1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The AMD Ryzen All In One Tread /Overclocking/Memory Speeds & Timings/Tweaking/Cooling Part 2

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by vbetts, Sep 24, 2018.

1. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti Gaming X
    I bought the G.Skill kit but unfortunately I had trouble enabling XMP and when I finally did get the system to boot it will restart itself instantly when I run Cinebench or play games. Sad cause the kit is unbeatable when you think price vs performance. There is no other 3600 CL16 kit out there really.

2. Webhiker

Webhiker Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080i SC2
    What kit is that ?
    I just setup a G Skill Z RGB F4360016D-16GTZ on a 3700X. Using stock timings : 16-16-16-16 with RAS 36 - RC 52 - RRDS 4 - RRD 9 - FAW 44 using 1.35v
    Which is what the XMP profile is according to Thaiphoon and it runs smooth. Sure it can be pushed a lot further but it works great out of the box.
    The Kit is using Samsung B-Die.
    EDIT
    As a side note we also flashed the 0002+ bios on his C7H board. Damn the thing can boost now.
    I can't wait to get my 3900X. Boy oh boy.

3. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    OK your not understanding how the XMP works or I been trolled to epic levels ;).

Your RAM G.Skill 16GB 3200MHz CL14 Trident Z will not work on XMP settings for your AMD CPU without some kind of problem.
    You need to tweak your settings for your ram to work properly and without errors.I gave you setting for excellent IC's on the memory.What you need to do is ,as I suggested in last post.

In thaiphoon burner export your XMP profile with complete HTML Report and save delays in nanoseconds to desktop or somewhere you would remember.
    Then import the XMP complete HTML Report to DRAM Calculator for Ryzen

Then in the DRAM Calculator for Ryzen pick the settings you want and try them,they are ment as a guide and if you have a couple of errors give more voltage.
    If games crash/stop/hitch/stutter then your RAM timings are incorrect and you need to set them properly.This is why the DRAM Calculator for Ryzen is perfect guide for someone/anyone out there.

This is your RAM which has XMP 2.0 Support for Intel
    Programmed with the latest Intel XMP 2.0 profiles, the only thing between you and extreme performance is a simple setting.

Also if you want 32GB ram ,pick out anyone I listed from the qualified vendors list for your motherboard and it will work CL16 3600Mhz.I am pretty confident there but anything is possible but at the very least it will work as advertised at minimum .

Also Webhiker mentioned his RAM which there are hundreds that will work the same on your motherboard without problems ,especially on Ryzen 3 Chip.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2019
  4. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti Gaming X
    It's this kit : F4-3600C16D-32GTZNC
    (https://www.gskill.com/product/165/...DDR4-3600MHz-CL16-19-19-39-1.35V32GB-(2x16GB))

Wait a second man :) I think you are misunderstanding me.

These are the RAM sticks I bought first : F4-3200C14D-16GTZRX. I could enable XMP in BIOS without changing or tweaking anything, it just worked every time. I could even OC them to 3600/CL14 according to your timings a while back (although it returned some errors in MEM test). But this was only 16GB and I wanted 32GB but since these RAM are so expensive (~220€ per 16GB) that would cost me 440€ to get 32GB, maybe because they were SR Samsung B-die.

That's why I started to look at alternatives and finally got the F4-3600C16D-32GTZNC you recommended for ~260€. I popped them in and they booted at stock but when I enabled XMP I had problems booting but after a restart the computer booted. Problem now is that I cannot play games or put pressure on the CPU else my computer restarts itself. These are DR Hynix.

I checked on another forum and I a guy there said the mobo sets XMP voltages way off (probably cause the sticks aren't compatible). So if I could tweak them, maybe that would help? Here is a screen shot of Ryzen Master.

[​IMG]

On a final note, availability for 3600MHz RAM in Sweden is fairly poor so finding two 16GB sticks is not very easy. Sure, I did find F4-3600C16D-16GTZR (G.Skill 3600/CL16 which also is Samsung B-die) but these are as expensive as my original memory. Then there is of course CMK16GX4M2Z3600C18 which is Corsair 3600MHz/CL18 but they are worse than the ones I've already bought.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2019

5. Webhiker

Webhiker Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080i SC2
    @Netherwind

No matter what board you are using, you should try manually inserting the timings into the BIOS.
    It often yields better results than using the XMP profile. Don't ask me why.

6. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti Gaming X
    Well, if you ask me it feels strange that there is this XMP feature that comes with every kit but cannot be used. The reason why I'm surprised is that I've used XMP on a Z170 mobo and now my old kit on this mobo which worked fine, but on the other hand both were supported in QVL and this new kit isn't.

7. Webhiker

Webhiker Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080i SC2
    As gerardfraser said : The XMP 2.0 profile is for Intel, so that might be why.
    In my 2700X rig I'm using Flare-x ram but with manually keyed in timings, since the XMP profile simply doesn't work.

8. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti Gaming X
    Sorry, let me be more precise - The Neo C version has an D.O.C.P / A-XMP profiles and is specifically tailored for the AMD platform.

https://www.gskill.com/product/165/...DDR4-3600MHz-CL16-19-19-39-1.35V32GB-(2x16GB)

9. gerardfraser

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    LOL OK I am done with confusion now,you straightened me out.I missed that you actually bought that Ram,My fault. On your new ram please try this below.(F4-3600C16D-32GTZNC)

In thaiphoon burner export your XMP profile with complete HTML Report and save delays in nanoseconds to desktop or somewhere you would remember.
    Then import the XMP complete HTML Report to DRAM Calculator for Ryzen

Then in the DRAM Calculator for Ryzen pick the settings you want and try them,they are meant as a guide and if you have a couple of errors give more voltage.
    If games crash/stop/hitch/stutter then your RAM timings are incorrect and you need to set them properly.This is why the DRAM Calculator for Ryzen is perfect guide for someone/anyone out there.

10. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070ti 2114/4375

11. Webhiker

Webhiker Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080i SC2
    I know the Neo C is designed for the X570 and AMD 3000 platform. But since it doesn't work why not try other options.
    According to your profile you have an X470 board, right ?

12. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti Gaming X
    Actually I got help on another forum and they found the reason why my RAM was so unstable - the voltages, specifically VDDP and VDDG were way too high, 1,10v and 1,15v respectively (should be 0,9v/0,95v), also SoC was too low. Then we did tweaks to Gear Down Mode, Command Rate and ProcODT and now it works perfectly fine. It has passed both Cinebench and CPU-Z bench and I'll play some games this weekends to look for BSODs. General performance is higher now than with my old memory so that's nice as well :)

I might check DRAM Calculator anyway though.

Yes you are right, that's why it was a bit of a risk but as stated above, it seemed to have turned out well after some tinkering with voltages and timings. There is probably a little bit more to tweak but at least my system doesn't seem to restart itself any more. Hopefully official memory support will be added with a new BIOS version later down the line. I've sent my data to MSI so maybe that will help them.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2019
  13. gerardfraser

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    That is great,nice to read.happy gaming.

Netherwind likes this.
  14. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega 64 XTX LiQuiD
    Some knowledge to absorb :p

15. mikeysg

mikeysg Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PC VEGA64 Red Devil
    Been mucking around with my setup, just to experiment, I tried setting one of the CPU to 4600Mhz, and it did hit that target (4599Mhz actually), but wasn't very stable as my other cores ran at 4400Mhz (perhaps a dumba$$ move on my part). Anyway, it was cool to see one core actually hitting that speed though. Now have all cores at 4500Mhz (weirdly, all at 4499Mhz actually) at 1.3375v, RAM at 3334Mhz. Haven't really delve into RAM OC'ing and timing yet, waiting to get my 4x 8GB Patriot Steel Viper 3733's to be delivered by my brother next month.

Fox2232 likes this.

16. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti Gaming X
    4500MHz All-core Manual OC on a 3900X? Yes, that's impressive. Is it CB20 or Prime stable?

17. liviut

liviut Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire TRI-X R9 290
    Honestly my cpu the 3600, it's either retard or i have no clue i put an noctua nh-u12a on it the last itineration from noctua with 2 fans and 7 heatpipes, and i said ok this one should cool the lil bastard, my god wasnt i wrong..., so prime95 small fpu - directly 95 degrees+, aida64 81-85, in games 53-60. Honestly can you help me a bit with your temps, guys who have this ryzen 5 3600 cause either im doing something wrong or i dont know, i have no overclock everything is on auto, only the ram is at 3600, the rest are stock everything.
    Btw this is with 100% fans at 2k rpm.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2019
  18. Webhiker

Webhiker Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080i SC2
    Can you post a picture of the fan mounted inside the case ?
    The Noctua NH-U12a is only 1-2 deg above the Noctua NH-D15 which is the king of aircoolers.
    So maybe, just maybe you have the fans mounted wrong.
    Have you installed Ryzen master ? Could you share a screenshot of that as well ?

19. liviut

liviut Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire TRI-X R9 290
    This 2 are with how the cooler is mounted.
    https://imgur.com/a/Z94MiYo
    https://imgur.com/a/J3m6xRl

This one is with 4 screens with PBO on and PBO off.
    https://imgur.com/a/3lqErHK

And i think i found the culprit :> it's the pbo shooting too much voltage.
    Without PBO 77 degrees on small fft on prime95.
    The settings i use for the PBO is motherboard's limits, which translates into EDC 140A, TDC 95A, PPT 125W, Scalar to 9X, and 200 mhz overclock.
    I think this was the culprit for my temps actually.
    Your opinions?

20. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT+AW@240Hz
    No, you have incorrectly installed heatsink. It should have no problem to dissipate stable 115W (Which is btw, your maximum.)
    But you should not use Scalar 9X in situation you have no thermals under control.