The AMD Ryzen All In One Tread /Overclocking/Memory Speeds & Timings/Tweaking/Cooling

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by chispy, Feb 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tui84

tui84 New Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX980 G1
    Hi Guys,
    I'm thinking of upgrading my 6 years old :pc1: rig to the new Ryzen :)

Here's what I'm thinking...
    1. Ryzen 1700x - Hoping @4.0ghz for 24/7 usage
    2. Asus Crosshair VI Hero
    3. G.SKILL Trident Z 3600Mhz CL15 (F4-3600C15D-16GTZ)
    I think this should be the Samsung B-DIE?
    Hoping to get 3200mhz/CL14 out of this, maybe 3600Mhz if supported in future..I don't think I could the Flare X here.
    4. Corsair H110i - just to keep it cool.

My PC was always for the long term use and I'm a very newbie on OC, my i7-950 was running at stock for all this time.
    Running R7-1700x@4.00Ghz 24/7 would it shorten the lifespan? would it lasts 5+ years?

What do you guys think?

2. sverek

sverek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Keeping CPU cool without overheating should drastically improve it's lifespan. Keeping voltages within reasonable limits also should prolong life.

Going for 1700x, I'd say don't OC it. Usually people buy 1700 for OC to match 1700x performance.
    So for 1700x just run it at stock, unless you really need that additional 1-2% performance.
    If you really plan to run it 24/7 under load, I would rather suggest to drop clocks and voltage. It will further improve CPU lifespan and make difference in electricity bill for a small performance cap that you might not actually need.

EDIT: Also Ryzen is a new arch, so nobody can tell you how long would it last.

Last edited: May 1, 2017
  3. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4090
    Well i'm back after a well deserved time off the internet :) ( My family needed some vacations ). May is here and very soon the new AMD agesa code will be released with a lot of new improvements and tweaks for the new upcoming bios for all motherboards hence why i have not updated the main front page with information. Once the new Agesa Bios are release then i will write a whole bunch of tweaks and a full in detailed overclocking guide from the new incoming Bios in the front page.

Since i'm almost done testing the Ryzen Platform i do not have use for my back up testing rig anymore because i have 2 Asus Crosshair VI hero motherboards and one Ryzen 1700 and one Ryzen 1700x. I kept one of the Asus CH 6 Hero motherboards and my Ryzen 7 1700x for my daily rig , the other one is for sale at a great price , combo of one Asus Crosshair VI Hero + Ryzen R7 1700 8c16t for $499.99US dollars ( USA Only ) , get it while it last http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=414250

Last edited: May 2, 2017
  4. Radical_53

Radical_53 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    Today, I found out that I may not even need that update for my current setup.

For the first time, I was able to boot up 3200MHz RAM speed. 2 x 16GB, DR, without "weird" voltages. I was quite pleased with this, even though the first try wasn't completely fast or stable.
    What really helped was one of *chew's comments on XS -> baby steps. Change one setting at a time.

5. Gigabytes

Gigabytes Active Member

GPU:
    RX480 (Vega dreaming)
    I have a bizarre issue and am wondering if anyone else is experiencing it.

Suddenly my system will no longer sleep. Sleeping has never been a issue since built, but suddenly no more sleep after 30 mins of doing nothing. I just can't remember if I had this issue the day before I installed the new chipset 17.10. I know the chipset included the Ryzen power profile and am wondering if it corrupted the currently installed Ryzen profile that I download a few weeks ago.

Anyone have this issue?

Other then this glitch all is well with my 1700X on Asus Prime X370 (0515)

3.9ghz constant OC with Memory stable at 3200 16-16-16-16-34 with 1.40v DRAM, 1.10v SOC, Core 1.375v

Highest fully stable OC @3200 is 4.02 with a core of 1.4875v

I can get boots into windows with much higher clocks, up to 4.15ghz@3200 but the voltage on the core needs to be substantial. Since I am not overly interested in potentially frying my cpu at this point in time I am refraining on that until maybe a refreshed cpu a year+ down the road. At 4.15 windows pretty much works normally but I will get weird things happen like a webpage return an error or a flash error, minor bench marks may run but typically anything that is considered serious work will black screen fairly quick at 4.15, of course its more stable at 4.1 but far from perfect.

6. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4090
    Up for sale is a barely used , in brand new condition ASRock Fatal1ty AB350 Gaming K4 + ADATA XPG Z1 16GB , 2x8GB DDR4-2800 memory combo. This was one of my testing rigs for Ryzen launch. Price $179US Dollars - http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=414260

7. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Try this
    http://www.rawinfopages.com/tips/20...sleep-problems-in-windows-10-after-upgrading/

If still no go;
    to see whats preventing the sleep, in the elevated command prompt type
    Code:
    powercfg -requests
    and then try with
    Code:
    powercfg -requestsoverride $$$$
    $$$ depending on whether its process, driver or service you're trying to override

example:
    Code:
    ppowercfg -REQUESTSOVERRIDE DRIVER "Realtek High Definition Audio(SST)" SYSTEM
    https://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/32947-power-availability-requests-manage-windows.html
    https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/wi...ice-experiences/powercfg-command-line-options

8. LocoDiceGR

LocoDiceGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3060 Ti
    My friend with a new build Ryzen 1600 + B350 Tomahawk + Gigabyte RX 570 has a problem... ''MSI Command Center = Command center is using the generic VGA driver. Please install VGA driver provided by the hardware manufacture''

17.4.4 Are installed...also 17.10 for ryzen is installed...

Latest w10 x64 build. any help?

9. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    The words they are using is ambiguous. Is the Command Center using the MS provided generic VGA card driver or using the AMD provided driver and asking for a driver specifically rebranded and provided by Gigabyte? Either that or Command Center is not functioning properly.

10. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    Finally dawned on me, made an awful assumption. After updating the bios to 0604, just assumed that the oc settings were still stable. After putting in different ram began to notice strange occurrences every so often. Stuck the original ram back in and the issues persisted. Turns out the oc was no longer stable. Back to walking the cpu up. 3.95 was needing more voltage than was willing to set. Working at 3.925 and just failed after 12 hours @ 1.3750v. 3.95 was stable @ 1.4125v with 0515. RAM am also needing to set ProcODT to 53.6 Ohms or P95 will consistently error out at 1.5 hours. Going to try upping the RAM voltage to 1.355 and see what goes. Will go to 1.36 before upping the cpu voltage. Hopefully will get it stable again before the weekend. If not, will just go back to 0515 and call it good till May's bios is released. So much for 0604 being hands down the best bios release for me.

Last edited: May 2, 2017

11. Gigabytes

Gigabytes Active Member

GPU:
    RX480 (Vega dreaming)
    The one thing I noticed is once you start going over 3.9 the voltages required to get it stable increase exponentially the higher you go, it gets a bit scary.

12. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    Agree with you even as far as rolling back to 0515. Weird, raised the voltage on the ram...no dice, raised the voltage on the cpu went south after only 1.5 hours. So rolled back to 0515 and seeing if am able to lower the cpu voltage a tad. Currently running with an offset of +.0500v. See how much longer it goes...only been 53 minutes. However 0604 was rewritten, it ended up not even being able to get 3.925 stable below 1.39v. 0515 at least has the 20C offset accounted for.

Hopefully when the new bios release is available it will allow flashing back to 0515 if it is awful.

13. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX6800XT G.XT.
    Yup, seems to be the case, as chispy noted in his guide too.

I could do 3.8 GHz with 1.3 V but need 1.425 V for 4 GHz (even slightly lower voltage is a bit so-so. Could be stable in everyday use but benchmarking will crash).

Chances are 3.9 GHz could be done with something like 1.35 V which would be a sweet spot perf / volt wise but am reluctant to drop clocks xD

14. Radical_53

Radical_53 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    4.0 sounds better, of course, but I don't like the mich higher voltage needed either.
    Clocking Ryzen is a bit weird in that regard.
    On one hand, you'll need some good cooling and a better board to reach higher clocks.
    On the other hand, how much do you leave behind?
    As far as I've seen, even the boxed heatsink and a simple B350 board should be fine for 3.7 or maybe 3.8GHz.
    With better cooling and a more expensive board, you end up at 3.9-4.0. That's somewhere between 2-8%... for a 150-300€ premium.

For now, I'll stick with 3.9 as my CPU needs a rather low voltage for this (somewhere between 1.25-1.275, still in long-term testing), but I wouldn't want to go for 4.0 as the performance difference is negligible.

15. thatguy91

thatguy91 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 480 RS 4 GB
    I 'promised' earlier I'd show the Asrock X370 Gaming K4 CPU voltage offset in bios v2.20. It's probably been in older bioses, however it is in a different part to the normal voltage. Further up the screen from the screenshot, you either have the CPU speed and voltage set as Auto or manually input. Further down, there is an offset from this value. This of course makes little sense, particularly if it doesn't downclock when overclocked. I think it's a work in progress.

[​IMG]

Notice that it states the offset is in volts, not microvolts that the setting is done in! Big difference! The chipset voltage offset there works out to be 0.0625 V from base. I'm not putting 6250 volts through the chipset, I don't think it would like that :nerd:

I was running 32 TRAS, decided 34 because that is more consistent with 2933 DRAM speeds, but now have settled on 33. 32 seemed fine and stable, but I think that might have been pushing it. Before the reboot to change the settings I had the machine on for a couple of days, no issues :).

Last edited: May 3, 2017

16. Radical_53

Radical_53 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    Does the offset help in any way? I'm using a custom pstate at the moment for the CPU and a fixed voltage for SOC.

17. Gigabytes

Gigabytes Active Member

GPU:
    RX480 (Vega dreaming)
    Resolved, I was playing with Cortana and had "hey Cortana" enabled. She was keeping a stream open on my soundblaster Zx. I put her back to deaf, dumb and mute.

18. thatguy91

thatguy91 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 480 RS 4 GB
    I'm running at stock at the moment, although I do believe it helped a little when I did overclock. I'll probably overclock again in the future once the bioses have improved, I don't like using high voltages etc to get a couple of extra hundred MHz, particularly considering my system is 24/7 and I do use it for a crapload of encoding, gaming, HTPC, and other stuff.

19. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    Got my hynix ram running at 2933mhz with 20-20-20-36. Going to test going down from there. But it did boost my fps here and there.

20. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX6800XT G.XT.
    So you do have CPU core downvolting when Vcore is set to offset?

I have that setting, just assumed it was different because the description says it controls input voltage (to the CPU).

EDIT: yeah, so tried 3.9 GHz instead... indeed it was stable at 1.35 V. It was and is stable at 1.300 V as well!

So I think I'll stick to 3.9/1.300 instead of 4.0/1.425.

Shows how you need to start ramping up volts once you reach the threshold for your CPU.

Last edited: May 3, 2017
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.