The AMD Ryzen All In One Thread /Overclocking/Memory Speeds & Timings/Tweaking/Cooling Part 2

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by vbetts, Sep 24, 2018.

1. Webhiker

Webhiker Master Guru

GPU:
    ASRock Radeon RX 79
    It's WiFi only for the time being. I have no idea if it would work on a regular CH VII. (not going to try)
    I'm currently using BIOS 1001 with AGESA 1.0.0.2. on my regular VII, also directly from Elmor.
    But when the 1101 becomes available for the regular VII, I will test it and report back.

chispy likes this.
  2. Webhiker

Webhiker Master Guru

GPU:
    ASRock Radeon RX 79
    Since "cheating" is still very much an issue in 3D Mark. Simply ignore comparative system scores and focus on the gains you can make on your own system.

What slots are you running the memory sticks in ? (recommended is A2 and B2 for 2 sticks)

3. Zenoth

Zenoth Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3080 12GB
    Cheating, in a benchmark software? o_O why? (it has to involve money, that's the only reason I can think of)

Anyway, so I've tested my 2933 OC with 16-17-17-35-52-1T timings in MemTest64, no errors for about 9 hours, also just finished a quick 30 minutes "general" test in Prime95. And I played Witcher 3 yesterday prior to my MemTest attempt for about 2 hours without problems. I think I do have my Memory overclock now. I'll do more testing another time only if I ever experience weird stuff in my games or my overall Windows activities. But for now all seems to be doing well. The only "problem" I do have is that my CAS Latency is stuck at 16, but I think that might just be a bug with my current (but latest) BIOS version.

As for the physical slots I'm not sure as I'm typing this, but I'll check just in case (although, for now, everything seems to work fine).

chispy likes this.
  4. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    Ok, i have stable 3500MHz CL14 2T (>1h of efford)
    Not Played any game yet ;)

Some advise?
    I know it is 4133MHz CL19 Kit 1.35mV (B-Die) so it is capable of miracles :D
    I dunno if i can go beyond 3600Mhz, but im happy with 3500 for now (ZEN2 will get to 4GHz IMO)

-> https://valid.x86.fr/ttlpgj

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 15, 2018

5. Dekaohtoura

Dekaohtoura Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6700XT SWFT
    Greetings and salutations.

New to the Ryzen train, with the exact same memory as above, on a X370 Taichi (latest BIOS) and a R1700.

Been messing with "main" timings and subs for two days now and while I've managed to boot and do some lite work even at 3000-16-18-18-54, I'm not even close to be stable.

Cold boot just fails, and mem timings revert to "safe" 2133.

Tried Thaiphoon-DRAM Calculator, but it didn't work. Set Vsoc@1.05-1.1V, didn't help. DRAM Voltage@1.38, didn't do it either (as any combination of these).

Any suggestions?

TY!

chispy likes this.
  6. Webhiker

Webhiker Master Guru

GPU:
    ASRock Radeon RX 79
    Why is it that copy bandwidth goes down when RAM speed goes up ?

7. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    Im into this also (should be ~49k-50k)
    Tweak is needed for More score.
    But in Gaming is cool, i'm not done with testing yet.

Also it's first batch (in a month i will get myself another 2x8GB to finaly have 32GB)
    and it's first Gen RyZen so no 4000MHz CL18 for me this round :D
    Here, some new Tweaks ->

[​IMG]

PS.
    Im happy with the performance (for now ;)) need to learn new RAM then i will Tweak it Moar.

Jagman likes this.
  8. Jagman

Jagman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    16GB RX6800
    ^ Nice! Especially like the FSB tweak to 105MHz :)

chispy and OnnA like this.
  9. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    Now with 1T GD (Stable)
    This is fastest (For now) and my Default right now.
    1T with GearDown is a little faster than 2T ;) (Only 1T is no go as of now, need to learn)

UPD. 2
    In AIDA Bench im 1-3Place in most of the tests.
    Gaming is more responsive & GPU is better utilised.
    Better LOWs 0.1 & 0.01 for FPS

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 16, 2018
  10. Zenoth

Zenoth Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3080 12GB
    Unfortunately, I'm not sure if any of my suggestions would apply, since your motherboard is different. Also, our power supply is probably different too (which is a component that must not be forgotten or underestimated for over-clocking), mine being a Corsair TX750. Now, with this said, I could always suggest that you do the usual 'normal' steps to start fresh:

1) First, simply reset your CMOS (don't forget to physically unplug your power supply as well before doing that, after you turn your PC off). If you have your motherboard manual it should show where the pins are located for a CMOS reset.

2) After you do that, access your BIOS, and immediately just load "Optimized Defaults", then "Save & Exit" to apply the changes (if that's how it's called for you, otherwise it's probably just 'Default' settings); prior to attempting any over-clock. So after that is done again restart the PC, and then re-access the BIOS again and from that point you can start trying your over-clocks.

3) Ok so, assuming everything was reset and then 'defaulted', you're ready to start. So, first, I'd highly recommend you isolate your component over-clocks, I.E. do them one by one. First, try the memory (I suppose anyone could try any component as a "first" attempt, if you prefer trying the CPU first then go for that). Now, in MY case, if I leave the default VSOC voltage untouched, its voltage is pretty low (lower than some other motherboards out there). I believe it's sitting at around 0.850v (it varies a bit though, but that's around the minimum it stays at). Now, again in MY case, if I leave it there and try to over-clock the memory then I CANNOT get past 2666Mhz. That's the absolute limit (for me) with a default VSoc value. To finally get my memory to 2933Mhz I had to bump the VSoc voltage by 3 increments in the BIOS, which brought it to around 1.1v (give or take something like 0.05v here and there, it varies a bit).

4) Now, as I suggested above, ISOLATE your over-clocks, which means do NOT try to also over-clock your CPU at the same time. Not because it's dangerous, but because you'll never fully find the culprit in the event of instability during your tests. If the only thing you do is over-clock your Memory first, then all you'll have to do first is to test your memory and that's it, isolate that and make it stable. And THEN, and only then you can start over-clocking the CPU (or, vice versa, whichever you want to over-clock first).

5) I don't know if it actually helped, but I also set my Loadline Calibration for both my CPU and my Memory to "Regular" in my BIOS. I haven't done that much reading on what it does, but my basic understanding is that it helps maintain stability for the voltages (I.E. the voltages fluctuate less, or something along the lines). Again, I'm not expert, don't quote me on that. But I did set those values from "Normal" to "Regular" (there's also "Medium", "Extreme" I think, and maybe another as well, but the one article I read about suggested to start with "Regular", although it was related to motherboards with the B350 chipset).

6) Now, the actual RAM voltage. The memory is rated to run "up to" 2933Mhz, at 1.35v, with timings set to 15-17-17-35-52, at 1T command rate. Now, with MY motherboard and its current BIOS for some reason my CAS Latency is actually "stuck" at 16, can't get it to 15... but anyway that's a very minor thing (and who knows, maybe having it sitting at 16 instead actually contributes with more stability; and setting that to 15 from 16 wouldn't boost any performance whatsoever, nothing would ever be noticeable... so yeah I just leave it there, not that I have a choice though). Now, keep in mind that "rated" specs on Memory is NEVER a guarantee per se (maybe you do know, but I prefer to mention it just in case; don't fight it too much either, do try sure, you paid for it and you want it to run at what Corsair says it 'can' run up to... but don't burn it either).

7) With this said, for the Memory over-clock, I would start small. Start with +1 increment on your VSOC voltage in the BIOS, just one bump (not sure if it's done the same way for you, but for me I have to set it to Offset, and then use my keyboard + or - keys to bump it up or down by specific increments). After that, set your Memory speed to maybe 2400 (or less if you have the option to go anywhere else between 2133 and 2400), and the RAM voltage to 1.30v. If it boots up, cool. If it doesn't reach Windows Desktop... something is wrong and needs bumping. This is just an example though, you don't have to follow exactly this methodology, nor the numbers per se. But you get the idea. To "start small", step by step, it's not a race and your PC won't leave your room because his people need him.

8) Now, let's say you do get an over-clock at around 2400, then test it there. Don't just immediately go for another over-clock right away. If you get it apparently "stable" enough to boot to Windows with it set at 2400Mhz, then start the tests. I highly recommend MemTest64, you can (and have to) run it in Windows itself. It will test ALL your memory (you can set it to run for hours, or indefinitely it's up to you). There's also the Prime95 test that's made mostly for Memory testing, that one is good too (I always test with both Prime95 and MemTest). A full test should last at LEAST 3 or 4 hours, non-stop. The ideal scenario is that right before going to bed you start the test and let it run over-night all the way until the next time you show up in front of your monitor and then check how it goes. If at that point there's been no errors then that "should" be it, that's your over-clock and it's stable enough (there's other tests of course, but my rule of thumb is that if both Prime95 and MemTest say it's fine, then it's fine; been doing that for years literally on many different hardware combinations and it never failed me).

9) So yeah, go small first, then try a bit more. Now, note: the VSOC voltage is NOT something to fiddle too much with. Do NOT exaggerate the voltages on that thing (there's waaaaay too much documentation on that for me to not mention it to you, it IS a risk to go too far on that specific voltage). The recommendation from most articles and guides I've read about this is to NEVER, under no circumstances over-clock that thing higher than 1.150v for 24/7 operation. Beyond that and you risk irreversibly damaging components. In my BIOS my absolute limit would be +4 increments, after that it brings the voltage too high past the "danger zone" threshold. I did try +5 increment but I saw the reported voltage when I came back to the BIOS later and I almost had a heart attack. I reduced it to +4 increments, but it was too much for my tastes. So now I'm at +3 and it's enough, my Memory is stable with that too so it's never gonna go any higher than it needs to be.

10) Finally, I know the ultimate goal here for this particular memory is to get it to 2933Mhz and don't worry I get that. I had been sitting on 2666Mhz for a full year until I finally figured out more about over-clock recently. Only one year after purchase was I finally able to set it to where it says it can be. But nowhere does it say that it is guaranteed, so I was prepared to accept that MY modules would never go any higher (which by the way IS a possibility; it is possible that you'd buy Memory that just refuses to work as high as the company says it can go; there's no such thing as "Default" 2933Mhz Memory out there unfortunately; DDR4 sits at 2133Mhz most of the time by default and that's fine in most cases). So again to repeat myself, start low, and go up the ladder step by step one thing at a time and don't rush it.

However, if bumping the Memory voltage AND bumping the VSoc voltage doesn't seem to help much then do NOT risk too much and just let it run at default speeds (side note: try NOT to go above 1.45v on the RAM voltage, mine is currently at 1.40v, I never tried anything above and in my BIOS the voltages are color-coded, it shows up as purple, beyond which it's starting to get risky; I've read articles and read reviews of people reporting "fine" over-clocks with 1.50v on the RAM but that's up to them, maybe they were lucky and got nice RAM modules... but I wouldn't dare ever setting mine beyond 1.45v ever). Beyond that, if everything seems to fail then it MIGHT be only two things that come in mind for me... 1) your BIOS just happens to not properly support THIS specific memory, it can happen and it might just be that and nothing else... and 2) your Power Supply might not be able to give enough juice where it counts (but that would surprise me, unless your Power Supply is like 10 years old or something like that).

Good luck (and be patient, that's the key).

jimpsar likes this.

11. Dekaohtoura

Dekaohtoura Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6700XT SWFT
    Steps 1-2-4, check!

3: Set it to 1.05, and left it there, to be "sure". If at some point manage to achieve overall stability, I'll start to lower voltages.

5: LLC, is set to BIOS default (5, lowest). I might at some point try to set to 3, but for now I'll leave it as it is.

6+: I think this particular mem set is rated to 3000-15-17-17-32-1T (XMP 2.0).

I've managed to make it work with something like 3000-16-17-17-35-1T, 1.05Vsoc, 1.38 VRam . To do this (about an hour after my previous post, I had to flash a newer-beta BIOS on the mobo and change some seemingly unrelated options "deep" within the BIOS options).

Stability-wise, I'm still conducting tests. I completed a 20' BF1 round (always a good stability checkpoint). 3dMark benches, AC:O, Cinebench etc all seem to run fine, but using TM5 mem stress test gives me an error upon running it.

Well, we'll see.

Thank you for your input.

chispy likes this.
  12. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    It looks like AMD Ryzen might catch up Intels IPC most likely in Zen 2 or Zen 3 , and those cpus will be supported on currently AM4 motherboards no need to buy new mobos :D a good B350 or X370 will do :).

AMD Zen 2 Offers a 13% IPC gain over current Zen+ and 16% IPC gain over Zen 1. Sources: https://www.techpowerup.com/248642/amd-zen-2-offers-a-13-ipc-gain-over-zen-16-over-zen-1 , https://mobile.twitter.com/BitsAndChipsEng/status/1052194745647165441

At this rate it is very likely that Ryzen will have IPC parity with Intel CPUs sooner than expected :eek: ! Good times ahead :D

SplashDown and Jagman like this.
  13. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    With AMD's luck they will have parity for six months and then a breakthrough tech will pop up and the rinse and repeat cycle will continue.

chispy likes this.
  14. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    Déjà vu?

chispy likes this.
  15. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    For the guys needing an upgrade or wanting to upgrade to AM4 set up Ryzen 7 2700x + Asus ROG Strix-F Gaming B-350, i will be selling one of my two R7 2700x cpus for cheap with a motherboard since i have 2 of them cpus and now i only need one for my 24/7 gaming pc. Stay tuned on the for sale section the next few days i will post pictures of the hardware and price :) , i will only sell it to Guru3D members hence why it will be priced very , very low for your convenience and to give back to the community i love. I'm keeping one 2700x and my Asus Crosshair Hero 7 X470.

One Ryzen 2700x + Asus ROG Strix-F Gaming B350 combo soon on the for sale section.

Jagman likes this.

16. Jagman

Jagman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    16GB RX6800
    Tempting but I'm skint :D oh no got that wrong :(

chispy likes this.
  17. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    chispy likes this.
  18. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
  19. SplashDown

SplashDown Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980ti Classy
    Delete ... I misread what I was posting about.

20. SplashDown

SplashDown Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980ti Classy
    Same here, I get 4.35 and my temps hit 56.

chispy likes this.