1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The AMD Ryzen All In One Tread /Overclocking/Memory Speeds & Timings/Tweaking/Cooling

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by chispy, Feb 22, 2017.

1. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX GTX 1080
    That is not typical Ryzen behavior that I have seen or read. Most likely something to do with the bios. Was this behavior present when using other bios versions? I have nothing, grasping at straws. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will have a clue.

2. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega 64 XTX LiQuiD
    AMD Hosting Threadripper 2 Event At The End Of July In Maranello

[​IMG]

AMD (via Videocardz) has an event happening in late-July in the beautiful landscape of Maranello.
    This also happens to be the hometown of La Ferrari and considering AMD announced it would be sponsoring the Scuderia Ferrari F1 in April earlier this year, the implications are of an epic press-only event (with fun stuff like a factory tour).

The company announced it would be sponsoring the Scuderia F1 team a couple of months back and the biggest take away from this is that they finally have the capital for this kind of marketing again – which is absolutely great news for tech enthusiasts. AMD is back in full form.

The entire event will apparently be about Threadripper 2000 series and I am sure some tangential relationship to Ferrari’s racing car and philosophy will be established during this time.
    The exact date is unknown and all we heard is “end of July” which we can take to mean the last week of the month.
    All of the press that received the invites are under NDA and TR2 was listed as the official reason for the event (that doesn’t mean there can’t be any hidden surprises from the company).

This is what the company had to say about its collab with Ferrari:

As part of the collaboration AMD will also be making available their technology portfolio to Scuderia Ferrari.

“The AMD passion for high-performance computing products perfectly matches with Scuderia Ferrari’s dedication to high-performance racing leadership,” said John Taylor, chief marketing officer at AMD. “Scuderia Ferrari is a world-class innovator and brand. We are excited to partner with them in linking our high-performance brands to accelerate the strong momentum around our products.”

Now we haven’t actually heard anything of the sort, and it is pure speculation on my part, but it occurs to me that this would be a great time to introduce automotive related products should AMD have any.
    I can see no causal link between Threadripper 2 and Ferrari, apart from the obvious and generic luxury brand-high performance-raw horsepower brand connections.

Threadripper 2 maxes out at 32 cores, and there isn’t a V32 engine in existence that Ferrari uses – so there won’t be a direct core-to-valve analogy to be found anywhere (unless they try to equate V8s to CCXs) for petrol heads and tech enthusiasts.
    We can just wait and see what the company has in store for us once the event actually happens.

[​IMG]

PS. Yup i have my own World record in GTR2:
    Car - Ferrari Maranello 650HP
    Track - Barcelona GP 2003
    Time - 1.27.287
    (ahh the Good old Times :D )

Last edited: Jul 1, 2018
  3. Picklepie

Picklepie New Member

GPU:
    gtx 970
    Sorry it took me a little time but i checked the bios again and it seems like i missed the bios released in june i had the bios of may installed (probably did not check the naming good enough). I've installed the latest bios and the problems seem to be solved still strange behaviour though. This weekend I'll most likely try to stresstest everything thanks for the help though. the first indication by some aida testing seems 3.8ghz @1.30-1.325V seems to be the target and the ram seems to be running fine at 2800-16-16-16-36.

thanks!

4. BigMaMaInHouse

BigMaMaInHouse Member Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 1080Ti AMP Ex
    Hi all, Just returned to AMD after 13 years (first PC with Athlon 64 3000+). Got 2700X+ Asus Prime Pro X470 2*4 G.skill V 2400mhz.
    I have one problem, Getting only 1640~1720 in CB R15,
    So I thought it's the stock cooler, so I bought Antec Kuhler k240, but the score is the same, Max all core turbo is 3815~3911 MHz with max Vcore @ 1.52V.
    I think I lost the Silicone Lottery :-(.

5. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    That's is crazy talk you did not lose the Silicone Lottery.You have to figure out what is the best settings for your 2700X.
    Just do what HH did in his review for CB R15 I am sure you will get the exact same result.
    Also if you want extra points in CB R15 do what other people do run the bench in real time.
    Also try BCLK overclocking and run 2700X above 4.3Ghz and you will get good results in CB R15

BigMaMaInHouse likes this.
  6. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -NDA +AW@240Hz
    You are apparently using automatic XFR/PB. That leaves you at mercy of your board. Default Power limit is likely 105W when only XFR is enabled and 125W with Precision Boost on all boards.
    Now, in situation when all cores are under full load, voltage should not be 1.52V, that's voltage required to reach 4.35GHz. At clock you mentioned, MB should use something like 1.35V.

So, you have few options:
    - If MB has voltage offset, you can reduce automatic voltage by like 25mV and observe change, then 50mV and repeat, ... till CPU becomes unstable under load or under situations when it is switching power states/clocks.
    - Go to Precision Boost detailed manual settings for power and increase default Power limit to like 160W if board can handle it. (Some boards let you set higher, but still are internally limited to 160W or so.)
    - Manual OC which leaves chip permanently at set up clock and voltage.
    - Manual OC via PStates. (Allows CPU to downclock when idle.)

As for your 2400MHz ram, try to OC it at least to 2866MHz, it will help a bit too in some applications. (But CB R15 is quite memory bandwidth and timing insensitive.)
    And BCLK, ignore it for now. That's for times when you know your CPU well. +without async. frequency, you'll be moving clock for all buses which will make some devices unusable or at risk of corrupting data.

BigMaMaInHouse likes this.
  7. BigMaMaInHouse

GPU:
    Zotac 1080Ti AMP Ex
    Thank you all, I left all @ stock setting in bios(4011 latest) and only tried to enable the XMP profile(D.O.C.P.) for the memory, stock voltage, Max vCore per core goes upto 1.52V, all core ~1.35V.
    The big Problem - I can't OC, any change to Multi- it gets locked to 3200Mhz(x32) in windows but in task manager I see "CPU->Base speed:" the frequency it should be after OC.
    Is it Bios/MB related or it could by my old Win10 (used my ssd win win10 on new pc- it works).
    https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/2700x-x470-prime-pro-setting-cpu-multi-locks-it-to-x32.421887/
    Hope Asus will release new bios soon, all X470 board still at AGESA 1.0.0.2a while only ROG CROSSHAIR got Update Agesa Code to 1.0.0.2c.
    Can't believe the even cheap X470 Gigabyte board got it before Asus.
    P.S- don't buy the Antec Kuhler k240 if your PC on the table near you and you want Silent PC, I can Hear the Pump noise(hmmmmm) and after you notice it one you can't ignore it.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2018
  8. Webhiker

Webhiker Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080i SC2
    [​IMG]

Do you have the Auto / Default option in Overclock tuner ? If yes then select Auto and it will clock higher. The clocks you report sounds like it's on default.
    If you have performance enhancer then try setting it on level 2 and set the CPU voltage to 1.350v then it should go to ~4200 on all cores and ~4300 on single core
    You may need to increase the CPU vcore a little.
    So ... If you have these settings in your BIOS then

Set Ai Overclock tuner to Auto .. not default (Clock will go to 100,6 on auto and stay on 100.0 with default)
    Set Performance enhancer to level 2 (you can also set it to 3 and get almost 4.5 GHz single core but then you need to change a lot of other things as well)
    Set CPU vcore to 1.35v

Regarding AGESA 1.0.0.2c:
    For the first time ever I'm able to boot into windows with D.O.C.P enabled with my 2 x 16 GB ram @ 3200 MHz.
    It fails in Ramtest when reaching 7%, but it's a good starting point and I have never been able to do that before.
    Always had to run special tweaks to get it to 3200 MHz. So I'm looking forward to Ryzen 2.

9. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX GTX 1080
    Do not leave Performance Bias on Auto. Change that to CB15 and you will see better scores. That is all that needs to be done. Improving the score from there is where one needs to do what the others have stated.

10. devastator

devastator New Member

GPU:
    gtx 1070
    hi im new here but my ryzen 2700k goes to 5ghz for about 01 secs on cpu z 1.85 is this a bug

11. BigMaMaInHouse

GPU:
    Zotac 1080Ti AMP Ex
    Thank you all for your Help!
    Finally I found out why I could not change Multi (stuck at X32), the stupid reason was that I had to manually install AMD Chipset drivers, even tho Windows update installed it on first boot.
    X42 multi@1.375V in bios and drops to 1.3V in HWMonitor_x64 while CB running (1.35V crash on CB R15).
    Edit: 4.2@1.375 was't stable, back to 4.1@ 1.33V for testing, prefer less TDP.
    DOCP active 2400MHz.
    all other settings on AUTO.
    GPU:1080Ti Amp xtreme

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 9, 2018
    jura11 likes this.
  12. gerardfraser

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    Nice to read you have what you were looking for in CB15.
    I would be interested in seeing you run a game benchmark like rise of the tomb raider @ 4.1 and then run one with XFR/Boost and see what the difference is.

13. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega 64 XTX LiQuiD
    [​IMG]

PS.
    Also new AGESA 1.0.0.4 & 0.6 is coming -> it will Feature better RAM OC capabilities ;)

14. BigMaMaInHouse

GPU:
    Zotac 1080Ti AMP Ex
    Something strange, I have downgraded the bios to 4008 and now the max all core turbo went up-to 3941 from 3788~3850, CB score ~1743.

15. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega 64 XTX LiQuiD
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2018

16. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    SAPPHIRE NITRO 390x
    maybe asus isnt issuing anymore updates for strix b350-f board?
    last updates are from April, 3 months now..
    Im stuck using the march bios, because my memory speeds wont work on the April bios.

17. w0nderz

w0nderz Member Guru

GPU:
    GB R9 390X G1
  18. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega 64 XTX LiQuiD
    What Option for HPET is best for Our ZEN CPUs?

I've tested some Options (Cmd As Admin):
    To view bcdedit settings type: bcdedit /enum
    BIOS for HeroVI is 6201 Stable:

1). Disabled & deleted Values:

bcdedit /deletevalue useplatformclock
    bcdedit /deletevalue tscsyncpolicy
    bcdedit /deletevalue disabledynamictick

[​IMG]

2). Enabled

bcdedit /set useplatformclock true
    bcdedit /set disabledynamictick yes

[​IMG]

3). My Best settings for ZEN:

bcdedit /set useplatformclock false
    bcdedit /set disabledynamictick yes

[​IMG]

The last one is my Default for a very long time.
    Particularly good for FreeSync setup ;)
    Today i was curious & tested some other Values/Options.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2018
  19. gerardfraser

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    Not sure if it is a bug/glitch but I have seen my 2600X hit 4.8Ghz in windows task manager under performance.I have seen other post saying the same.

20. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega 64 XTX LiQuiD