The AMD Ryzen All In One Tread /Overclocking/Memory Speeds & Timings/Tweaking/Cooling Part 2

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by vbetts, Sep 24, 2018.

1. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega 64 XTX LiQuiD
  2. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega 64 XTX LiQuiD
  3. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX GTX 1080
    The way this offering is worded makes me hesitant about even considering such an "upgrade" path. Cannot completely remember, think it was when Phenom II was released. The processor for all intents and purposes worked on the old socket, AM2+ I believe, but one needed an AM3 board for the new functions to work. Had something to do with the power planes if remembering correctly. Just because it works, does not mean it is functioning as intended. If the changes to the UEFI are to the extent AMD is implying, I am taking their word for it till shown otherwise because of how the last time this kind of situation panned out.

4. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070ti 2126/4350
    I would definitely wait and see how those beta bios' work out before taking the plunge. You will not be able to flash back if it goes wrong and you'll basically be doing it at your own risk as far as I understood it.

5. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega 64 XTX LiQuiD
    On Asus You can Flash back by USB Flash :cool: (Always is good to have working BIOS on Flash drive).
    It can even un-brick Mobo.

6. Webhiker

Webhiker Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC2
    Even the board you linked to in "The worst X570" has a bios flashback port on the back along with a flash bios button like on Asus boards.

7. Webhiker

Webhiker Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC2
    I didn't experience what you describe, since I went from a Phenom II X6 to an i7. But seeing as this is on the same socket I'm hoping we won't run into any serious issues.
    AMD did say that PCIe 4.0 would remain disabled on 4xx boards. But they didn't say anything else since I expect they don't want to give to much information
    away regarding Zen 3.

8. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega 64 XTX LiQuiD
  9. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070ti 2126/4350
  10. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega 64 XTX LiQuiD
    AMD Ryzen 3000 'Matisse Refresh' Desktop CPUs Confirmed - Launching in July, Faster Clocks & Price Drops For Existing CPUs

A few hours ago, a rumor emerged that AMD was working on new Ryzen 3000 Desktop CPUs but we can confirm that there are at least three chips in the works.
    The Matisse Refresh lineup will be featuring the following CPUs:

• AMD Ryzen 9 3900XT (Ryzen 9 3900X Replacement)
    • AMD Ryzen 7 3800XT (Ryzen 7 3800X Replacement)
    • AMD Ryzen 5 3600XT (Ryzen 5 3600X Replacement)
    Starting off with what to expect from the Matisse Refresh family, the core configuration is going to remain the same.
    The Ryzen 9 3900XT will feature 12 cores and 24 threads, the Ryzen 7 3800XT will feature 8 cores and 16 threads while the Ryzen 5 3600XT will feature 6 cores and 12 threads.
    What is interesting is that all three CPUs will feature higher clock speeds & enhanced overclock support.
    Our sources also suggest that the boost algorithms for the new CPUs are more tightly tuned which should result in 5-10% performance improvement over existing parts.

SpajdrEX, Turanis and jbscotchman like this.

11. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    Zen 2+

Interesting.

12. Webhiker

Webhiker Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC2
    This could turn out to be a really bad idea. Why? If the 15-17% IPC uplift for Zen 3 is true then what happens when AMD release the XT variants of the current CPU lineup?
    Will the Zen 3 performance gain be reduced to 5-10% then ?

13. Kool64

Kool64 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX2070S
    I don’t think there’s a process change. They’ll just clock a bit higher than the original ones.

14. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    Need moar 5GHz performance....

15. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega 64 XTX LiQuiD
    4.6 4.7 4.8GHz?
    1C Boost.... maby it can be done.

UPD. I was right ;)

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 26, 2020
    Turanis likes this.

16. Turanis

Turanis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX500
    Linus Torvalds Announcement:

The biggest excitement this week for me was just that I upgraded my main machine, and for the first time in about 15 years, my desktop isn't Intel-based.
    No, I didn't switch to ARM yet, but I'm now rocking an AMD Threadripper 3970x.

My 'allmodconfig' test builds are now three times faster than they used to be, which doesn't matter so much right now during the calming down period,
    but I will most definitely notice the upgrade during the next merge window.
    http://lkml.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/2005.3/00406.html

Goood move!

OnnA and Webhiker like this.
  17. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega 64 XTX LiQuiD
  18. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX GTX 1080
    Why does AMD still advertise or even state a base speed? What is the definition of base when the cpu never functions at the stated base speed; at least in my case. 3800X supposedly has a base speed of 3.9GHz. Have yet to see an instance where the cpu did not steadily function below the stated base. Base speed for my cpu has proven to be 3.775 or 3.8GHz. Everyone appears to focus on the upper limit of the cpu. Have yet to read anything about the base speed being off, and still off. My opinion is that if they cannot nail down the proper base speed, how can they even hope to nail down the top boost speed?

Last edited: May 26, 2020
  19. Webhiker

Webhiker Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC2
  20. Turanis

Turanis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX500
    ^Looks like nope fakes.