The AMD Ryzen All In One Tread /Overclocking/Memory Speeds & Timings/Tweaking/Cooling Part 2

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by vbetts, Sep 24, 2018.

1. Webhiker

Webhiker Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC2
    Was it really a Ryzen 5, 8 core/16 thread 65 watt CPU with 3.7 GHz base clock boosting to 4.5 GHz, AMD showed at CES competing against the i9900k ?

What do you think ?

jura11, Jagman and chispy like this.
  2. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega XTX LiQuiD
    AMD working with Microsoft on Threadripper 2 scheduler issues

At the beginning of the year HEXUS reported upon the release of the utility called CorePrio. As a brief reminder, CorePrio is a collaboration between LevelOneTechs and BitSum,
    which allows users to toggle various CPU settings in Windows as a temporary fix for issues in the Windows Scheduler in processors with > 2 CPU chiplets per die.

[​IMG]

Yesterday AnandTech shared an update on CorePrio, why it works, and heard confirmation from AMD that it was working with Microsoft on fixing Windows so a utility such as CorePrio isn't necessary.

The Windows issues appear to all be due to the implementation of the scheduler's best NUMA node assignments. NUMA is short for non-uniform memory access and is a method of memory access in a multiprocessing system that allows threads to play nicely in accessing the available memory pool.

AnandTech says that Microsoft has a hotfix in place in Windows for dual-NUMA environments - which harks back to the time when dual-socket workstation platforms started to become popular.
    However for >2 NUMA environments, such as the quad-die Threadripper and EPYC processors that hotfix doesn't help.

AMD is currently working with Microsoft on the Windows Scheduler issues, reveals AnandTech, and has a number of support and update tickets open with the Windows team.
    Announcements will be forthcoming as and when the fix becomes available but we don't have a timeline to follow. Interestingly "other improvements to help optimize performance will also be included" in the fix, notes the source.
    Lastly AMD is keen to stress that it is still very pleased with Threadripper 2 performance and its competitiveness while this collaboration with Microsoft, with the consultation of LevelOneTechs and BitSum, will help it advance even further.

chispy and Webhiker like this.
  3. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070ti 2126/4350
    GN got confirmation that it will be 16. They good sources afaik.

chispy likes this.
  4. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega XTX LiQuiD
    AMD Matisse 12C 24T CPU spotted in UserBenchmark db

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Prolific online database miner Tum Apisak has unearthed another AMD branded gem. Earlier today he shared a link to a benchmark featuring an interesting AMD engineering sample processor. Tum shared this link with no speculation about its origin. However, Paul Alcorn from Tom's Hardware thinks that the chip could very well be a 12C/24T Third-Gen AMD Ryzen 'Matisse' CPU.

In the UserBenchmark database the AMD engineering sample is identified by a serial code as follows: 2D3212BGMCWH2_37/34_N. Apparently the H2 suffix in the main section of the code string signifies a Matisse processor. Beneath, in the same section, it says that the processor features 12 cores and 24 threads, and it uses the MA4 socket. In brief its benchmark result is classified as 'outstanding' and is in the top five percent of results available. It is also worth noting that this same info section gives the base clock as 3.4GHz with average boost clock of 3.6GHz.

Pondering over other system information data provided by UserBenchmark we can see that the Matisse chip was tested on AMD's Myrtle AM4 test platform. TH says that somewhere in the results it says that the 12C 24T Matisse has a 105W TDP, too.

Scrolling down the benchmark page reveals the 'system memory latency ladder' graph which indicates that 32MB of L3 cache features in this CPU design – see the steep latency change between 16 and 32MB.

It is interesting to compare the Engineering sample CPU's single-core floating point score to a current-gen Ryzen 7 2700X. AT roughly the same clocks the new 7nm processor delivers an approx 13 per cent uplift in this metric. The positive change is therefore likely a sign of improved IPC due to Zen 2 architectural tweaks.

Jagman, chispy and Webhiker like this.

5. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega XTX LiQuiD

chispy likes this.
  6. Webhiker

Webhiker Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC2
    I have watched this a few times now and I honestly don't see the point of this.
    It's a demo running a 2 x 28 core (56 core total) system against a 64 core prototype system.
    The 64 core system barely wins the test. While they do state the clock speed of the Intel system
    they do NOT state the clock speed of the Epyc "Rome" system. Which would have made sense.
    The way they have done it makes it impossible to make any meaningful comparison, apart from the fact AMD now have a working single chip 64 core system
    with low power consumption (apparently, judging from the cooler noise from the Intel system)
    I did go to https://www.amd.com/nexthorizon but I couldn't find the spec of the "Rome" protoype system.
    So if the point was to show a single chip 64 core system, they could have done it a lot of different ways.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2019
  7. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega XTX LiQuiD
    ^^ You got the point.
    IMO it is still better (and cheaper, less tW etc.) than 2xXeon config.
    Thus they make Rome point clear to me. Now it's AMD time, let them enjoy it as long as they can :cool:

8. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega XTX LiQuiD

Jagman likes this.
  9. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT+AW@240Hz
    To be exact, intel's platform is 2x 205W and 2x $13,000.

On AMD's side of things you have one "Rome" chip which is fully compatible with Naples platform. And that has highest CPU TDP of 180W. One can consider 250W max TDP as with TR 12nm chips. Considering AMD's platform cost till now, one can expect price in between $10,000~$13,000. Therefore purchase price being 1/2. And cost of ownership being much lower too.
    And that power consumption advantage matters more than anything in server business.

Jagman likes this.
  10. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega XTX LiQuiD
    ASMedia to Continue as Chipset Supplier to AMD, But X570 an In-house Chipset

AMD's socket AM4 and socket TR4 chipsets are originally designed by ASMedia. With its "Zen" family of processors being full-fledged SoCs, the motherboard "chipset" only serves to increase connectivity,
    and ASMedia already holds certifications for key groups such as the PCI-SIG, USB-IF, SATA-IO, NVM-Express group, etc. It's being reported now that ASMedia will develop some, if not all 500-series chipsets, with the exception of X570.
    The X570 will be an in-house design by AMD, which will use its own foundry partners (likely GloFo 14 nm) to manufacture it.
    This presents AMD with an opportunity to harden it against vulnerabilities, and have greater control over pricing, not to mention overcoming key design shortfalls of "Promontory," such as downstream PCIe connectivity.

This flies in the face of speculation that AMD would discontinue ASMedia's supply of chipset, especially in the wake of the "Chimera" vulnerability affecting "Promontory" 300-series and 400-series chipsets.
    The supposedly security-hardened 500-series chipset will feature PCI-Express gen 4.0 certification. What this means is that the chipset bus between the AM4/TR4 SoC and the chipset will be PCI-Express 4.0 x4 (64 Gbps), translating to double the bandwidth.
    It remains to be seen if the downstream PCIe lanes put out by the chipset are gen 4.0, too. Current 400-series chipsets continue to put out stale gen 2.0 lanes, compensated for by additional gen 3.0 lanes put out by the SoC.
    Sources also mention that ASMedia-supplied chipsets will only hit the market toward the end of 2019, which means AMD X570 could be the only 500-series chipset option between the mid-2019 launch of 3rd generation Ryzen, and late-2019.
    You should be able to run these processors on older socket AM4 motherboards via BIOS updates, though.

chispy and Fox2232 like this.

11. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    Cool, was going to pass the C6H down and pucker up to the x570 series. Now just waiting to see what Asus has up their sleeves. Why does time have to be so consistent all the time.

Fox2232 and chispy like this.
  12. Webhiker

Webhiker Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC2
    Initially I will just get a 12 core 3700X (since personally, I don't think the 16 core will be available initially). But if it turns out that X570 brings something extra, performance wise, I will jump on that.

OnnA and chispy like this.
  13. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT+AW@240Hz
    I am quite happy with my X470 Taichi. Unless X570 (Supposedly AMD's inhouse product) does something magical, I am staying on X470.
    And I intend to move to 12C/24T. I just hope it comes early enough.

OnnA likes this.
  14. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega XTX LiQuiD
    I will pick 3xxx 8/16 or 10/20 or 12/24 and staying on the Hero VI.
    I don't want to reinstall my WinX, Plug & Play for Me :p

15. Jagman

Jagman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT Pulse
    8c/16t 3600X for me on my B350 board, assuming it gets the necessary BIOS update :)

16. tarot

tarot Active Member

GPU:
    XFX Vega 64
    the point for me is you do not HVE to get a new board reduces upgrade costa a lot plus reactivating windows and other things used to be a massive pain :)
    my psycho conspiracy hat is gnawing at my brain though...what happens to the board makers, how much of a hit do they take because every time a new chip comes out no one has to update the board as well(hi Intel...how ya doin)

probably nothing but I think it would be interesting to know :)
    as for boosting yeah colder= faster, summer here I had to drop my overclock on my threadripper because an ambient temp of 34 degrees did not sit well with it(that's with the aircon on mind you...in the mountains...) watercooled and all but on stock it does boost on or a little above the max more often than not so no big deal, if you own an amd the one thing I would splurge on is cooling, might be a big outlay from the start but its something that will stay with you through countless upgrades because the socket/chip doesn't change. Just my opinion of course :)

17. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega XTX LiQuiD
    This also works if You wanna back to Older BIOS Build ;)

18. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega XTX LiQuiD
    AMD Ryzen 3000 Desktop CPUs and X570 Motherboards With PCIe Gen 4.0 Allegedly Launching on 7th July

We may have little details about AMD’s upcoming Ryzen 3000 CPUs and Radeon Navi GPUs but it looks like we may be hearing a lot more about them sooner rather than later.
    According to a new report from RedGamingTech, they have been told that AMD will be launching three new product platforms which include Ryzen 3000, X570 and Radeon Navi in July.

The source reports that just like Radeon VII that got the 7th February release date which clearly highlighted the 7nm process technology featured on the card,
    the 7th July (7/7/2019) release to emphasize the use of 7nm across all AMD mainstream families (GPU & CPU). It’s a really great marketing approach for AMD.
    Also what’s interesting to note here the mentioned date is for the release which means AMD would probably make an announcement earlier.

Computex 2019 looks to be the best platform for AMD to announce their new mainstream lineups. Last year at Computex, AMD announced their 2nd Generation Ryzen Threadripper processors that became available in August 2018,
    almost two months later. For the upcoming 7nm products, AMD will give us a month before actual availability commences if the rumor is accurate.

We have already heard plans of various announcements regarding the Ryzen 3000 series so we might just get to see Zen 2 in action at the AMD press conference.
    Computex would also give partners of AMD to show-case their new motherboards which will also be announced at the event. Now let’s talk about the upcoming product families starting off with Ryzen 3000.

AMD Ryzen 3000 & X570 Motherboards Specs, Prices, and Launch – Zen 2 Architecture, More Cores, Higher Perf/Watt, Improved IPC, and 7nm Process Design

At CES 2019, AMD announced Mattise, also known as the 3rd Generation Ryzen Desktop Processor family. AMD confirmed that the CPUs will be available around mid of 2019 which goes in line with the rumored release date of 7th July 2019.
    AMD Ryzen 3000 series desktop processors as they will be labeled will be using the latest
    TSMC 7nm process node and the brand new Zen 2 architecture which focuses on providing higher IPC and improved efficiency over the 12nm Zen + architecture that currently resides within the Ryzen 2000 series desktop processors.

AMD’s first official demo of their Ryzen 3000 mainstream desktop processors was an 8 core, 16 thread chip, pitted against the 8 core and 16 thread Intel Core i9-9900K.
    Not only did the AMD Ryzen 3000 series desktop processor had a slight edge in completing the multi-threaded Cine-Bench R15 benchmark, but it also managed to do so consuming almost 50W less power.
    That is incredible considering in just a generation, AMD will manage to outpace Intel in overall efficiency that is something Intel had been leading for many generations but their stagnant progress and heavy reliance on
    14nm process has led AMD to top their rivals in performance per watt and just pure raw performance too.

More:
    -> https://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-3000-cpus-x570-motherboards-and-radeon-navi-gpus-7nm-launch-rumor/

SplashDown and chispy like this.
  19. SplashDown

SplashDown Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980ti Classy
    I'm thinking same thing with my ASUS CH x470, should be a cool and cheap upgrade with the 8c/16t part, pretty much plug and go I hope. I just hope the x570 chipset isnt needed for it to run right.

20. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega XTX LiQuiD