1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The AMD Ryzen All In One Tread /Overclocking/Memory Speeds & Timings/Tweaking/Cooling Part 2

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by vbetts, Sep 24, 2018.

1. Webhiker

Webhiker Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080i SC2
    200$ for a CPU with 8/16 cores (Ryzen 5 3600) which will be faster than the current Ryzen 2700X ... this is simply crazy by all accounts.
    The 3700X looks like a sweat deal.

OnnA likes this.
  2. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070ti 2114/4375
    16 core with 5.1 boost? I'll believe it when I see it :D

3. Webhiker

Webhiker Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080i SC2
    What's not to believe about that. The 2700X can boost to 4.3 ~ 4.35.
    So why couldn't a 7nm Ryzen boost to 5.1 ?

4. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070ti 2114/4375
    I can't tell you why, I'm not an engineer. I can however tell you 7nm isn't magic. I just don't see how they can double the core count and add 20% clock speed on top of that.
    Feel free to make fun of me if I'm wrong but I generally don't believe in leaks that are too good to be true.

mohiuddin likes this.

5. Webhiker

Webhiker Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080i SC2
    It doesn't matter if it's 8, 12 or 16 cores since it's not all them that boosts to 5 GHz.

6. SplashDown

SplashDown Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980ti Classy
    Maybe different arch has to do with clocks they are doing the chiplet right? seperate I/O ect. Hopefully latency isn't bad.

7. Webhiker

Webhiker Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080i SC2
    The chiplet design was done, in part, to also improve inter-core latency.

8. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega 64 XTX LiQuiD
    [​IMG]

AMD has made significant changes to their CPU architecture which help deliver twice the throughput of their first generation Zen architecture.
    The major points include an entirely redesigned execution pipeline, major floating point advances with doubled the floating point to 256-bit and double bandwidth for load/store units.
    One of the key upgrades for Zen 2 is the doubling of the core density which means we are now looking at 2x the core count for each core complex (CCX).

[​IMG]

• Improved Execution Pipeline
    • Doubled Floating Point (256-bit) and Load/Store (Doubled Bandwidth)
    • Doubled Core Density
    • Half the Energy Per Operation
    • Improved Branch Prediction
    • Better Instruction Pre-Fetching
    • Re-Optimized Instruction Cache
    • Larger Op Cache
    • Increased Dispatch / Retire Bandwidth
    • Maintaining High Throughput for All Modes
    Zen 2 also includes stronger hardware level enhancements when it comes to security.

RzrTrek, Jagman, Amaze and 3 others like this.
  9. Horus-Anhur

Horus-Anhur Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    AGESA 0700 is out for several Motherboards with B350, X370, X470 and B450.

For mine it's already available.
    Asus ROG STRIX X370-F GAMING BIOS 4406

Update AGESA 0070 for the upcoming processors and improve some CPU compatibility.
    ASUS strongly recommends that you update AMD chipset driver 18.50.16 or later before updating BIOS.

OnnA and Amaze like this.
  10. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070ti 2114/4375
    Thanks. But what's up with Asus having newer chipser drivers than amd.com?

11. Horus-Anhur

Horus-Anhur Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    I really don't know, but I installed these drivers, then updated the BIOS and all seems to be working well.
    Still haven't made any serious testing though...

12. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Maha Guru

GPU:
    C6H also got updated! D: https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/ROG-CROSSHAIR-VI-HERO/HelpDesk_Download/
    As for chipset driver, I am still last official AMD driver, no issues.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2019
    OnnA likes this.
  13. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega 64 XTX LiQuiD
    AMD Ryzen 3000 CPUs Get Early BIOS Support in X370 & X470 Motherboards, Next-Gen Zen 2 Based Family Internally Codenamed as Valhalla

It looks like motherboard manufacturers have started adding early support on their X370 and X470 series products for the upcoming AMD Ryzen 3000 series processors.
    The Zen 2 based AMD Ryzen 3000 series processors are scheduled to launch in mid of 2019 and would be bringing faster clocks, higher core count and improved efficiency while utilizing the brand new 7nm process technology.There are a few manufacturers who have started adding support for the upcoming processors in their existing products.

This is part of the commitment which AMD made that all Ryzen series will be compatible with existing AM4 motherboards to offer longevity for the mainstream platforms.
    Currently, ASUS, MSI, and Biostar have released the new AGESA 0070 and AGESA 0072 updates for their respective motherboards. Not all motherboards are currently receiving the BIOS updates but would do so shortly.
    Both ASUS and MSI clearly list that the BIOS supports “New Upcoming AMD CPU” and because we know that there are no more Zen+ processors on the horizon for the X470 or X370 platform, the only processors that make sense to add support for is the AMD Ryzen 3000 series.

We have heard reports from sources that the first batch of engineering samples was delivered to board partners sometime during the previous month and a newer batch is arriving this month so readying a
    BIOS early on makes sense since Ryzen 3000 series processors aren’t that different than their older brethren from a compatibility perspective.

So it’s good news that motherboard manufacturers have a BIOS support this early which means that Ryzen 3000 would have pretty solid compatibility on older X370 and X470 motherboards at launch.
    There would also be the X570 motherboards with an improved feature set for the Ryzen 3000 series CPUs but those who don’t want to get in the hassle of upgrading their motherboards can just swap their older CPUs with the new ones and call it a day.

Also, the creator of the Ryzen DRAM calculator has listed down some new features that might be coming in the Ryzen 3000 processors with one confirming that the Ryzen 3000 series processors would indeed ship with CCD (Compute Core Design, a new name for CCX), support a maximum of 32 threads which confirms 16 core parts, following is the full list of features which were found:

1) New memory controller with partial error correction for nonECC memory
    2) Desktop processor with two (2 CCD) chiplets on board, 32 threads maximum
    3) New MBIST (Memory built-in self-test)
    4) Core watchdog – is a fail/safe function used to reset a system in case the microprocessor gets lost due to address or data errors
    5) XFR – at the moment I do not see anything special about it, the algorithm and limits have been updated. Scalar Controll come back with new processors.
    6) Updated core control has a symmetric configuration of the active cores . In 2CCD configurations, each chiplet has its own RAM channel in order to minimize latency to memory access. 1 channel on 8 cores will be a bottleneck if you use the system in the default state.

via Overclock.net

SplashDown and chispy like this.
  14. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti - RX 580
    Our friends at Techpowerup have posted as i believe one of the most important articles written in years for Ryzen cpu users , hence is a must read to understand the facts about incremental performance on this am4 platform when dialing the DDR4 Ram on your system. It was written by nonetheless the genius who made the Ryzen dram calculator @1usmus and back by W1zzard at TPU.

The article is easy to read and understand and it tells you exactly how to squeeze the absolutely max performance of your Ryzen set up based on the correlation of infinity fabric and Ram tweaking/overclocking. I have done my own testing also and i can confirm these findings and back them up 100%. Ryzen users tweak away your systems for free performance to the max , pedal to the metal ! Thank you to 1usmus and W1zzard for such great article , indeed very welcome and really needed for the enthusiast community.

Source: Techpowerup : https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/Ryzen_Memory_Tweaking_Overclocking_Guide/

Last edited: Mar 20, 2019
    SplashDown likes this.
  15. SplashDown

SplashDown Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980ti Classy
    Thanks very much Chispy ... I needed this I've just been using XMP because I didn't understand enough to do manually. I'm not gonna fry my stuff because I don't undrstand what I'm doing if you get me? And I didn't trust calculator because I still didn't understand or know what I was doing I'm funny like that. They have it all there, videos ect. Cool write up. Peace ..

chispy likes this.

16. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti - RX 580
    Great to hear that my friend , glad 1usmuss made that awesome guide :) , enjoy it the free bump in performance !

Kind Regards: Chispy

17. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    @chispy
    Thanks for the link. That guy is a smart one , I am not sure I want to run my games @1270 x 720 like they tested J/K .

For me I have tested Ryzen memory a bunch and when it comes to gaming , it is still about Fast CPU and Fast GPU.
    Resolutions above 2560 x 1440 and memory clocked above 2667Mhz thru to 3600Mhz with good timings has little effect on gaming as of todays Computer parts.
    I have not tested memory on any software but it may be a substantial increase in software.

I only looked at the gaming section and conclusion, now time for me to read the rest of the article and learn something useful.

chispy likes this.
  18. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega 64 XTX LiQuiD
  19. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti - RX 580
    Upcoming X570 ASUS motherboards for AMD Ryzen 3000 series:

• ROG CROSSHAIR VIII FORMULA
    • ROG CROSSHAIR VIII HERO
    • ROG CROSSHAIR VIII HERO (WI-FI)
    • ROG CROSSHAIR VIII IMPACT
    • ROG STRIX X570-E GAMING
    • ROG STRIX X570-F GAMING
    • ROG STRIX X570-I GAMING
    • PRIME X570-P
    • PRIME X570-PRO
    • Pro WS X570-ACE
    • TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI)
    • TUF GAMING X570-PLUS
    [​IMG]

Upcoming X570 ASRock motherboards for AMD Ryzen 3000 series:

[​IMG]

Source: https://videocardz.com/newz/upcoming-asus-x570-motherboards

It has begun :D , it seems Ryzen 3000 is coming sooner than expected as all motherboards manufacturers are releasing their newest update to the AM4 motherboard line up. Just remember that older x370 / b350 / x470 / b450 motherboards will support Ryzen 3000 with a Bios update , please update your mobo to the latest bios. Really excited to see the new Ryzen 3000 incoming cpus , the word i heard from the samples sent to my fellow LN2 extreme overclockers , that a little birdie told me: Yes 5Ghz ... :D

Last edited: Mar 22, 2019
  20. insp1re2600

insp1re2600 Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI OC
    my m7 ac board has had two updates in the past week or so for the latest cpu's.

chispy likes this.