The AMD Ryzen All In One Tread /Overclocking/Memory Speeds & Timings/Tweaking/Cooling Part 2

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by vbetts, Sep 24, 2018.

1. liviut

liviut Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080/8GB
    Id like to ask what is the scalar about? i mean what does it do?

2. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    Awesome Pics are per usual ,HH may get jealous with the hardware pics.

I would not be the best person to ask but I will try to help.

I would see how much you could get for your G.Skill 16GB 3200MHz CL14 kit and go with a 2x16 Kit.

Now here is the question and it sounds like your not comfortable overclocking your ram at all ,so you are looking for cheap and easy at reasonable price without overclocking.
    You have to be doing other stuff than just gaming if you want 32GB Ram,is single rank or dual rank a concern.

Another thing you have to remember you only have a MSI X470 Gaming Pro Carbon motherboard which was and not as good as X570/B550 later for the memory controller but still can run 4200Mhz no problem if your board is like my MSI X470 motherboard + CPU.
    • Supports DDR4-3466(OC) Memory
    Let me know or share a little more information but as of a suggestion right now (3600MHz CL18) (2x16GB) and overclock to CL14 3600Mhz or CL16 3800Mhz if your CPU can do 1900Mhz on infinity fabric without crashing at that speed.I mean Infinity crashing games not ram errors.

I looked on newegg Canada there was this set for €180 that would work fine.Check out Sweden prices on this kit.
    G.SKILL Trident Z Neo (For AMD Ryzen) Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin RGB DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3600 (PC4 28800) Desktop Memory Model F4-3600C16D-32GTZNC
    https://www.newegg.ca/g-skill-32gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820232861?Description=ddr4 32gb cl16&cm_re=ddr4_32gb_cl16-_-20-232-861-_-Product

Last edited: Aug 27, 2019
    Netherwind and bballfreak6 like this.
  3. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega XTX LiQuiD
    AM3 and AM4 Mounting holes :p

4. Webhiker

Webhiker Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC2
    If you use Ryzen Master to monitor the CPU you will notice most of the cores go to sleep.
    So having minimum clock set to 99% means nothing.

5. Webhiker

Webhiker Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC2
    This is interesting ......
    Spent some time yesterday helping out a friend with his 3700X build.
    With Bios 0002 / 2703 and latest chipset drivers it wouldn't boost above 4280 MHz on single core.
    After flashing BIOS 2501 (C7H) and using the chipset drivers from 7/7 (v1.07.07.0725)
    it now happily boost to 4397 MHz on a single core. All core is the same.
    I don't get it. I could understand if the all core boost were lower, but single core ?

6. bballfreak6

bballfreak6 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 2070S OC
    Thanks mate! Pretty happy with the build considering I rarely ever build PC's (was coming from an ancient but serviceable 4770K lol).

Not sure if I should get some custom cable extensions lol.

7. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 Gaming X
    Thanks dude, you're a life saver.

Regarding SR or DR, I've yet to find out a good way to understand how I identify my RAM as SR or DR but if I understand correctly 4xSR is pretty much on par with 2xDR?

I don't mind overclocking RAM (it does show great promise in benches) but the problem is that I get memory errors and I don't know what to tweak in order for them to disappear. (I'll try the settings you gave me earlier once again)

I've had that kit recommended to me before and it looks great, unfortunately it's not available in Sweden yet (will be in about a month) and second problem is that my mobo doesn't show up in G.Skill QVL list. My current memory isn't officially supported by MSI but on the other hand it is on the G.Skill QVL list so maybe it would work anyway :)

8. Webhiker

Webhiker Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC2
    gupsterg from overclock.net posted a modified BIOS for C7H and C7H Wi-Fi for UEFI 2703 and 0002.
    On ROG forum : https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthre...ero-Essential-Info-Thread&p=782282#post782282
    It contains a modified SMU ( System Management Unit ) which comes from UEFI 2501
    This MOD restores the CPU boost to where it was before changes were made.
    UEFI 2703 is latest official Asus bios, 0002 is unofficial, but was posted by Shamino from Asus.

9. gerardfraser

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    Some people may disagree but here is my experience with RAM.I know there may be some people with different results.
    If ram is DDR3/DDR4 it will work in any system that supports it.I have never used the QVL list on any computer in 10+years,but it is always the safest route to go.

Example:
    I have my Intel gaming PC running actual AMD DDR3 2400 Ram when they used to sell it,got it half price compare to Intel Ram .(Works perfect)
    I have this main gaming computer running AMD 3600X with Intel Ram because it got a steal of a deal ,about half price for the 4000Mhz ram.(works perfect and overclocks past 4000Mhz better than most AMD Ryzen 3, I see out there)

Also the Ram I listed I have not tested but I would be floored if it could not hit great timings and good CL.
    Good luck but get yourself a fan and keep the temperature down on the Ram because that could cause errors also.Try to stay below around 42c on the ram.Not the 50c you mentioned ,that's just a tip and not you need a fan.

LOL It looks great as is,no harm in making it look more pretty I guess but who relly looks inside your PC anyway.Hell I got my PC hidden even with a crap ton of RBG stuff in it.

bballfreak6 likes this.
  10. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 Armor
    Ryzen used to be, at least, quite picky with RAM actually. Read: Samsung B-die.

Even first gen Ryzens got improved compatibility with AGESA updates quickly though, but RAM remained a bit of a tricky spot.

Zen+ and Zen2 were and are ofc progressively better in this regard. I suppose with Zen2 you can basically use "any" DDR4 memory now.

Still I guess old recommendation holds: single rank and single-sided for maximum compatibility.
    Otherwise consult QVL and if not picking an exact module from there, research what brand and type chips most often work and choose a kit using those.

11. Evildead666

Evildead666 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Vega64/EKWB/Noctua
    I watched buildzoids videos on Ryzen Memory Bandwidth and overclocking, and one thing he did comment heavily on was that more ranks/Banks was better (Not necessarily stable though).
    I haven't seen him elaborate more on this yet, but seeing as he has a 3600X iirc, it probably wont be too long.

12. Kool64

Kool64 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX2070S
    My garbage Hynix memory never even worked at 3200 on my 1600X but now I can run the same memory at 3333 with tighter than stock timings too.

13. Clanger

Clanger Master Guru

GPU:
    igpu
    I only buy crucial now, i refer to their compatibility thingy on occasion, ive had quite a few ddr3/4 ballistix off them and aint had a problem yet.

14. gerardfraser

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    I do not remember if I ever had any Crucial Ram but probably did.Always a good Idea to check any Qualified Vendors List ,especially if your not sure.

Clanger likes this.
  15. bballfreak6

bballfreak6 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 2070S OC
    Hahaha it sits on top of my desk right next to me with a full (granted tinted) tempered glass side panel :p

But no I think I'm gonna stay put and just enjoy the new build for what it is for a while lol.

16. gerardfraser

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    Oh your one of those weirdo's J/K :D.I actually built a desk in my wall and the computer is out of the way,so no one will ever see the inside but I really do have all kinds of things that glow in the computer.I guess it is a thing,seems like everything you buy has RGB.

bballfreak6 likes this.
  17. bballfreak6

bballfreak6 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 2070S OC
    Lol yep I got completely suckered in with this new build hahaha I actually bought the ram enhancement kit (yep come at me bro) to fill up the ram slots too sad I know lmao!

Not going to lie though that huge tempered glass side panel looks gorgeous :p

18. Clanger

Clanger Master Guru

GPU:
    igpu
    Oh dear lord :rolleyes: :D

Sweetshit, an rgb dildo

Last edited: Aug 28, 2019
    bballfreak6 likes this.
  19. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 Armor
    Maybe things have changed. AMD stated during original Ryzen launch that SR / SS is preferred. They recommended Samsung B-die in particular actually.

I think was mentioned in this video for example (skip to 3:55 for actual presentation):

Last edited: Aug 28, 2019
  20. bballfreak6

bballfreak6 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 2070S OC
    Lmao

Clanger likes this.