The AMD Ryzen All In One Tread /Overclocking/Memory Speeds & Timings/Tweaking/Cooling

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by chispy, Feb 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gigabytes

Gigabytes Active Member

GPU:
    RX480 (Vega dreaming)
    It would appear the new code is not part of this bios, going to check it out anyhow. Just hop it will let me downgrade if I have to.

2. ddelamare

ddelamare Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D GTX 1070 X4
    So far the 0612 bios is only showing up under the 32-bit os selections, maybe a newer bios will be available soon with the agesa code

3. Gigabytes

Gigabytes Active Member

GPU:
    RX480 (Vega dreaming)
    Well 0612 is no different then 0604 with regards to my hardware. Stability issues above 2400. Am going to play with it a bit more after work and perhaps run it till the weekend and see if I can get any stable results. If I can't achieve what I can with 0515 then I guess I will revert back and wait some more for the new AGESA.

4. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX GTX 1080
    Looking at the Prime X370 Pro QVL for ram, there has been no improvement past 3000. That list was issued on May 22nd. It appears they have managed to get the slower speeds nailed. Now its time to nail the faster speeds. AMD needs to grant access to the secondary timings or at least allow a choice between 1T and 2T for command rate. Why did they force 1T? Thought 1T was considered overclocking.

EDIT: The longer this non choice continues the more am beginning to think something is inherently wrong with the design implementation; an actual need for 1T.

EDIT2: "... the differences in the PCB will dictate whether the module is able to perform at a command rate of 1T or 2T..."
    http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/176007-30-dram-command-rate-explained

It's an old article but still sheds a little light on the decision path either AMD, board partners or both took.

Last edited: May 24, 2017

5. Gigabytes

Gigabytes Active Member

GPU:
    RX480 (Vega dreaming)
    Well I may get the wife drunk this weekend, convince her she needs a new work pc in her home office. Buy a new mobo for me along with new memory and use the prime mobo and current memory in her new build.

I would probably go with a ASRock Taichi which was my first choice but unavailable upon Ryzen release. Being impatient I bought what was available.

6. w0nderz

w0nderz Member Guru

GPU:
    GB R9 390X G1
    bios ver. 0604
    - my system was stable with +0.2v offset and some LLC tweaks
    - RAM wise, highest speed was 2666MHz, 4 DIMMS

bios ver. 0612
    - my system is now crashing the very first 2-3 seconds of CB15 benchmark, with exact same offset (+0.2v) and same LLC tweaks.
    - RAM highest speed still the same 2666MHz, 4 DIMMS, won't post if set any higher.

Didn't notice any benefit/improvement so far with this new version, while I clearly noticed a degradation of stability running same settings I had with ver. 0604.

7. Webhiker

Webhiker Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC2
    0612 BIOS date is may 15 .. so it's 10 days old !!
    Why it's being posted at this time is beyond me. We must be very close to a new BIOS with the new version of AMD's Generic Encapsulated Software Architecture. So I really don't see the need to post a 10 days old BIOS with nothing new in it.

8. Ripcord

Ripcord Active Member

GPU:
    gtx1060 3GB
    Dose not look good for a may release. the b350 plus has version 0613 also dated the 15th. I'm not too hopeful that its going to improve my memory speed as the new qvl dated the 22nd hasn't improved my memory kit speed at all.

9. Whiplashwang

Whiplashwang Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080Ti
  10. Gigabytes

Gigabytes Active Member

GPU:
    RX480 (Vega dreaming)
    Well, I cannot revert my bios back to 0515 and 0612 is around a -30% in memory performance. Asus has told me I cannot revert. They won't do anything, very disappointing. Am going to talk to the retailer about replacement or possible upgrad to a CH6 or ASrock Tachi but its been like 70 days since purchase so I am not holding my breath.

Last edited: May 26, 2017

11. Webhiker

Webhiker Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC2
    I'm a bit reluctant to tell you how to downgrade your BIOS.

1. I don't know if it will work on this particular board. I have done it on other ASUS UEFI boards. Intel based.
    2. There is a chance you will brick your board.

Basically you need 3 things ..

1. A bootable flashdrive with DOS on it - FAT32 formatted
    2. AFUDOS 4.xx from AMI
    3. ASUS BUPDATER

If you want I can send you a link to a guide.

EDIT

Have you tried the BIOS flashback method ?
    Where you plug a flashdrive, with the correctly named BIOS, into the white colored USB port on the back.

12. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX GTX 1080
    Bios flash back does not exist on the ASUS Prime. Only similar option is actually corrupting the bios to the point to where the crash free bios kicks in. Have tried that option already trying to go back to version 0511...no dice. What is truly needed is the UEFI equivalent of the Engineering version of AFUDOS.

Was afraid this was going to be the case. Last rig, had to use the engineering version of AFUDOS so flash back to previous bios versions. Not all bios versions that came out for the board were actual improvements. Some made overclocking impossible, some required more voltage to keep the same oc stable. Being able to flash back to prior versions needs to be an option just like those boards that offered to automatically unlock cores. Workarounds should signal this.

13. Webhiker

Webhiker Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC2
    In the manual on page 3-31 it mentions ASUS CrashFree BIOS. Where you can restore a BIOS using the motherboard DVD or a USB Flash Drive, when the BIOS file fails or gets corrupted. But if you can use that option to restore the BIOS to an older veriosn I don't know and haven't tried.

ASUS BupDater is on the support DVD. I will try to flash the X370PRO.CAP file from the support DVD just to see what version it is. BRB.

EDIT
    It doesn't look good so far.
    I tried getting AFUDOS to display the BIOS version but no luck so far.
    At first it simply said BIOS is write protected ..doh! So I did some digging and found out that the only version that works is APTIO 5 AFU version. So I went to AMI and downloaded that, but sadly it doesn't contain a DOS version (it does but it's named .efi - no clue what do do with that) So I fired up the windows version and it works just fine. But it doesn't display any BIOS version information. I haven't tried flashing any BIOS version from windows .. not sure I will try either.

14. Gigabytes

Gigabytes Active Member

GPU:
    RX480 (Vega dreaming)
    I have basically argued with Asus support over 2 instances for an hour over this issue.

The problem I have is this, the 0612 bios release notes did not state that this bios could not be reverted. I also believe that this issue with getting memory over 2400 is and IMPOSED restriction. I believe this bios is reading my memory information and based on that is imposing a 2400mhz limit. Not exactly what I expect from a motherboard advertised has overclockable. The actual description should now be overclockable but we are restricting that overclock.

At 2400mhz my latency has increased by like 40%, transfer rates are 72% of where they were on bios 0515 with my 3200 overclock.

I almost feel like intentionally bricking this motherboard then calling up Asus and saying yea I was just talking to you about this issue that you said you can't help me with then suddenly your motherboard bricked.

15. Gigabytes

Gigabytes Active Member

GPU:
    RX480 (Vega dreaming)
    I wouldn't try, lol. Both Asus support reps I spoke to said this bios cannot be flashed back.

I feel like I bought a Corvette, 460hp then I take it in for a recommended service and they swap out my engine for a 6 cyl at 280hp mom and pops brand. Then they say oops, sorry but can't switch it back.

This motherboard has turned into a Asus ****show, no idea why they would even release this 0612 bios, specially without a flashback disclaimer and maybe mentioning that they are imposing ram overclock restrictions based on the ram kit identifier.

I do however appreciate the efforts you both put in to find a flashback resolution. If by chance you come up with one let me know.

16. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX GTX 1080
  17. Webhiker

Webhiker Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC2
  18. Webhiker

Webhiker Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC2
    SUCCESS ... I managed to downgrade the BIOS on my board to 515 !!!

Edit

After Clouseau asked what version of AFUDOS I was using I realized I made a BIG mistake. I was using the wrong version of AFUDOS. So I got the right version and flashed 511 with it and then 515 with bupdater. The I reset CMOS and I'm now running BIOS version 515!!!
    Pictures will follow.

Edit

AFUDOS Flashing pictures

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BupDater Pictures

[​IMG]

Now running ....
    [​IMG]

What I did was.

1. Create a bootable USB flash drive with DOS+FAT32 filesystem.
    (I already had one so no need for me to do that)
    I cannot remember how I created a Bootable USB Flash with DOS on it
    Since it was years ago I did that. But I'm sure you can find a guide somewhere.
    In all the excitment I completly forgot to say that you need to boot from the USB flash drive to use AFUDOS and bupdater ... doh!
    So tap F8 during POST or DEL to enter BIOS and then F8 to select boot device.

2. Go to https://ami.com/en/products/bios-uefi-firmware/ and download the "Firmware update tool for Aptio V" extract it and under \AMI AFU for Aptio V\afu\afudos you will find a zip file named AfuDos.zip. Inside that zip will be the AFUDOS.EXE file which you need to copy to your flash drive.

3. Copy the bupdater.exe file from the support DVD from directory \Software\Bupdater to the USB flash drive.

4. Copy the 2 BIOS files you will need to flash your BIOS with. Why 2 BIOS files you ask. Because bupdater will not downgrade your BIOS, so you first flash oldest BIOS file with AFUDOS and then the one you really want with bupdater. I wanted to flash 515 just to test it, so I copied 511 and 515. Then I renamed 511.cap to first.cap and 515.cap to second.cap.

5. Flash first.cap with AFUDOS : afudos first.cap /P /B /N
    when it's done flash second.cap with bupdater : bupdate /isecond.cap

After flashing is complete power down and clear CMOS. When it boots it will take some time before you see a result .. 20 secs or more so don't panic.

So ...

1 .Boot from USB flash
    2. Flash first BIOS file with AFUDOS
    3. Flash second BIOS file with bupdater
    4. power down
    5. Clear CMOS
    6. Reboot and enjoy.

Final EDIT

I'm currently running BIOS 604 (AGESA 1.0.0.4a). I flashed it from within the BIOS without any issues after downgrading to 515.

Last edited: May 27, 2017
  19. Gigabytes

Gigabytes Active Member

GPU:
    RX480 (Vega dreaming)
    Thanks for the info, I will possibly mess around with this over the weekend.

After speaking with my retailer, they will take the board back (despite me having it since the 11th of march) however a 25% restocking fee, they wanted 50% at first but I whined and cried until they agreed to 25%. I am wanting a board with a external clock generator cause I've got the Bclk itch so I may bail on this board anyway now that I have a semi reasonable out.

20. Endymion

Endymion Active Member

GPU:
    Asus 1080 Ti STRIX
    Can someone explain to me this - when I boot with 4100 overclock and try to run Overwatch, it's just crashes entire system and go to reboot. BUT .. but .. if I go to bios, set 4000, boot to windows, then reboot and set 4100 again, then run Overwatch .. it's just works fine. What the hell is this?

Last edited: May 27, 2017
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.