The AMD Ryzen All In One Tread /Overclocking/Memory Speeds & Timings/Tweaking/Cooling

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by chispy, Feb 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. __hollywood|meo

__hollywood|meo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6700xt @2.7ghz
    [​IMG]

voltage scaling starts breaking down at ~3.5ghz. before that its linear. after 3.8ghz it starts getting wonky.

[​IMG]

start to see diminishing returns @about 1.3v-ish. this looks like its a pretty clear process limitation, i.e. newer steppings should address this stuff (to some effect, at least)

Last edited: May 3, 2017
  2. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Those timings are terrible.

What kit are you using?

3. Pinscher

Pinscher Guest

GPU:
    1080 ti Duke
    R5 1600 OC Results

Hey guys, i Thought i'd post these results in hopes to help others out.

Setup:
    Asrock AB350 pro4
    R5 1600 @ 3800
    f4-3200c15d-16gb (black and white, i forget the whole model number) @ 2933 15-14-15-15-36 1.35 volts (i don't know if that 14 is a bad thing)
    GTX 1060 stock @ 1708 MHz / 1506 MHz OC to +100/+700

then SSD's what ever right?

Now, i only tried for about 30 minutes to get my 2933 to post, after i failed for about 1 hour of trying to get 3200 to post. I'm not sure what else i can do than increase my Dram voltage to increase stability as i do have an B350 board and the settings are limited. I felt the 2993 was "good enough" as most folks are still having issues. I plan to revisit this once support is updated by AMD/Asrock.

If anyone has any suggestions on my RAM timings, that'd be nice.

After checking the website MSI website i noticed my GPU OC isn't much, i'll increase it when I try again.

Enjoy your new systems guys!

4. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    Vengeance LPX LED 3000mhz. These were rank 1 ram. rated iirc 15-15-15-32 or so. But noway I get to run these at those timings. It is still better then 16-15-15-32 I've used on 2666mhz because the damn fabric works good bit faster now.

I hope to get these to 20-17-17-36 once I get around to it. Unless new AGESA comes before that.

5. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    Do we have any news regarding the possibility of dynamic overclocking (higher OCs on less active cores) coming in the future?

This is a fairly big thing for me as I often use one or two high-speed threads (gaming) but sometimes need a load of lower-clocked cores (content creation). Having played around with this on X79 (3930K) limiting my power to 200W I know it can be done well on intel, but atm it seems to be something missing from Ryzen.

6. Bentez

Bentez Guest

GPU:
    Palit GR RTX 3080
  7. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    Recently noticed that when I dialed back my setting to what was originally stable the NVMe drive showed better performance. Went on a hunting expedition and found that the VDDSOC setting has a great influence on the performance of the NVMe drive. When booting up and it is set at 1.1v, those dots cycle 4.5 times before hitting the desktop. When VDDSOC is set, where the cpu was originally found stable, at 1.01875v those dots are not seen for even a full single cycle; one dot is left on the screen before hitting the desktop.

Long story short, short story long, have found that VDDSOC starts to negatively affect the NVMe drive performance past a certain point and 1.1v is definitely past that point. This is at least how it was found on the Prime X370-Pro, both bios 0515 and 0604 exhibit this same behavior.

So, 1.1v may get you better ram compatibility but it is a trade off with NVMe drive performance.

8. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    I don't think you're getting much benefit(or any) at those timings.
    Ryzen already has a DRAM latency issue and having 20CL isn't helping.

It's probably a wash. Did you actually benchmark differences in CPU limited games?

9. keenan

keenan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980Ti Hydro Copper
    Hi everyone..

I got some questions..

I just got a Ryzen 5 1600, MSI B350 Tomahawk and 16gb Adata XPG Z1 2400Mhz memory.

Got everything fired up and everything runs fine.

Tried some overclocking and I can easily run 3.8GHz @1.25V, but that seems to be where it ends. I have tried 3.9GHz all the way up to 1.425V, but it's as if the CPU has a hard lock at 3.8.

Is there anything zi am missing? Tips Tricks...

10. __hollywood|meo

__hollywood|meo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6700xt @2.7ghz
    how are your temps (cpu & mobo VRM)? do you have spread spectrum disabled in BIOS? this setting causes instability while OCing more often than not.

would you do me a favor? can you run a read-only bench like HDtune (4-8mb block size, fast test speed) with both SOC voltages & see if theres a difference in your results?

SOC is the cpu memory controller, but also the pcie bus...among other things like SATA & usb etc

Last edited: May 5, 2017

11. keenan

keenan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980Ti Hydro Copper
    Yes, it's disabled.

Also looking in windows, while stress testing hwmonitor reports 3.7Ghz while CPU-Z thinks I'm at 3.3Ghz.. :puke2:

12. Elder III

Elder III Guest

GPU:
    6900 XT Nitro+ 16GB
    Well, I have to say I definitely am liking my new motherboard. :nerd: This Asrock X370 Fatal1ty Professional Gaming motherboard can run my GSkill DDR4 3200 CL14 RAM at it's max rated specs right out of the box. This memory is not on their QVL list, but it has an XMP profile in the bios and runs at 3200 CL14 right out of the box. My last motherboard could only do 2933 (which was still nice).

As a tradeoff I have to up the VCore on the CPU in order to maintain a stable 4.0 ghz under load. If I have the RAM set at the default 2133 Mhz I can run the CPU at 4.0 Ghz at a mere 1.35 VCore (just like the last motherboard). If I wish to run the RAM at it's rated speed of 3200 Mhz then I have to bump the VCore from 1.35 to 1.425 in order to be stable under load. Since this is still lower then many people need to maintain 4.0 Ghz I am comfortable with this. The CPU temps are higher now, but still stay at ~71C under max load even with just a Corsair H60 120mm AiO cooler.

I'm quite pleased with this setup and can highly recommend the AsRock X370 Fatal1ty Professional Gaming. :cheers:

13. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    Will run the bench when get home. Just to note, the SATA SSDs were not affected, just the NVMe drive.

EDIT: the cpu maxed @ 61C and the ram maxed @ 36C With a 24Hr Prime95 run. Did not look at the VRMs.

Last edited: May 6, 2017
  14. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Can you run this program and check what type of memory you are running ? use this and post a screenie - http://www.softnology.biz/files.html . I will give you a hand and try to get your memory running at better timmings or speed but it all depends on the memory ICs.

New Agesa 1.0.0.6 it's upon us with a whole bunch of new memory support for high speeds. This one is the Big update everyone it's waiting for :) , very soon we will have new Bios based on Agesa 1.0.0.6

Well we got XFR already since launch date ( XFR - Extended Frequency Range. )

Nice find and thanks for sharing.

What type of cooling ? Can you tried with memory at stock 2133Mhz speeds and use AMD Master Overclocking utility and overclock from within windows to see where you end up with ?

Great to hear that :) , ASRock motherboards are always great !

15. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    New AMD Agesa microcode 1.0.0.6 Bios to be released very soon , all around great news ! :D DDR4-3600Mhz anyone ;)

AM4 motherboards will soon be receiving a new AGESA microcode update

Ryzen/AM4 motherboards will soon be receiving a new AGESA microcode update, with version 1.0.0.6 aiming to improve memory support, especially for highly clocked DIMMs. ..

Complete story and source - https://www.overclock3d.net/news/cp...n_be_receiving_a_new_agesa_microcode_update/1

16. Gigabytes

Gigabytes Guest

GPU:
    RX480 (Vega dreaming)
    That's interesting. I am using a 960 EVO NVMe 256gb, the rotating dots only get 3/4 of a circle and I'm at password screen. No real change from the very first boot that I can see. Speed seems close and temps look ok. I've always wanted the extreme home computer and this puppy is it, price to performance is incredible.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    That's pretty much what happens, once you hit the ceiling you need to increase volts exponentially and there's no guarantee it'll work.

Still, try setting Load-Line Calibration (LLC) to the most aggressive setting. Usually it's the highest value but eg. ASRock mobos use an inverse convention where the lowest number is actually the highest setting.

I need to use the strictest setting to prevent voltage droop with heavy load. With Auto setting the core voltage would drop drastically under load, kind of negating the increased voltage.

Also you could try increasing SOC voltage to 1.1 V manually. SOC controls the voltage of off-core components like memory controller, PCI-E, USB...

18. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    [​IMG]

19. Webhiker

Webhiker Master Guru

GPU:
    ASRock Radeon RX 79
    I'm beginning to doubt I will ever get my 2 x 16 GB Samsung B-die (20 nm) XMP Certified 1600 MHz / 14-14-14-34 / 1.35 V to run @ 3200 MHz.

20. keenan

keenan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980Ti Hydro Copper
    Hi Chispy,

I modded an EK Supremacy AM4 mount to fit on my old Phobya UC-2 LT block so that I can at least get it under water.

I'll try AMD Overclocking Utility now to see how far I get...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.