The AMD Ryzen All In One Tread /Overclocking/Memory Speeds & Timings/Tweaking/Cooling Part 2

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by vbetts, Sep 24, 2018.

1. K.S.

K.S. Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 GAMING OC
    Finally :) a chance to see what 1004 is all about

[​IMG]

OnnA likes this.
  2. Kool64

Kool64 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 1070
    Nice. That SMU is slightly newer than the beta bios for my ASrock B450.

3. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    WHY Meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee MY 1.0.0.4B BIOS sucks, why am I cursed with low cinebench20 scores.Intel curse you.OH wait my gaming scores are good,my encoding is fast but frack it is not saying 5000Mhz why an I so cursed with AMD.NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO save me.
    [​IMG]

4. K.S.

K.S. Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 GAMING OC
    [​IMG]

SMU... so power management, config etc... Maybe something newer for boost, voltages etc (not that I'm complaining)... sweet.

5. Kool64

Kool64 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 1070
    I do think they toned down the SMU aggressiveness in 1.0.0.4. Now I never got an ABBA to play with but I did have the modified ABB with what I think was going to be the ABBA SMU in it and it definitely boosted more often and for longer. I would still be using that one but the beta 1.0.0.4 works better with my memory so I'm sticking with it.

6. K.S.

K.S. Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 GAMING OC
    Totally! My current sticks are on my board's QVL (go figure) and yet weren't stable until this latest flash. lol. Ah well. Just glad I can use my rig now :). I pretty much use most of the power conservation options and modes I can... I noticed one thing that's new on my board's PBO option now in this version. "PBO 45W Eco" mode...

7. 386SX

386SX Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD Vega64 RedDevil
    Oh man do I hate this. I just took my crap-illionst try to get 120mhz bclk stable.
    Voltage is OK.
    Temps never rise above 65 degrees celsius.
    Testmem5 runs 5+ loops fine without error.

But ...

1. I cannot get lower timings than CL14 besides using the 2666 strap to get to 3200mhz effectively. Shouldn't I be able to get it at least to CL12 something because using the lower strap? C6H does CL11.
    2. My screen always gets dark after some usage. Because bclk oc I stressed all components at once with Testmem5 for memory, AIDA stresstest for GPU only, VLC with 4k video open and running a game fullscreen in the background while converting this 4k video to 1080p in different video/ audio format.
    The screen went black, no sound, nothing, but a blinking memory diagnostic LED on my motherboard.
    Any hints on what I could change? I heard CLDO voltage helps, but I don't know anything about that.

8. K.S.

K.S. Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 GAMING OC
    EDIT: rather... bear in mind - eventually you'll plateau.
    Look for anything in your BIOS related to the PSU worded as or closest to "Power Supply Idle Control" within that Low Current Idle or Typical Current Idle choose Typical Current Idle. Low Current Idle is a compatibility/legacy feature, assuming yours is a newer PSU go with Typical. Low will also inadvertently cause undervolting in certain scenarios.
    CLDO_VDDP is tricky. It's a cut between your processor sku and memory settings. For some overclockers/tweakers stability is aided by a voltage increase or decrease to this setting.
    I'd still check this against your own testing but you can find configurations out there ranging between 850 mv to 1000 mv (that is unless your default is lower or higher for whatever reason).
    • Unless maxed out on all RAM DIMMs; verify you're using the recc placement of your Modules for the amount you have installed (consult your motherboard manual) if this is wrong it will screw stuff up.
    • Ehh the lower strap doesn't necessarily guarantee that. Hmm. Try different Command Rates, 1T, 2T, Gear Down Mode on / off.
    • The "UCLK==MEMCLK" and "UCLK==MEMCLK/2" settings can assist with memory stability if overclocking / tuning. MEMCLK/2 basically sacrifices some Infinity Fabric bandwidth at the flip-side of stability.
    • ProcODT is pretty well optimized by now but some have found fine tuning it to a specific frequency to stabilize overclocking.
    You might want to save an OC profile before embarking on all this. Good chance you'll lock your system before finding the right combination.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019 at 4:07 PM
    386SX likes this.
  9. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    Yes the 1.0.0.4b is toned down a bit on the boost part but I really do not mind at all if I boost to 4500Mhz or 4400Mhz.I play games 4K Freesync so the CPU clock is fine.
    As far as memory goes, I have not had a problem on any BIOS setting memory up to CL16 4200Mhz ,weird thing I have not tried higher than 4200Mhz on the RAM.
    I agree BIOS 1.0.0.4b is good enough and is a keeper and waiting for 1.0.0.7 now to come out.

First Beta BIOS vs 1.0.0.4b BIOS
    [​IMG]

K.S. likes this.
  10. Paul L

Paul L Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 5700XT

11. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega 64 XTX LiQuiD
  12. K.S.

K.S. Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 GAMING OC
    ^ Man did time already flash that fast lol! *whew* holy gawd AMD has been burning the midnight oil eh

Last edited: Nov 10, 2019 at 3:33 AM
  13. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX GTX 1080
    To be fair, that information is more helpful to the first and second generation Ryzen CPUs. There is a change in the IMC of the 3000 series. The basic rules are just that basic. What comes next is the unconventional and it is just trial and error, testing to see if it is an improvement or not. What has made me comment on it was the whole thing about not seeing an improvement with setting Trcdwr lower than Trcdrd. Cannot agree with that. There is an improvement; noticeable too. Mine is lowered as low as the bios allows 8. Bandwidth saw an uptick. Test Mem5 finished quicker as well. So there is an improvement maybe not in games but with other uses, there is.

Was premature earlier in saying that I found the timings I was staying with...until I finally dialed in the unconventional timings I am using now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    These are the results with the above timings and a cpu offset of -0.0875

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    These are the results with the same above timings and a cpu offset of -0.1000v

What Ryzen Master does not show is that Trdwr and Twrrd are both set to Auto. If Tcwl is set differently than CAS those two settings need to change to make it viable. Plus what is also not show is that those settings even when Tcwl is set same as CAS, the settings for Channel A and B are not the same when left on Auto. These settings gave me the best results both with singe core results but multicore results as well. CPPC and PSU idle control were left on Auto...do not like how the rig responds when those are specifically enabled.

Currently playing with the cpu voltage offset to see where the best compromise with the Vcore voltages, performance gains, and cpu thermals.

Mr. Sunshine and 386SX like this.
  14. 386SX

386SX Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD Vega64 RedDevil
  15. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega 64 XTX LiQuiD
    1440p Gaming Vs RAM LLT

[​IMG]

16. SpajdrEX

SpajdrEX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB RTX 2060 SUPER
    K.S. and Kool64 like this.
  17. Kool64

Kool64 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 1070

sweet thanks for the heads up. I'm always excited to try out a new BIOS.... which is something I've never really said before I got my first Ryzen system.

Edit:

Just loaded that BIOS and ran a Cinebench 20 lost 100 points on the multicore test single stayed the same. Same basic settings as I had on the earlier beta.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2019 at 3:26 PM
  18. SpajdrEX

SpajdrEX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB RTX 2060 SUPER
    I need to redo RAM settings, saved bios profile does not load :-/
    First difference in bios I spotted > I can set BLCK frequency now.

Evildead666 likes this.
  19. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega 64 XTX LiQuiD
    AMD's sTRX4 socket isn't being replaced anytime soon

I think this is the first time I have seen AMD confirm something officially on Reddit as opposed to a presser, event or the official website.
    It also showcases just how much of a difference a few years have made to how companies involve their communities (although to be fair to AMD, the company has been receptive to the community earlier than any of its competitors).
    The little nugget of information was dropped on the official announcement post by AMD and here is the relevant extract:

Introducing Socket sTRX4

3rd Gen AMD Ryzen Threadripper processors will be using a new socket called sTRX4. While the pin count will be the same as previous-gen Threadripper products at 4094, the mapping of those pins to voltage or data will be different this time ‘round.
    You cannot install a 3rd Gen Threadripper into an older motherboard, nor an older Threadripper into a new sTRX4 motherboard.

There are two essential reasons for this:

• We wanted to drive maximum performance for the 3rd Gen AMD Ryzen Threadripper processors and sTRX4 helps us do exactly that.
    • The 3rd Gen Threadripper will have 88 total PCIe Gen 4 lanes with 72 usable (CPU+motherboard).
    • The net of total versus usable is because we’re also increasing the CPU<->chipset link from 4x Gen4 to 8x Gen4—quadruple the bandwidth vs. 2nd Gen TR.
    • Extra data pins between the chipset and CPU make this possible, so you’ll be able to hang more I/O off the motherboard at full performance.

• The socket change also sets us up nicely for future development and scalability of the Threadripper platform, both on a near- and long-term basis.
    ---extract from AMD's official post on Reddit.

20. Kool64

Kool64 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 1070
    Yeah I can set the BLCK to 101 but anything higher is a lock up in BIOS. I can't get my memory to run past it's rated 3600 even with the sloppy stock timings so I'm not sure I'm a fan of this BIOS. However I can get my 3700x to boost 3 cores to 4444 with it at 101and got a new record of 5006 on the multicore CB20 and right now it’s boosting 2 cores to 4418 in single. I don’t think 101 is a huge issue so I’ll probably stick with this BIOS and try to figure the memory issue out.

Edit:

single core score 515. I’m keeping this one.