The AMD Ryzen All In One Tread /Overclocking/Memory Speeds & Timings/Tweaking/Cooling Part 2

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by vbetts, Sep 24, 2018.

1. 386SX

386SX Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD Vega64 RedDevil
    Somebody mind to share his RAM profile for Samsung B-die on Ryzen gen 1? I am still searching for settings better than mine. Currently running this with issues (sudden quit-to-desktop / app-hangs):

[​IMG]

I saw some people recommend 60 ohms on ProcODT ...
    The lower I get with tRFC (XMP is 560) the more errors I get. Ryzen RAM calculator recommends something about 256, which leads to apphangs a lot more often.
    Temps stay normal all the time.

I would love to get a working 3600 profile, but a decent setup at 3200 MHz would be a great start, too.

Any suggestions?

2. SplashDown

SplashDown Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980ti Classy
    https://i.**********/prX6T4Sk/Capture.jpg Here is what I'm running my Samsung B-Die 2x8 3200 at. / Ram @1.40 & SOC @ 1.15 / I'm on a 2700x but this is stilt's settings and I think they are good fot 1st Gen too, Good luck I hope it helps you.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2019
    386SX likes this.
  3. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX GTX 1080
    @386X When I was running my 1800X on the CrossHair VI, the best settings that helped achieve stability ram wise was setting the timings 14-14-15-14-28-42 @ 3466 and with 1.41v. ProcODT was 35.3 and the Addrcmd/Csodt/cke setup settings were at 1 with the other resistances all at 24. The Rtt settings were 7/off/5. That was achieved with the cpu running with a 3.9GHz all core oc. When I get home will see if I can dig up a capture with those settings. As far as 3600 on 1st gen, best of luck. Not many were able to achieve that.

EDIT: all could find was my 1700X rig settings.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 8, 2019
    386SX likes this.
  4. Kool64

Kool64 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX2070S
    My new 2x 16gb 3600 "amd certified" kit. I bit higher latency than I was hoping for but I have timings set that are even tighter than the stock settings but a 200 MHZ oc on the ram speed. Not to bad for doubling my amount of ram and buying the "slower CAS memory(it's hynix MFR). Oh and I was actually kinda suprised it worked at 3800 and IF 1900 with the lowend B450 board I have.

[​IMG]

OnnA likes this.

5. SpajdrEX

SpajdrEX AMD Vanguard

GPU:
    RTX2070 SUPER
    Kool64: How much voltage on RAM you have at these timings?

6. Kool64

Kool64 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX2070S
    "just" 1.4. It's actually as high as my board can go on memory voltage.

7. SpajdrEX

SpajdrEX AMD Vanguard

GPU:
    RTX2070 SUPER
    Yeah, I got same mobo :p:D

8. Zenoth

Zenoth Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080
    Just installed my new Ryzen 7 3700X yesterday.

It works well, no overclocking. But I'm wondering if the Idle temp is "fine" or if it's perhaps a little too high. I'm using the cooler that came with it. However, I did use 99% Isopropyl Alcohol to remove the default thermal paste (entirely, no trace of it left after I cleaned it) and applied my new Arctic Silver paste instead. I installed the cooler properly and everything is fine; I also removed the cooler after installing it to make sure there wasn't too much paste, everything was fine.

So with this said, in the BIOS it is Idling at between 44ºC to 46ºC. My previous Ryzen 5 1600 overclocked at 3.6Ghz was Idling at around 37ºC or 38ºC, if I recall correctly. This is with a room temp of around 26ºC. In the Desktop, according to Hardware Monitor it's pretty much Idling at the indicated temps in the BIOS (around 45ºC, varying by 1 or 2 degrees). The CPU's Fan RPM seems to go at around 980RPM in Idle stance in the Desktop (according to Hardware Monitor, and that's without touching a single setting for the Fans in the BIOS by the way). I haven't checked the temps on Load yet, but the Idling temp is 'curiously higher than expected' if I can put it this way.

Now of course this CPU isn't my previous Ryzen 5 1600, but the cooler isn't the same either. The one that came with my 1600 was a bit smaller (the one with the 4 black plastic screws), but the temps were lower. Which makes me wonder if I'm the one who didn't apply thermal paste properly or if this newer default cooler included with the 3700X (with the brackets) is simply not as good as the previous one. I'm more confused than concerned right now. I'd like to hear from you guys.

On a side note, this is my first ever 8 Core CPU, so perhaps these temps are the norm with air cooling (via default coolers provided in the box) and I just don't have to worry about it.

9. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Master Guru

GPU:
    SapphireNitro V64
    Wish I could get 3800mhz.... seems like 3733mhz is limit of CPU/MB/Mem.. I've tried every combo of timings/voltage but it just gives me 3 boot fails and loads into bios.

https://i.**********/Hk0tp2D0/Screenshot-4254.png

10. Kool64

Kool64 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX2070S
    Well personally I’d rather have your stats because the raw speed is helping but I can’t crunch the timings anymore than they are.

11. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080S WaterForceWB
    @Zenoth
    make sure to turn off PBO and enable cool N quiet in bios.

12. Kool64

Kool64 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX2070S
    So here is a results comparison in Deus Ex MKD same low est settings on 720P compared to my old ram

old ram:

[​IMG]

new ram:

[​IMG]

Not too shabby.

Maddness likes this.
  13. Evildead666

Evildead666 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Vega64/EKWB/Noctua
    Just out of curiosity, have you updated the Bios ?
    I saw high idle temps until I got to the ABBA bios.

fry178 likes this.
  14. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega 64 XTX LiQuiD
  15. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX GTX 1080
    CPU core voltage, temps, and fans did not calm down till an offset of -0.1000v was utilized. That with ABBA and Performance Enhancer set to 3(oc), cpu keeps an all core 4.4 with temps not breaking 65 and core voltage not going over 1.395. A core or two does boost to 4.5 for short periods of time. So if looking to keep temps down it is worth looking at setting the offset at or near -0.1000v.

16. Zenoth

Zenoth Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080
    Yeah, latest version for my ASUS B350 Plus (version 5220).

Just for a small test I've let just one game running in the background while checking for the temperatures. With Overwatch in the background (just the game sitting at the main menu, nothing else) the CPU is idling at 47ºC to 48ºC according to HWMonitor. It also shows that the vCore's Minimum value is 1.003v, and Maximum is 1.493v. The left side value (the one that's updating live every 2 seconds or so) indicates that the vCore varies from 1.003 to 1.460+ constantly. To repeat, this is just idling while Overwatch runs in the background, just to see if the temps would increase dramatically or not with just one program running, other than Firefox and this one window opened to type this message. The CPU Fan is reported to be at 980 RPM. Now, according to HWiNFO64, most values are the same, except that the idling temp varies from 49ºC to 52ºC.

Now I haven't checked full load temps, but to me the current sort of "general use" temps seem a little too high at least compared to my previous setup (with my R5 1600 and its other cooler). I'm currently using the Ryzen Balanced Power Plan, but I'll give a try to some of the custom Power Plan settings I'm seeing in this thread and then I'll see if it helps or not. If not then I'll probably give another go to applying thermal paste again, maybe I didn't do it properly initially (but that would surprise me, still... it's possible).

17. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080S WaterForceWB
    There is no temp offset anymore, so what you see is actual temps.
    Use win balanced with min set to like 20-30%, max to 100.
    Make sure to turn off pcie power saving.
    I also setup the power savings profile with 0/50% to use when not gaming/low load like surfing/streaming which keeps clocks/voltage lower.

18. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX GTX 1080
    There is no reason why a cpu needs that much voltage, 1.493v, at any time. Seriously set the cpu offset to -0.1000v. Provided the bios was done properly, it will not lessen the boost ability of the cpu. If the performance is not liked, then start lowering the offset till happy with the outcome. The temps will come down as well. With the offset set at -0.1000v, my vCore never goes above 1.395v

Maddness likes this.
  19. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega 64 XTX LiQuiD
    C.Hero VI & PCIe 4.0
    Hmm :p (from CPU side of course).

[​IMG]

20. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega 64 XTX LiQuiD