1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The AMD Ryzen All In One Tread /Overclocking/Memory Speeds & Timings/Tweaking/Cooling

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by chispy, Feb 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti - RX 580
    Thank you for providing the screenie. Please update to Bios 0083 as that Bios improves memory compatibility , overclockability and provides 2T for those Hynix AFR memory sticks.

Go into the Bios and up the the cpu core v.voltage by increments of .05v to see if that helps as well as this other voltages , SOC to 1.15v , set Memory voltage to 1.38v in bios , set DRAM Boot Voltage to 1.38v in bios. we are trying for stability and good memory speeds + better timings.

Try running even numbers all across the timings 18-18-18-38 2T or 16-16-16-38 2T at 2666 divider or 2933. You have an option to increase the FSB until 104.8 and keep pci express at 3.0 as well as everything else will be running problem free ( sata 3 controller , etc...) , that should net you better memory speeds at those timings as the 3200 memory divider it's not working properly with Hynix ram right now so i suggest to stick to 2666 or 2933 divider for now with tighter timings. Play with the voltages. I hope that helps.

It is time consuming but it pays off to tweak and test all available options posted above. I have also found on my long testing that Raw higher memory speeds ( example DDR4-2933 cas 20 ) , no matter the timings be it tight or loose do in fact benefits more than lower memory speeds and tighter timings ( example 2666 cas 18 ) , so in fact raw high memory speeds it's always better than lower speeds and tight timings on Ryzen.

Also the new Agesa microcode 1.0.0.6 it's here and it's just a matter of days before the new bios are available to everyone :) bringing a ton of improvements specifically for memory overclocking at higher speeds and compatibility with more memory dividers.

Good luck and let me know how it went for you.

Regards: Angelo

2. keenan

keenan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980Ti Hydro Copper
    Ever heard of the motherboard that struggled to run DDR4 slower?

Well, you guys are in for a treat..

So I'm running 2 x 8gb Adata XPG Z1 2400Mhz CL16@1.2V

I have been running these at 2933Mhz CL14 @1.35V since last night, but for the life of me I can not get them back to 2400Mhz. This POS motherboard has so nany issues..

* Values set in bios does not count at all.
    * Save over clocking setting to profile 1.. awesome feature, until you try to load it again and it sets everything to auto :puke2:

3. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX GTX 1080
    That being that case, Aida64 is your best friend. Previous rig's board had bios versions that would override certain settings or offset them. Aida64, Everest back then, was the only way was able to dial in the proper settings.

4. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX GTX 1080
    As requested here are the results using HDTune 4MB Fast test:

VDDSOC @ 1.01875v
    [​IMG]

VDDSOC @ 1.10000v
    [​IMG]

5. Gigabytes

Gigabytes Active Member

GPU:
    RX480 (Vega dreaming)
    I ran the Samsung Magic benchmark and got some results between a default bios, auto@2133 and an auto@3200 with a 1.10v SOC, 1.39v DRAM and +0.025v offset to core. Ran the bench mark 10 times at each speed and it was very consistent.

Sequential reads and writes are virtually the same between auto@2133 and auto@3200. But auto@3200 gets some gains in random IOPS, specially writing.

auto@2133
    [​IMG]

auto@3200
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 6, 2017
  6. __hollywood|meo

__hollywood|meo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 @1.55ghz
    thanks! it appears that theres something funky going on unrelated to the drives actual transfer speeds, as i suspected. could be a chipset driver quirk potentially. have you updated to 17.1?

assuming that your slower boot @higher SOC voltage is consistent, not just something that happened once - ya might want to report this to your mobo manufacturer in case it has anything to do with microcode-level initialization of the pcie lanes upon boot

7. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX GTX 1080
    Yes, chipset drivers were updated to 17.1 and were uninstalled and installed again to make sure all was good. Not able to put my finger on it but must also have some connection with my not being able to flash back to a bios prior to 0515; even when I purposely messed up the bios installation and it resorted to Crash Free status, anything prior to 0515 is a no go. Now this.

8. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti - RX 580
    Weird stuff indeed Clouseau. Hopefully it will get sorted on the next Bios with new Agesa code.

9. Gigabytes

Gigabytes Active Member

GPU:
    RX480 (Vega dreaming)
  10. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX GTX 1080

11. Arbie

Arbie Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6GB
    I'm amazed you can get an X58 mobo to run a Ryzen chip at *any* memory speed.

(Or are you talking about some other board / CPU?)

12. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
  13. Gigabytes

Gigabytes Active Member

GPU:
    RX480 (Vega dreaming)
    Yes that is the latest driver, also check firmware.

14. jststojc

jststojc Maha Guru

GPU:
    gigabyte gtx285
    hey guys, which mobo would you suggest for a build with ryzen r1700 and 16 (2x8) or perhaps 32gb (2x16) ~3000mhz ram and trying to get best oc voltage/freq wise (3,9/4ghz perhaps)./ Probably 2x8GB is preferable for ocing to ~3000mhz as much as i read around - actually there are no reviews with 2x16gb and high ram speeds... anyone has experience there?
    The Asrock gaming Fatality K4
    or the Gigabyte Aorus gaming K5?
    From the specs the gigabyte seems better, but i have to admit i have an asrock z97mitx board and that one is just top notch, the bios is awesome, its stable, the audio is sick, asrock has great support.
    on the other hand the gigabyte has better VRM on the paper, dual DAC, support for higher RAM officially and dual gbit ethernet, i didnt like the bios so much from what i saw on reviews and im not entirely happy with gigabyte quality from earlier (mostly gfx cards).
    thanks

15. Elder III

Elder III Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Both Red and Green
    Well, from what I have read so far, combined with my own experience with Ryzen - AsRock seems to be ahead of the pack with the new AM4 platform. I think the Gigabyte Auros K5 did quite well in reviews, but from top to bottom in their product line I think AsRock is best so far.

16. Odellot

Odellot Master Guru

GPU:
    2080TI SLI PG348Q
    I'm very impressed with the Ryzen 5 1600..Overclocked at 3.9ghz and paired with a Cheap Cooler..It outperformed a 7700K @ 5.1ghz..

Glad I sold Our Family PC's 7700K with RX 480 and bought a Ryzen 5 1600 with RX 580..

TimeSpy Comparison:

[​IMG]

FireStrike Comparison:

[​IMG]

17. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX GTX 1080
  18. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX GTX 1080
    Do not want to rain on your parade but from one of your previous posts when the 1600 was paired with the 480 and at the same 3.9 if came extremely close to the 7700 but was still under the 7700's performance. This gain you are seeing is entirely from the 580.

19. Odellot

Odellot Master Guru

GPU:
    2080TI SLI PG348Q
    Yes...But that post, My motherboard's BIOS is still old..Now I've tested with updated BIOS and Physics and CPU Score went up on the same CPU Overclock..

I don't think a faster GPU can increase Physics Score of Firestrike and CPU Score of TimeSpy..

20. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX GTX 1080
    Ah, so there was undisclosed information involved.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.