The AMD Ryzen All In One Tread /Overclocking/Memory Speeds & Timings/Tweaking/Cooling

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by chispy, Feb 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Hi there Amaze , what type of cooling are you using and what are the temperatures while running prime95 ? Also SOC 1.2v it's a little high , recommended SOC voltage 1.1v to 1.15v and it is true it helps only with memory stability and not cpu stability. Bare in mind prime95 it's a very hard test for stability as it puts an unreal super high load on the cpu , i only use wprime , Aidax64 stability test , games and my day to day programs that i use and it has worked very well for me.

What is your memory type , speed and size as that information would greatly help. i would recommend starting all over again , leave the memory at stock , start at 1.35v for cpu 1.1v for SOC , 1.72v pll , llc at 3 for cpu and 3.8Ghz go up in increments of .25 multiplier until it crash then add .05v cpu voltage , rinse and repeat until stable.

regards: Chispy

Last edited: Aug 27, 2018
    jimpsar likes this.
  2. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    I do not think it is best approach. I would start by lowering voltage and increasing LLC to have lower 24/7 voltage when system is not under load and lower Vdroop when under load.

Secondly, Clock CPU to 3,7GHz, and slowly decrease Voltage till it becomes unstable. Mark stable/unstable edge.
    Increase Clock to 3,8GHz and bump that edge voltage by 50mV. Find and mark edge of stability again.
    Take CPU to 3,9GHz and increase Voltage by difference between 3,7 & 3,8GHz Voltage difference *1,2 as there is progressive need for voltage. Find Edge of stability again.
    Repeat for 4,0GHz...

Let's make scenario where you have 3,7GHz stability edge at 1,19V and 3,8GHz edge of stability on 1,24V.
    Then you start 3,9GHz testing at (1,24 - 1,19) * 1,2 + 1,24 = (0,05) * 1,2 + 1,24 = 0,06 + 1,24 = 1,3V

Secondly, as you have more points, you can actually see how fast required voltage increases, as moving by 100MHz from 3GHz to 3,1GHz requires much smaller bump than moving from 4GHz to 4,1GHz.

In some cases you'll have to bump that weirdly named 1,8V Voltage. Maybe to 1,85/1,9V.
    Not sure about your board, but if you use BCLK OC, it will likely not be stable at above 102MHz anyway, but even that may require small bump on SoC voltage from default 0,9V to 1,05~1,15V.
    = = = =
    I use method above for all OC. With intel platform I kept track of all voltages from 3,7GHz and found edge of stability for each. Then returned them to stock and increased clock and repeated. Requires quite a lot of time, but you'll know exactly what to bump for next step. (I even kept track of bench results and power consumption under IBT and similar. Anything that is important for you should be tracked.)

chispy likes this.
  3. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Here is an example for reference purposes only , i used and set only SOC to 1.15v for DDR4-3600Mhz Cas 14 and used PLL voltage set at 1.80v , cpu voltage to 1.55v for cpu at 4576Mhz all in Bios ,but it was only for a short time for benchmarks purposes and temperatures were subsero on my water chiller at -21c. . For 24/7 stable i use only 1.38v cpu voltage ,1.72v. pll , SOC 1.12v and llc3 for 4300Mhz on cpu , DDR4-3600Mhz Cas 14 at 1.50v and it is stable under custom H2O cooling.
    * Pictures are not showing at Guru3D :/ wierd*

Look here: http://hwbot.org/submission/3925449_chispy_cinebench___r15_ryzen_7_2700x_2128_cb

( @Hilbert Hagedoorn , ( i think there is a problem with posting images here at Guru3d , can you verify that please , thank you Boss ) None of my images shows using TinyPic.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 27, 2018
  4. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV

5. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4070 ti TUF
    Yeah I don't like Prime95 at all. There is nothing I'm going to do that even comes close to the kind of load it does. I have seen some recommendations for Realbench, gonna try that. Also got Aida64 ready to go.
    My memory is Corsair Vengeance 3000MHz. It's Hynix AFR so I don't think it will go far above spec. I won't touch the memory until I get CPU finished anyway.

I'll try to make some time this weekend and re-test. Will report back. Thanks for the tips guys.

6. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4070 ti TUF
    Ok so I have done some testing now and this is what I've got so far, using Realbench 15 min stress test.

3,7 needed 1.106250v
    3,8 needed 1,16825v
    3,9 needed 1,23125v
    4,0 needed 1,3v
    at 4,1 I hit a wall with vdroop. Had to enable llc3@1,41875 or llc5@1,4v to get it stable
    4,2 llc5@1,49v crashed immediately on starting Realbench.

Also I found Cpu-z voltage to be incorrect, it shows higher voltage than both HWinfo64 and Ryzen Master.

chispy likes this.
  7. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Amaze , what kind of cooling are you using and what are the temps like while stress testing ? 1.49v for cpu it's kind of high for 24/7 use , i would recommend a max of 1.45v for cpu for 24/7. Hopefully you should be able to run 4.2Ghz on that cpu but it depends on the silicon lottery really.

Do this , set 1.45v maximum for the cpu in Bios , 1.80v pll , LLC for cpu level 3 ( no more than that ) try to increment the cpu multiplier in bios at .25 increments eg. 4125mhz , 4150mhz , 4175mhz and retest with stress test. You should be able to find a happy medium between 4100mhz and 4200mhz if your cpu does not do 4200mhz meaning you lost the silicon lottery :/ .

After that we will work in getting your memory overclock and tighter timings , i will help you out with that. Good luck and post back the results and the information on cooling and temps requested.

Kind Regards: Chispy

Amaze likes this.
  8. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
  9. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4070 ti TUF
    I have a Noctua NH-D14. At 1.45v temps peaked at 74.8c. It's a bit warm in here right now after I've been gaming for a couple of hours coupled with a bit warmer weather again, so I expect it will drop some degrees by the end of the month. I'm actually sweating in a t-shirt atm.

I tried your settings at 41,25. But with llc3 the voltage drops to 1,431 under load with 1,425 minimum. Lasted only 3-4mins.
    Bumped to llc5 and voltage stays exactly the same as what I manually typed in. However it still froze after 12 mins stress test. So I guess 4,1GHz is my limit?
    I think I got an early batch as well as my CPU is stamped 2017.

chispy likes this.
  10. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Well my friend i believe that's all she got :/ sadly that's how the silicon lottery goes. Do not worry 12 threads at 4100Mhz it is still a beast of a cpu :). I too have lost many times in the silicone lottery. Amaze run this stable overclock of 4100Mhz for a few days to make sure it is stable on everything you do. After 5~7 days if you want i will help you get the most out of your ram ;). Good luck !

Amaze likes this.

11. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Guest

GPU:
    -
    I know this thread is specifically about AMD Ryzen CPUs, but I would really appreciate some input on a potential CPU change and future upgrade.

I was planing on upgrading from my i5-7600K @ 4.7GHz to Ryzen+, but unfortunately there was little to no gains in my high refresh rate 144hz racing games.

Hold on for Ryzen 2 (wait -> hype -> disappointment?) or would it just be easier to throw my i5 out on the streets and take the 7700K route?

It seemed like the right choice when I purchased my current setup in the beginning of last year, but I could really need a few additional threads for VR.

12. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090

RzrTrek if you are really after high refresh rate 144hz i can only suggest 2 things , One: get an Intel 7700k delid the cpu apply liquid metal on the die and heatspreader go with a good custom made liquid cooled system and overclock it to 5.3ghz~5.5Ghz , Two: or wait for Zen 2 :) wish should have a big jump on performance for Ryzen cpus.

* There you go , you asked i answered. No more questions and comparison between Intel and Ryzen cpus please , do not derail this dedicated Ryzen thread , i was kind enough to break the rules of this thread just for you but it won't happen again. Thank you in advance for not asking about intel on this amd Ryzen thread in the future. I hope you understand.

Kind Regards: Chispy

Jagman likes this.
  13. Jagman

Jagman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    16GB RX6800
    I agree with Chispy, but you could do both 1 and 2, bit expensive though :eek:

chispy likes this.
  14. Webhiker

Webhiker Master Guru

GPU:
    ASRock Radeon RX 79
    What resolution do you play in ?

I game in 1440p with a 144 hz monitor on a 1080Ti / Ryzen 2700X.
    I had a i7 4790k before going to Ryzen 1800x, which is now my server.
    Could I get higher FPS in PUBG or The Division by running an I7 @ 5 Ghz .. sure. But there i nothing wrong with the way it plays now.
    Besides I do a lot video conversion and editing and the Ryzen 2700x shines there.Besides, the money I saved by building a Ryzen rig, gave me
    a nice vacation.

OnnA likes this.
  15. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Guest

GPU:
    -
    1080p@144hz (freesync) without anti-aliasing.

chispy likes this.

16. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    16/32 + CF Vega64 LC :eek: = 4k HDR Easy

17. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4070 ti TUF
    Been running nicely since Sunday. Hitting 45c while gaming.
    Ready to start on the memory :)

chispy likes this.
  18. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Hi there Amaze , let's start with posting all the information from your ram. Size , Maker , Model , speed , cas latencies , voltages. Download Thypoon Burner ( Here: http://www.softnology.biz/files.html ) and run it to see exactly what type of ram you are running.

Amaze likes this.
  19. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4070 ti TUF
    Corsair Vengeance 3000MHz 16GB, 15-17-17-35, 1.35v
    Part number H5AN8G8NAFR-TFC

chispy likes this.
  20. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV