The AMD Ryzen All In One Tread /Overclocking/Memory Speeds & Timings/Tweaking/Cooling Part 2

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by vbetts, Sep 24, 2018.

1. Jawnys

Jawnys Master Guru

GPU:
    asus tuf oc 3090
    its a matter of fiddling with the timing, these are my benchmark result for my tweak, you just have to zzoom in the picuture a bit
    https://imgur.com/EiVpUEA

2. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    That is how it work's now and it is doing a great job.No need for the CPU to run full clocks all the time,if not needed.
    Set an all core overclock to ease your own mind if needed.
    AMD's boost is just as good as all core overclock no matter what it say's with, the on screen display in MSI Afterburner.
    Test it for yourself.I did and I am fine with AMD and how they got boost working.

3. Zenoth

Zenoth Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080
    I think there's some misunderstanding here.

I'm not asking nor wishing for maximum boosted clocks "all the time". What I'm talking about is that the boost frequencies keep fluctuating all the time regardless of what's going on in the game.

If I'm playing something like Total War Shogun with literal hundreds of troops on the field battling it out, it actually goes down, back to default 3.6Ghz and stays there for 'x' seconds. Then it goes up a bit only to keep going down again (and then up again at some point). Within a period of 1 or 2 minutes those fluctuations are non-stop and extremely frequent. If I'm in a town in Diablo 3 doing nothing, it's going up all the way to 4.2Ghz for 'x' seconds, and goes down to default, and then rises up again. This behavior is in Every. Single. game I have tested (at this point 12+ games). The so-called "boosting based on demands" or "will stay down in frequency if more performance is not needed" logic is actual nonsense from my own observations, and everything so far points to arbitrary jumps in frequencies based on absolutely nothing specific while a game runs. It just... jumps up and goes back down seemingly randomly. The only one sort of "constant" I observe is that when I stay in Desktop playing nothing then it usually stays at around 3.6Ghz to 3.8Ghz or so, but it does sometimes jump up to 4.2Ghz anyway even in the Desktop. So, to me it doesn't make sense that I'm sitting on a bench in a town in Skyrim looking at NPCs going about their daily routine and the frequencies keep going down and up, and it doesn't make sense that I'm playing Battlefield 2 with tons of things going on at once but the frequencies decide to stay at default most of the time.

But anyway... one thing is right, the 3700X works and it's stable; that does matter and I'm happy. I'm just not understanding that whole "boost frequencies based on CPU needs" in games when what I actually observe points to unpredictable and random changes in frequencies. I guess that ignorance is bliss in the end. There's probably something I don't understand and I'll leave it at that I guess. I'll just be content with the fact that it does boost itself up occasionally.

4. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Master Guru

GPU:
    SapphireNitro V64
    Yeah... no penalty with the 3900X. Thinking of getting the 3950X if I will work with my board.

5. gerardfraser

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    I guess I can say this again, AMD's boost is just as good as all core overclock no matter what it say's with, the on screen display in MSI Afterburner.

How about this then and I agree with you, AMD CPU Ryzen 3xxx work good and maybe the fluctuating clocks are a real OCD moment for some people because it is not what they are use to.Maybe it also bugs me but as long as the performance is there I am ok with whatever it says on any software.

Here is what I think is going on.
    So maybe the AMD Boost algorithm's is just turning on/off individual core's(put cores to sleep and turns cores back on) to fast for any software and is showing the best accurate reading the software records at that time when the software takes it's reading.

So lets say AMD Boost algorithm turns on/off 1000 times a sec(checks CPU Clock) and lets say MSI Afterburner checks every second.It can only display the actual correct clock speed every second in MSI Afterburner on screen display when the software checks the CPU clock.

Of course one could always look up how many times the algorithm turn's on/off per second.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2019
  6. erouz

erouz Member

GPU:
    1070ti
    Guys trying tweak my B-die but every time I will go more than 3200hz my north bridge get cut 1/4?? any advice?

7. gerardfraser

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    Northbridge/memory controller never gets cut by 1/4.IT does by 1/2 just to point it out.

The memory clock (mclk), the memory controller clock (uclk), and the infinity fabric clock (fclk) all need to be synced for best results.You can set the clocks in the BIOS like this.

Set your Memory controller(uclk) DIV1 Mode to = memory clock (mclk) to keep them synced or look for the setting on your Motherboard BIOS.
    https://i.**********/0Q93RZrR/CPUConfig-00.png

So Ram(mclk) + Memory controller(uclk) are 1:1 and Infinity Fabric(fclk) Can be set up to 1900Mhz separate.
    https://i.**********/Cdppw007/clock.png

erouz likes this.
  8. erouz

erouz Member

GPU:
    1070ti
    hehe yes you have right I just think my way. I meant when I set 1800FCKL it show 900.
    I set infinity fabric as half of memory speed and I dont have other option.
    I think I cant use xmp profile as a base because its lock infinity fabric at xmp profile speed I will test my theory tomorrow.

9. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080Ti VISION OC
  10. gerardfraser

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    The Outer Worlds Ryzen 3800X 4500Mhz average CPU clock.BIOS 10.0.0.3abba

11. Kool64

Kool64 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX2070S
    My 3700x averages 4300 all core with the occasional dip down to 4275 which is pretty good considering I wouldn’t be able to get a static OC that high. It never does hit 4400 while gaming though. I have a 1.0.0.4 beta bios on my B450.

12. gerardfraser

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    I just think it is all in the Motherboard,maybe the MSI boards have more aggressive setting than Asrock and hence some differences in CPU clocks.I would not worry about the CPU clocks ,the cpu's are fast and a higher CPU clock does not mean a faster CPU in gaming or anything really.
    I do not run my CPU for the highest clocks,sure it is fun testing but running 4400Mhz/4500Mhz/4600Mhz compared to just letting the CPU do it's thing is negligible in PC gaming for me.

Mr. Sunshine likes this.
  13. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Master Guru

GPU:
    SapphireNitro V64
    My 3700x averages 4300-4325 all core in game with PBO and 4275-4300 without. Asus X470 Strix board/ 1.0.0.3 ABBA and 360/AIO cooled.

I agree. definitely a vendor/board/bios issue. The MSI boards have got the 3000 series cpus dialed in. AsRock, Asus, feel like mailed it in for the most part. Gigabyte are doing ok. I hope with next BIOS update coming that it will fix some things but wont keep my hopes up. So have started modding BIOS in order to get the CPUs running like a can.

14. 386SX

386SX Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD Vega64 RedDevil
    Anybody tried a BCLK higher than 104.8 and has some nvme drive working? Does it work? Does it fall back to pcie 2.0 speeds?

EDIT: My SATA ports are populated, too (7 out of 8 total), I just read you shouldn't use SATA drives at all when doing this. Anyone some solid experience on that? That would indeed be a deal breaker.

And then there is an option named "BCLK divider", settings from 1 to 5. But while changing other values changes clock speeds visibly, changing this does nothing visibly. There are some questions on forums about that, but most seem to don't know it or mistake it for LLC setting.
    My best guess is it changes some other clock which I am unable to see (no visible fclk or uclk in my BIOS).

Sorry for asking all this stuff here, but solid info on that is so difficult to find. And every time I think I found a source where the explanation makes sense, I scroll further and see stuff like "I am running 1.5v vDIMM on air" or "set LLC to 5 to be sure your vCore doesn't drop below 1.4v" or other nonsense.

OK, OK, I will say it: I trust you guys more than those others. :D

Last edited: Nov 3, 2019
  15. gerardfraser

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    No BCLK clocking but did turn up some CPU voltage for some stable BF5 3800X @ 4600Mhz. Had to turn off freesync for more than 60FPS while streaming.

386SX, OnnA and Mr. Sunshine like this.

16. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080Ti VISION OC

Last edited: Nov 3, 2019
    386SX likes this.
  17. Jawnys

Jawnys Master Guru

GPU:
    asus tuf oc 3090
    is your clock manually set to 4600mhz? i run a 3900x no blck oc no manuel clock set, just everything at default, i get boost to 4.4 4.450 while gaming altho my cpu rarely goes over 55 C in gaming, in modern warfare it actually almost never go over 50 with the new agesa 1.0.0.4 beta on my x570 steel legend

18. gerardfraser

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    Yes the clock was manually set to see if I could run BF5 @ 4600Mhz and it could,off course that is not Prime95 avx stable nor would I even try at the CPU voltage.

Setting up PBO override in BIOS my AMD 3800X can game up to 4650Mhz in the 45°C-55°C also,is that not the craziest thing.Take that sucky 3900X :D

Added video for proof that it really can,I do not have any COD games install,so this would have to do.Your turn ,make a video and lets see how good your 3900X really is with your fancy X570 steel legends compared to my x470 motherboard I paid around $10USD on a deal .Also I am just fracking with ya but I would still like to see a video of 3900X gaming since I will be buying one for the fun of it soon.

19. gerardfraser

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    1usmus member on this site is doing some stuff.His twitter below. Interesting

Release date - 4 November

First of all, this applies to owners of 3900X and future owners of 3950X. I sent the appropriate recommendation to AMD, I really hope that in the near future it will be implemented at an official level.

My dears, I have prepared my own power profile for Ryzen, it will fix all problems with boost and also reduce the temperature in idle and loads where all the cores are not involved. On average, I get a difference of 200-250 MHz

https://twitter.com/1usmus

20. Have there been reports of the default 3000 series PBO voltages causing hardware problems?

This may be coincidence (believe me it happens) I installed my 3700x kept it on stock w/th PBO (as is the stock BIOS setting) a week later my ASUS ROG Strix B450-I died. Looking at the VRMs in that area appeared...few darkened, as if burned a little... so... that has been sent off to ASUS via RMA (guess I'll see if they'll even warranty it)

Anyways tried the CPU in a trash AM4 board I have lying around mostly for testing - it functioned, ran a stability test - passed. CPUs working. Guess I'm wondering is it ok to be letting these run so hot and high in voltage? I run behind a UPS on a grounded line as well.

Anyone under-volt their 8-core Zen 2s on purpose after reading anything about voltage concerns and what is recommended far as adaptive and negative vcore subtracted?