The AMD Ryzen All In One Tread /Overclocking/Memory Speeds & Timings/Tweaking/Cooling

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by chispy, Feb 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    I would suggest 3 options , 1st been the best choice 2nd and 3rd been the optional choice but very good alternatives:

In that order:
    -------------------

1. MSI x470 Gaming Plus
    2. Asus ROG Strix B350-F Gaming
    3. MSI B350 Tomahawk

ps: ( I did not include Gigabyte motherboards because they have trouble with memory and stability , Bios not as good as others. In my opinion it is not worth the hassle. )

Last edited: May 25, 2018
  2. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    So, I was checking some stuff with 2400G today:
    https://s33.**********/qdj8aoxlb/2400_G_Default_PStates.png
    https://s33.**********/3ou1b48hr/2400_G_Custom_Voltage.png
    Too bad that one can't edit Voltages in PStates (as they are practically ignored).

3. harkinsteven

harkinsteven Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Check out the Asrock Master SLI/AC X470 board.

4. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    Had enough of my fans sounding like a jet taking off. Rolled back to bios 3008. All the settings/voltages are the same as were on 6004 and the rig is a million times quieter. Pros of the switch is that the fans are back to normal, the nvme drive is back to running at spec speeds, and games actually seem to be more fluid. Con is that ram latency as measured by Aida64 is higher by .2ns.

5. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    [RUMOR] Ryzen 3000 12-16 Core CPUs in the Mainstream AM4 Socket by Next Year

Before closing out this piece I would be remiss if I did not mention one of the most eye-brow raising rumors that we’ve come across and it’s this.
    AMD is allegedly going to be raising the bar once again next year by pushing the mainstream core count from 8 cores to a maximum of 12 to 16 cores on the AM4 socket.

The rumor out there is that we’re looking at 16 core Ryzen 7 chips as the new norm in 2019. However, according to private conversations we’ve had with incredibly knowledgeable people in the industry the actual core count figure might be closer to 12 cores.
    With that being said, anyway you slice it that’s still a LOT of cores. An unprecedented number of cores for a mainstream consumer-class socket in fact.

[​IMG]

6. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    ^
    I'm really curious how that "Improvement on Zen in Multiple Dimensions" will look like.

Are there any leaks about Zen2 arch changes yet?

7. Webhiker

Webhiker Master Guru

GPU:
    ASRock Radeon RX 79
    I would love a 12 core mainstream CPU :)

8. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    I cant change the baseclock on my 370 board. Dont see the option anywhere sadly. I have got it stable @ 4ghz but it breaks the audio in BF1, BF4, and its annoying.

9. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Well my very old AMD FM1 3650 APU + Biostar AG75MG FM1 + 8Gb ddr3 htpc rig just died on me :( , the motherboard made a click noise when i went to turned it on the other day in the morning and smell of burned electronics all over the place , one cap was leaking next to the vrm and it went south on me. I have had this htpc rig for around 7 years now ( since 2011 ) , it was a great tiny machine and never had a hick up until now. I will be doing a new HTPC rig built with a Ryzen 5 2400G APU + 16GB DDR4 mem ( G.Skill Flare X ddr4-3200 Cas14 Ryzen optimized memory ) + ASRock AB350 Pro4 AM4 mobo. I was holding up until the Ram prices come down to make this built ,but it seems that won't happen anytime soon :/ as Ram prices are still very high at the moment :confused:. I have no choice but to make a new built as we enjoy and use daily the htpc rig on the house. Hopefully it will last me as long as the old htpc ~7 years.

Out with the old and the dead :p

[​IMG]

In with the new :)

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 27, 2018
  10. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    @chispy
    That sucks it died. Sadness.

Your making me wanna do something with my 1500x on my desk.
    My HTPC is somehow still kicking. Its my old q6600 rig from 2010 just no overclock now and different parts.
    q6600@ 2.4
    6GB DDR2 667
    MSI P35 Neo2
    8400 GS 512 HDMI
    I want something that can handle 4k video.

Thinking 8GB DDR4 2133, 1500x, cheap as hell A series board, and a RX 550 or GT 1030.

There is a 8GB 2133 DDR4 kit for $70 local. $120 for a DDR4 2400 16GB local.

But I feel 8GB is more then enough for a 4k HTPC.

chispy likes this.

11. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    @chispy : If it is just Cap or other thing around, clean the board, inspect and try to replace it. Nothing to be lost anyway.

For my 2400G I got cheapest memory available... 2x 2666MHz 1.2V Crucial Ballistix (So bad timings that they did not even wrote them on the box).
    But I got them running well on 3200MHz @ 1.32V. Issue is that this Gigabyte AB350N has bad memory voltage control, it jumps between -50mV and +100mV from what I did set (HWiNFO64/BIOS readout) and there is almost no airflow on outer stick... Otherwise it would get to 3200MHz on like 1.28V.
    So I have them currently at 3000MHz CL16.

As for gaming difference, from 2666 to 3200MHz gain is between 10~15%. But going from 3200 to 3000MHz and fixing timings makes it equal.
    That memory you have there (while very good) is not exactly necessary. And costs like 50% more than mine. I invested that money into smaller board w/ WiFi.

Then advice. If you are going to use Automated Core Boost, check if board you have has VCore offset. As that applies to voltages set up by default PStates and saves quite some watts (cooling). On testing I had -130mV offset and still stable. Saves like 25% of Power. (Manual settings I have took down Power consumption under full load by 35%.)

If you are going to OC iGPU, check power consumption before and after. For me, OC from 1240 to 1280MHz (3.2%) meant 2.5% higher performance, but 30% more Power draw on iGPU under load. And manual clock in BIOS prevents iGPU from downclocking to 400MHz at idle.

chispy likes this.
  12. SplashDown

SplashDown Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980ti Classy
    YA I just made a HTPC out of my 8350, put back on default speed ect. 8 gig King Hyper X 1866 and a 770 I had sitting for graphic, works great streaming TV and thats all it does well maybe surfing now and then on my 55 inch. With power saving stuff on ect. it hardly uses much juice. I did'nt have to buy anything just had all kinds of chit laying around from previous builds or upgrades ect.

chispy likes this.
  13. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Same here bro , i needed something that can handle full 4K support , streaming tv , Blu Ray movies , gaming , heavy browsing , etc.. and in some way be future proof. I say Go for it :) , there is a wide option of good cheap motherboards for Ryzen 3

The Cap was destroyed and it did release some kind of chemical that eat away the pcb , hence there was damage to the pcb layers of the mobo meaning not suitable for repair :/.

I got the flareX memory because i will overclock the heck out of the cpu/integrated graphics and memory ( at least is my plans , will see how that goes ) , i need to squeeze out every single ounce of performance in order to be able to play all kind of games at decent fps , hence why i went with a full atx board that can overclock both the APU and Ram. I have some water cooling gear that i will recycle for this built ( AM4 Raystorm water block , combo bay reservoir/pump , swiftech 240 Rad ) , power consumption is not an issue for me my friend , priority is max performance out of this built and silence. Really is just a fun project to see what performance i can eek out of this built :)

Great to hear you recycle your hardware and came up with a nice htpc built. I'm recycling most of my stuff except for cpu , mobo and ram :)

Last edited: May 28, 2018
  14. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    I see, but liquid cooled APU poses one big danger, SoC/iGPU VRMd may have insufficient cooling even with CPU fan installed. Liquid cooling makes it much worse. I added 40mm fan to shared CPU+SoC VRMs heatsinks. And it is controlled by SoC VRMs temperature as that is higher.

That's not because I have Liquid cooling. I have stock heatsink with fan taken apart, reversed. It is outputting heat directly through mesh of IN-WIN Chopin. Reversing decreased ambient temperature inside (under load) by 20~25C. But sucking does not pull much air from lower part of heatsink (MB, VRMs). I could have use electrical tape to prevent air being sucked through upper part of heatsink (and maybe I will).

And as far as performance goes. I was impressed since highest power consumption I got in stress tests was 72W CPU+SoC (But I have 3.6GHz + downvolt).
    - Dead Island DX9 70~130fps depending on location and weather no normal details.
    - CS:S Benchmark IIRC average ~240fps maxed.
    - Path of Exile Maxed 55~120fps again depending on location and weather. Heaviest are Imperial Gardens with Rain. But taking AA from 8x to 0x makes it perfect. Probably injecting FXAA would be best as Driver refused to force 2xAA-HQ or MLAA. (maybe I picked wrong exe)

Then I noticed few things. Board for cousin, which has D-SUB, DVI-D, HDMI ports refuses to go over 60Hz on 1080p, does 120Hz on 768p. My board with DP + HDMI does 240Hz easily. Even at boot time it goes to 120Hz mode. And that DP can do Freesync on borderless fullscreen. But HDMI does Freesync only on "exclusive" fullscreen. Even while Windows 10 actuall no longer has Exclusive Fullscreen.

Last edited: May 28, 2018
    chispy likes this.
  15. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Thank you for the feedback my friend. I will check how hot the vrms get once it's fully overclocked , if necessary will place a fan directly towards the vrms. I found a great deal on a good ( Lots of airflow ) ,and very cheap Corsair Carbide Spec-02 case wish i bought last night and end it up costing me only $24.78 shipped :D , refurb/open boxed/used like brand new Corsair Carbide Spec-02 = $43.47 - $8.69 Amazon Warehouse Discount - $10.00 Credit i had on my Amazon account = $24.78 US Dollars Shipped.

https://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Carb...id=1527514132&sr=8-8&keywords=corsair+carbide

16. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    New Bios for Asus CH VI - http://www.mediafire.com/file/gj3ux0orwyh5ehm/CROSSHAIR-VI-HERO-ASUS-6201.zip

Beta BIOS 6201

- AGESA 1.0.0.2c
    - Fixes fan calibration wrongly detecting 90+% min duty
    - Fixes APM settings (restore power on AC loss)
    - Adds an ACPI-WMI interface for sensor readings. It's the first release and may still have bugs. For example there's an issue where some temperatures and VRM current will read 0 at the moment. Latest HWInfo64 Beta will pick this up, not sure about others. This is the SIO sensor fix you've been waiting for. It will only be working fully when all software are using it.

Posted by Elmor at ocn.

17. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4070 ti TUF
    What's your experience with the DRAM Calculator? Any good gains to be had?

chispy likes this.
  18. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    I tried long time ago it did helped tuning my Ram , but manually tweaking your Ram will take you further by trial and error but it is time consuming.

Regards: Chispy

Clouseau likes this.
  19. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    +1 to what Chispy said.

Finally took time to read the DRAM Calculator thread at OCN. The posts helped me more than the calculator itself. The calculator gave me ideas but none of the settings set verbatim as stated worked for me. The Stilt's Ryzen Timing Checker(RTC), posted at Techpowerup, helped me more by letting me see how the bios set all those dram bus settings when on fully auto. Looking at all the postings in the C6H overclocking thread on OCN helped as well. My settings are a spattering of what others have used and some are all my own, not seen listed anywhere. The calculator will provide you with a good jumping off point as well. It just did not do much for me. Love the new version of it. Hope he keeps it updated. My tertiary timings are all my own that I found by trial and error that ended up working great.

If going for tighter timings, keep in mind that Tcke needs to be reduced the tighter the timings become. Finally worked out CAS14 (14-14-14-14-32-46-1T). All it took was changing Rttnom to RZQ7 and Tcke lowered to 6. All the other settings and ram strap used remained exactly the same. For some reason my imc loves DRAM voltage of 1.40v and an SOC offset of -.01250 & LLC2.

Amaze and chispy like this.
  20. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    Here is good ~4015MHz OC with P-States + ZEN States

If you wondering why o why my system is less OC capable when you put it on P-states?
    This is your answer, you need to adjust V as it should be.
    Too low in Mid/Lowest section will get you hard freeze in Gaming.

Here is -> 1500Mhz up to 4018Mhz Stable [​IMG] (I have 105 FSB)
    Average in Game ~40-65tW (40 is Forza, 65 is BF1)

Then you will maintain stability.

[​IMG]

jura11 and chispy like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.