The AMD Ryzen All In One Tread /Overclocking/Memory Speeds & Timings/Tweaking/Cooling

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by chispy, Feb 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. elijahk33

elijahk33 Member

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 380X
    :p 2D games are indeed playable at 20fps
    but apart from words, his test results are indeed interesting

2. lowrider_05

lowrider_05 Active Member

GPU:
    Zotac 1080tI AMP Ex
    I got a NH-D15 for my build but for watercooling i dont´t know.

by the way you won´t get that ram to 3466 mhz on that board only to 3200 mhz thats the max OC the Asus x370 Prime does support.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2017
  3. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Duke GTX1080Ti
    ddelamare, i´m eyeing that board in case i go with Ryzen, do you mind sharing your experience with it, pretty please?

As for e-Teknix findings, i have a hard time believing in them when every hardware site has reached the same conclusion regarding Ryzen´s gaming performance...
    So unless everyone is wrong, including Hilbert, i won´t give this too much value... Unless more people start to reach the same conclusion.

4. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    About that.

If Ryzen has over 6% slower IPC than 7700k, and if Ryzen clocks nowhere near the 7700k, how one earth can Ryzen be 30% faster in games? Plus, it goes against everything everyone else says.

Clickbait.

5. Radical_53

Radical_53 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    Number of cores? I'll be happy once i can do my own testing.

6. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080Ti VISION OC
    Yup i know that :)

What we need ASAP?

1. BIOS upd. + microcode updates from AMD
    2. WinX patch (YES next week, Tuesday = some ZEN problems will be gone)

3. :thumbup: :kind: :007:

UPD.
    4. I hope so :blunt:

7. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    I'm sorry, but if the entirety of the internet reviews report the 7700k way ahead of Ryzen in most games, I fail to see how one site reports 30% increase in performance for Ryzen (in places) over 7700k. Just doesn't add up.

8. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080Ti VISION OC
    Anandtech's list of caveats:

# Windows 10 RTC disliking 0.25x multipliers, causing timing issues,
    # Software not reading L3 properly (thinking each core has 8MB of L3, rather than 2MB/core),
    # Latency within a CCX being regular, but across CCX boundaries having limited bandwidth,
    # Static partitioning methods being used shows performance gains when SMT is disabled,
    # Ryzen showing performance gains with faster memory, more so than expected,
    # Gaming Performance, particularly towards 240 Hz gaming, is being questioned,
    # Microsoft’s scheduler not understanding the different CCX core-to-core latencies,
    # Windows not scheduling threads within a CCX before moving onto the next CCX,
    # Some motherboards having difficulty with DRAM compatibility,
    # Performance related EFIs being highly regularly near weekly since two weeks before launch.
    # The Windows scheduler treats all 16 threads as equal (as physical cores) whereas the physical and virtual threads have very different performance.

===
    Some interesting read:

-> https://thetechaltar.com/amd-ryzen-clock-domains-detailed/

" Why is it built this way?

Well, the answer is quite simple. AMD as a company making semi-custom SoC’s, would like to have modularity in their designs. Instead of building a large monolithic 8 core complex that would be relatively hard to scale, they’ve created a quad core building block, from which they can scale core counts as as they see fit. This reduces design costs and time to market for their customers.

There is a trade off, as detailed above. However, as seen in the impressive performance of Ryzen, it’s not too hampering. As soon as the Windows scheduler gets updated to minimize movement of data between CCX’s, and developers release patches in the few games where that will not be enough to solve issues, the gaming performance should be similar to the performance of a 6900K, just like with professional workloads."
    ----------

9. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080Ti VISION OC
  10. elijahk33

elijahk33 Member

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 380X
    top freq for 1700 on a B350
    very cool!

11. ddelamare

ddelamare Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D GTX 1070 X4
    Yeah i might need to do that also, i'll see if i can pick one up on the way home.

You are entirely correct about the Ram, that's intentional. I looked for some 3200 versions but they were all sold out at the point of purchase so i thought to overshoot slightly. I can fiddle with lower timings once i get the system up and running.

12. ddelamare

ddelamare Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D GTX 1070 X4
    I certainly can H83, i still need a few things to put it all together, mainly a cooler, but i'll get some time over the weekend, update the bois and get it up and running and i'll let you know if i encounter any issues :grad:

13. ddelamare

ddelamare Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D GTX 1070 X4
    Thats exactly it... if a game only supports up to 4 cores/threads then it will be faster than ryzen. Once we get past that, the ryzen chips will destroy those as well. :banana:

14. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800XT GamingX
    Sounds good! ASRock seems to have gained ground on the mobo market.

The Ryzen mobos look so fancy in comparison to my current one (even the more affordable x370 ones) that I'd like to upgrade for that alone, lols.

Still, waiting to see reports how Windows patching / BIOS / microcode updates tweak the gaming performance as well as R5 release.
    By then we should see the reality of Ryzen performance in current games.

Btw regarding that, one Hilbert's chart showed even an FX series CPU outperform the R7 in 1080p gaming (can't recall which game and am too lazy to check).
    That I think is an indication it's clearly an optimization issue with the new gen arch. of Ryzen.

The synthetic numbers are impressive but ofc in the worst case that could be due to Ryzen being able to optimize for benchmarking but then lose it's edge on "real" world apps.

Actually I though that maybe the branch-prediction works a lot better with benchmarks which run consistent, repeatable workloads ie the predictor can choose the optimal path thru CPU more effectively.

With varying workloads ie gaming this may be more difficult (=require support / optimization from developer for Ryzen).

15. wtbarms

wtbarms Member Guru

GPU:
    3080 fe
    Just fyi, there is a workaround to prevent the crosshair 6 boards from bricking until Asus gets a fixed bios out next week.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1624603/rog-crosshair-vi-overclocking-thread/780#post_25910423

16. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080Ti VISION OC
    Introducing Walter, the latest synthetic by Weyland-Yutani. Created to serve. Intelligence powered by AMD, Ryzen and Radeon.
    Discover yours at: http://www.meetwalter.com

Walter is the world’s most advanced synthetic companion, designed to help you achieve a better human experience. Each model is individually calibrated to serve its owner’s unique set of needs and preferences.

Conceived by Ridley Scott and 3AM, directed by Luke Scott, and produced by RSA Films.

Ridley Scott returns to the universe he created, with ALIEN: COVENANT, a new chapter in his groundbreaking ALIEN franchise. The crew of the colony ship Covenant, bound for a remote planet on the far side of the galaxy, discovers what they think is an uncharted paradise, but is actually a dark, dangerous world. When they uncover a threat beyond their imagination, they must attempt a harrowing escape.

In Theaters - May 19, 2017

Cast: Michael Fassbender, Katherine Waterston, Billy Crudup, Danny McBride, Demián Bichir, Carmen Ejogo, Amy Seimetz, Jussie Smollett, Callie Hernandez, Nathaniel Dean, Alexander England, Benjamin Rigby

Directed by: Ridley Scott

17. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    ^
    So what is this, gfx tech demo?

18. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080Ti VISION OC
    New ALIEN hype with AMD/ATI :)

19. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    Yes but is that CGI rendered on ryzen + vega or what?

20. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080Ti VISION OC
    Hmm, i don't know :3eyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.