The AMD Ryzen All In One Tread /Overclocking/Memory Speeds & Timings/Tweaking/Cooling

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by chispy, Feb 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega 64 XTX LiQuiD
    Ryzen 7 1700 4.1GHz on Air with Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370 Gaming 5

Published on Mar 6, 2017

Here's a tutorial on how to overlock your AMD Ryzen 7 1700 cpu to 4.1GHz on all eight cores with SMT enabled. Let me know if you found this guide useful.

System Specs:
    Case: Anidees AI Crystal Cube
    Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370 Gaming 5
    CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700
    Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 SE AM4
    RAM: HyperX Fury 2x8GB 2133MHz CL14
    GPU: Asus Strix GTX970 3.5Gb+0.5Gb ;)
    SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 256Gb
    PSU: Silverstone SX500-LG
    Fans: Anidees AI Halo

How to overclock AMD Ryzen 7 1700 to 4.1GHz
    =============================
    An In-Depth Look at Ryzen's Gaming Performance: 16 Games Played at 1080p & 1440p

Here-> http://www.techspot.com/review/1348-amd-ryzen-gaming-performance/

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 9, 2017
  2. lowrider_05

lowrider_05 Active Member

GPU:
    Zotac 1080tI AMP Ex
    I have the same CPU/MB/Cooler as the guy in the video and mine is 4 GHz stable @ 1,375V with 15 minutes AIDA64 Stresstest but 4.1 isn,t stable not even with 1,55V so I think the 1700 can not reach 4.1 without MASSIVE Vcore

3. Kohlendioxidus

Kohlendioxidus Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56 Pu
    I got your mobo and reached stable 2933 without any issues or voltage increase. What new features you'r talking about? I have also to confirm the long POST time too but I thought is a Ryzen typical which is definitly not!

4. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega 64 XTX LiQuiD

5. __hollywood|meo

__hollywood|meo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 @1.55ghz
    chispy i mean to mention earlier - sorry for your loss :p

btw pro carbon shipped today woooooooooo

6. Turanis

Turanis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX500
  7. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX GTX 1080
    Wow, states that HPET should be enabled to use the software. Was not there a statement that Ryzen benefits from HPET being off? Who is correct?

...still waiting on board. Cooler, cpu, psu, new case here. Board appear...poof, did not work.:bang:

8. w0nderz

w0nderz Member Guru

GPU:
    GB R9 390X G1
    My mobo locks up while trying to boot anytime I try to run the memory above 2600mhz @ XMP on, i'll try turning it off to see if it makes any difference.

About the latest beta bios, I can now turn SMT on/off, I also have access/control to advanced memory timmings and some other stuff that I cant remember atm, nothing much tho.

I disabled the PCI ports and removed a HDD that I wasn't using and it seems to POST a bit faster, takes like 10secs before it posts now, also windows boot time is much faster (I think the HDD I removed was dragging it down).

9. vase

vase Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    HPET is needed for the Ryzen Master OC tool to work.

Doesn't mean you can't just OC via BIOS.

On the other hand disabling HPET may have positive impact on performance depending on workload (independently from if you OC or not)

So these are two fully compatible statements.

10. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega 64 XTX LiQuiD
    OK :banana: MOBO will be in my office at MonDay !

-> ASUS C.Hero VI for me :flip2:

11. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti - RX 590

Welcome to the club ! , Post pictures of your built and share your overclocking information and findings please. Enjoy it :)

No worries :) , thank you , i got my new RMA Asus CH6 Hero on the way already via UPS and should be on my hands tuesday. Pro carbon seems like a nice overall around board , post pictures of your Ryzen rig and overclocking results.

OnnA i'm very happy for you. I know you are going to love the board , very stable VRM wish leads to overclock like crazy both on cpu and memory. ( psss .... i will tell you a little secret ;) , i overclocked my Ryzen R7 1700x to 4.2Ghz and memory to DDR4-3600Mhz and played for more than one hour Forza Horizon 3 at 4K 60fps solid , stable , butter smooth , do not tell anyone please :giggle2: )

12. nesty

nesty New Member

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 470 Nitro+ 4G
    what is your default voltage for cpu nb ? i wonder if mb does set same default voltage for every ryzen chip. it is 0.88V here
    i have same mobo, rams, but i am unable to boot past 2133 no matter how i stretch timings

13. elijahk33

elijahk33 Member

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 380X
  14. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti - RX 590
  15. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti - RX 590
    *** Updates for today March 9 ,2017. ***

Updated all the ASRock Motherboards Bios. ASRock is on fire releasing Bios every day for the few of days now :) , if you have or plan to buy an ASRock motherboard checked them out , lots of improvements.

Here is a recap of the last 3 days updated bios for their motherboards:

3/7/2017 - 1.Add Instant flash function. 2.Add "CPU Frequency Multiplier Change" item.

3/8/2017 - Add Enable RGB LED option.

3/9/2017 - 1.Improve XMP DRAM compatibility. 2.Add Simultaneous Multi-Threading(SMT) item in BIOS setup.

Expect other Motherboard vendors to follow with some more optimizations on Bios updates , keep an eye on this !

16. w0nderz

w0nderz Member Guru

GPU:
    GB R9 390X G1
    Are you guys able to monitor your CPU temps with Afterbuner? Thought it'd be some BIOS issue at first (been reading that the sensors are somewhat bugged still), I've been testing through all bios releases till the latest and its still not showing.

17. ddelamare

ddelamare Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D GTX 1070 X4
    So here she is so far...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now onto my next problem, which seems to be finding a cooler and or bracket for my H80i V2... Seems to be difficult to get a decent cooler or bracket in Europe. Anyone else with the same problem??

18. Kohlendioxidus

Kohlendioxidus Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56 Pu
    I got from MSI a 1.15 (7A34 115.zip) bios version for my MSI B350 Tomahawk. I'll test it when I get home, hopefully I'll not brick the mobo with this one...:wanker:!

19. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega 64 XTX LiQuiD
    Final Thoughts by e-Teknix:

When we started this testing, we had no idea what the final results would be. Our best guesses were that Ryzen was going to sit between the 7700K and 5820K in most tests or suffer worse performance at resolutions above 1080P due to the DDR4 memory latency issues we saw when testing the CPU and motherboard last week. Of course, in real-world testing like this, it didn’t seem to make much of a difference, at least regarding what you would notice as a consumer. In almost all tests (things didn’t go perfectly in Far Cry Primal) the Ryzen 1800X gave the best frame rates at all resolutions, and even more so when pushed to 1440P and 2160P, where the 8-core 16-thread design of the CPU was able to relieve the GTX 1080 Ti of any bottlenecks in performance.

The most exciting thing we saw so far wasn’t the average frame rates, but the minimum. People are often quick to leap to the maximum frame rate, and I’ll give you a bit of a tip, high frame rates are great, but they’re not all that. You can run some games as low as 20FPS and it’ll play great, just look at classics like Zelda 64 and Goldeneye, they ran at 20FPS and they felt pretty smooth. The trick is they didn’t drop frames. If you’re gaming at 100+ FPS and your frame rate drops below 60FPS for a moment, you’re going to notice; the same is true from 60-40, and so on. The Ryzen 1800X helped maintain the highest minimum frame rates we’ve ever seen, and that means a more consistent, smoother and overall better gameplay experience. When it comes down to it, this higher minimum number is what you want from a gaming chip, not just the bigger average or maximum number.

Our testing may seem strange to some, particularly our choice of CPUs to pit against Ryzen. I chose the 7700K as it’s currently a very popular choice for those building a high-end gaming PC, and it’s an excellent choice too, it’s a powerful chip, features the latest Kaby Lake architecture and works very well. With Ryzen launching, the price of the Intel chip is now £320-340, although it’s not a huge leap up from Skylake, it’s still great for gaming.

The Ryzen 1800X is more expensive at just under £500, but when you see 20-50% improvements in minimum frame rate, and gains regarding average frame rate, that certainly makes sense. As I’m writing this, the Ryzen 1700 is arriving at e-teknix HQ, and the 1700X is on its way, and we’re expecting the 1700X to be more in line with the 7700K performance and price, so that’s food for thought. Of course, this certainly won’t be the last time we test out the gaming capabilities of the new AMD or Intel CPUs for that matter.

The BIOS and drivers in general for Ryzen are still pretty fresh, there’s most certainly room for improvement there, and memory performance bugs are hopefully going to be worked out soon. On top of that, AMD is working with 1000’s of developers to improve overall market support of multi-core processors, and that’s sure to bring benefits to all PC gamers, not just AMD users. Either way, it looks like the Ryzen 1800X is offering some serious performance for high-end PC gaming, and we’re eager to see both Intel and AMD battle it out over the next couple of years. There are more Intel and AMD chips on the horizon, and the current ones are already pretty exciting, so we’re eager to see more battles regarding performance and retail prices, as that’s going to be a big win win for consumers.

20. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    I stopped reading when he said 20fps is pretty smooth. I've chosen to ignore the rest of his blabber based on the lack of his knowledge.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.