The AMD Ryzen All In One Thread /Overclocking/Memory Speeds & Timings/Tweaking/Cooling Part 2

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by vbetts, Sep 24, 2018.

1. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    AMD AGESA 1.0.0.3ABA Buggy, Company Pulls it from Motherboard Vendors

The latest version of AGESA ComboAM4 microcode that enables 3rd generation Ryzen support on AMD 400-series chipset motherboards has been deemed buggy and pulled from motherboard vendors.
    AGESA ComboAM4 1.0.0.3ABA (not to be confused with 1.0.0.3AB that's being widely distributed), was originally released to fix an application crash noticed with "Destiny 2."
    The microcode inadvertantly destabilizes PCI-Express on motherboards, with users of ASUS motherboards complaining of stability issues with the latest BIOS updates that include 1.0.0.3ABA.

Peter "Shamino" Tan from ASUS commented that the company was under a tight schedule to push 1.0.0.3ABA out as BIOS updates, and didn't have the time to properly validate it.
    "We just got told to pull (was undergoing validation prior) 1003 ABA version," he said, adding the root cause of the problem being "that PCIE speed of BXB-C downgraded from gen4 to gen2,..."
    He comments "so its not surprising that bugs emerge since the source has hidden bugs that only gets unraveled with thorough testing.
    combine that with trying to get firmwares out in a tight time frame, kinda damn if you do (release firmware quickly) and damn if you dont (dont release firmware quickly) situation."
    It's interesting to note that in their BIOS update change-logs, quite a few motherboard vendors omit the full version string of AGESA. You may encounter ComboAM4 1.0.0.3AB being referred to simply as "AGESA ComboAM4 1.0.0.3."

2. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Yeah its a bit painful lol, MSI have a mix of 1.0.0.3A and AB on the 300 and 400 parts and then have 1.0.0.3A on the 500 parts. o_O

The users on 1.0.0.3A have to adjust their memories back down to get stable
    some boards shipped with 1.0.0.3 (no a or b patches) and can't run certain ram speeds.

This has not been a great launch for Ryzen 3k, even with them being great processors otherwise.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2019
  3. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4070 ti TUF
  4. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Master Guru

GPU:
    SapphireNitro V64
    Think he was getting at them putting out crap bios updates and being ok with it. But your right could have made a thread about it.

5. Kool64

Kool64 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070
    I hope that includes the lowly B450 platform too. I’m tired of having a useless system and I’m too lazy to put my 1600x back in.

6. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2019
  7. Kool64

Kool64 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070
    haha ASRock support replied to my request last week that they wouldn't give out any but this looks promising. Thank you for posting it.

sadly it doens't work for the M version either :(

8. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
  9. Kool64

Kool64 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070
    It wouldn't be so bad if my computer wasn't completely incapacitated buy the WHEA issue.

10. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    Also many do not know that those Guys are helping AMD/Intel with information about bugs.
    Thanks to this guys (Gamer Nexus and others) work we have problems nailed in no time ;)

11. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    I'd say contact them again today and say you see they have released a b450 beta, but have a b450m that is completely incapacitated by the lack of a bios.

Yep, its always the "Fanboys" that claim others are fanboys for bringing to light issues with buggy bios or driver updates lol.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2019
  12. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    :cool:

Last edited: Jul 25, 2019
  13. Jackalito

Jackalito Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX 6800 XT
    I used to enjoy his analysis years ago, but he's been on a downward spiral over the past few months, and I wholeheartedly agree with you on your assessment.

14. Webhiker

Webhiker Master Guru

GPU:
    ASRock Radeon RX 79
    I started watching the video, but when he started rambling about the 4.6 GHz max frequency and that AMD must have forgotten about the 3950X (which isn't released yet) I stopped watching.

15. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    Did not miss much. Just stated that he can no longer trust AMD's slides any longer because marketing has too much control over them now and that he is no longer going to be reviewing AMD products any more. Basically all was summed up at the end when he stated all his reviews were going to be for patrons only. Heat got too intense and running for shelter.

16. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2019
  17. Kool64

Kool64 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070
    I loaded it on my B450M Pro4 and it fixed the WHEA issues.

Astyanax and Maddness like this.
  18. Webhiker

Webhiker Master Guru

GPU:
    ASRock Radeon RX 79
    I might end up getting mine before you .....was ordered and paid for a while ago :)
    It would be interesting to know sales figures for the 3900X. Since all the e-tailors I look at list the 3900X as either out of stock or xx on their way.
    When stores list i.e 30 on it's way in, then some hours later it says 15 on it's way in and at the end of the day it's sold out again. This has been going
    on since release. AMD must be selling everything they can produce.

19. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
  20. Webhiker

Webhiker Master Guru

GPU:
    ASRock Radeon RX 79

The 9900K upgrade path advice is ...... epic.