too late for the price setting on Turing launch (but DID force Super line to be better and cheaper !)

This year it's different.

Not only there are clear indications (including talks from Lisa Su herself) that RDNA2 will compete in the high-end, and proof that it's certainly capable of doing that by looking at console specs.
    ... but also the new consoles themselves, as I said 3 times already in this topic. They are a massive market driver, especially during launch year !

You can't compare 2016 and 2018 with today and just "assume" it will be exactly the same.
    Completely different market conditions.

---
    Finally, your link with 2080 Ti price in Norway is completely irrelevant for this discussion.
    Everybody and their dog knows 2080 Ti is severely overpriced (everywhere) for what it can do, and had no competition...

That will no longer be the case this time, and 2080 Tis will drop in price (on 2nd hand market) like MAD after new gen launch (to half the price at least)
    If you, the reader, have one ... I suggest you get ready to sell it before everyone catches on of the price drop.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2020
    alanm and TheSissyOfFremont like this.
  20. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 390
    I don't expect lower prices than with Turing. Maybe Nvidia would hesitate to increase the prices for reasons stated in this thread by others, but I doubt they will lower them for a few reasons:

1) They do have commanding market share and lots and lots of people default to Nvidia, unless AMD presents something totally amazing, not just something equivalent.
    2) Fast memory is expensive, yet new cards need lots of it, so that's one factor keeping prices up.
    3) AMD's prices won't be as cheap as some people hope, either. AMD doesn't want to sell for low, they have been forced to, but they would rather not.
    4) Nvidia has seen that people are willing to pay. If nothing else helps, they might shift the categories a little bit so that people would buy one step lower for a bit higher price. Those wanting the top models will buy them no matter what.

Before the Turing prices were revealed, I used to think of 2070, but now I'll just think of 3060, as long as it has 8GB of memory, not insufficient 6GB.