1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The AMD Ryzen All In One Tread /Overclocking/Memory Speeds & Timings/Tweaking/Cooling Part 2

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by vbetts, Sep 24, 2018.

1. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX GTX 1080
  2. Webhiker

Webhiker Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080i SC2
    Yes, it looks like we need a new chipset driver before the new scheduler will become active in Win 1903. I actually thought it was already enabled.

3. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    When it happens it will be nice ,I am even thinking now should I even bother trading in my 2600X for a couple FPS for 4K gaming.Good times for AMD ,gotta love it.

4. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX GTX 1080
    New bios out today for the C6H, version 7003.

No description aside from stating that it is version 7003.

5. stormy

stormy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX 570
    MSI has one dated July 3 (19.10.08), that from the looks of it has an updated Ryzen power plan in it (2.02 to 4.00). Also looks to be the onlly updated driver in it.

Edit. Just had a look at Asrock's site and they have it as well, "AMD all in 1 with VGA driver ver:19.10.08_19H1_WHQL".

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
  6. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega 64 XTX LiQuiD
  7. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega 64 XTX LiQuiD
  8. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega 64 XTX LiQuiD
    AMD gave Intel an easy time in Ryzen 3rd Gen Gaming Benchmarks

When AMD showcased their Ryzen 3rd Generation processor lineup at E3, the company revealed slides which shown performance parity with Intel in several popular titles.
    Now, it has been confirmed that AMD's testing methodology wasn't designed to get the best out of their processors.
    The opposite was true, AMD tested Intel's processors with every advantage they could, even when it came at the cost of their own system performance, at least according to Paul's Hardware.

For starters, AMD tested Intel's CPUs without software and firmware mitigations for the latest speculative execution vulnerabilities/security flaws that impact their processors.
    Doing so prevented these security fixes from reducing the performance of Intel's processors, giving their rivals a performance boost over an equivalent, secured system.

AMD also tested both sets of processors on an older version of Windows 10, which hampered their own potential performance.
    The latest version of Windows 10, which arrived with Microsoft's May 2019 update, delivered scheduler changes which enable the OS to utilise AMD's Ryzen series processors better.
    This version of the OS isn't widely used yet, so AMD opted to use the same version of the OS as their Intel-based test system, hampering their own performance in the process. More information on these OS changes is available here.

This testing methodology is designed to match those of reviewers who will opt to give Intel platform their best performance, even if it comes at the cost of platform security.
    Regardless, even with these shortcomings, AMD's Ryzen 3rd Generation processors offer exceptional levels of performance, even when placed against Intel's performance optimised platforms.

AMD's Ryzen 3rd Generation processors will release on July 7th.

Horus-Anhur likes this.
  9. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX GTX 1080
    This would mean that since they used an older build, that they were not using the new chipset driver that unlocks this improved performance from the scheduler changes. Unfortunately then it still points out then that even some of these journalists are not in the know enough to project a well informing balanced article.

Some sight's discussions state that the Intel mitigations' perceived impact is far greater than actual. One Youtuber stated that there was no performance gain from the May 2019 without the new chipset driver (jury on actual performance increase still out). Where is the truth?

I am hooked on getting one of these new CPUs (1700X needs to be passed down). Honestly though, another perspective could be that the new CPUs actually have not performed as expected and therefore the best spin they could give the actual performance was exactly as stated in the above article.

Do not understand the slide about raw memory latency. The latency results appear to be far worse than my current 1700X (65.1 @ 3480). Can one correctly infer that ram latency is meaningless from a bandwidth performance point of view? What is the actual impact latency has if these CPUs perform so much better but the latency is far worse? Should latency even be used as any kind of performance metric from this point forward? Are we seeing the exact opposite from AMD now. Phenoms had the absolute lowest ram latency results ever seen but Intel mopped the floor with them. Now latency, one could say, is abysmal but the performance is through the roof. Feel the whole latency thing is far from understood except to a few (am not one of them).

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
  10. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    lol... theres no driver, the package will just modify the ryzen balanced power profile.

11. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX GTX 1080
    If that is the case, then there is no performance uplift to speak of. therefore that article's premise is disingenuous.

12. Webhiker

Webhiker Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080i SC2
    Well, I just tried out the chipset driver v19.10.08 from the GigaByte site.
    They do install a new Balanced Ryzen Power Profile 4.0.0 or something, but I can't tell what's changed compared to the previous one.
    Benchmarks were the same .. ran 8 different apps / games before and after.

13. Webhiker

Webhiker Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080i SC2
    Maybe it will come in a later revision.

14. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070ti 2114/4375
    The driver is for Ryzen 3rd gen only, and hasn't been released yet. Basically we aren't getting any performance boosts by the looks of it.

15. Webhiker

Webhiker Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080i SC2
    To bad, all though I'm not complaining.

16. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -NDA +AW@240Hz
    I kind of did not hear a word about wddm 2.6 from which there are to be gains in this build.

He is dumb btw. Running back and fort testing by "upgrading" up and reinstalling for lower version. I would have believed he could afford 2 SSDs and have separate installations.

17. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070ti 2114/4375
    The video is about Ryzen gains, not Geforce or Radeon.
    You're also the first person I see say anything about gains from wddm 2.6.

https://www.techpowerup.com/255843/...-in-21-titles-with-rtx-2080-ti-and-radeon-vii

18. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -NDA +AW@240Hz
    I have seen more stable frametimes in here. I have always frametimes graph shown and fps limit in way that games do not have dips down.
    So, I can see where something leads to micro fluctuations. And I see much fewer of them. And I could have increased that fps limit I use due to that.

Amaze likes this.
  19. The Reeferman

The Reeferman Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 970 @ 1400 MHz
    There is a new bios for the ASRock Fatal1ty B450 Gaming K4 mobo, version 3.21. The previous 3.10(AGESA 0.0.7.2) and 3.20( AGESA Combo-AM4 1.0.0.1) versions messed up the PBO settings I read from several users so I skipped those.
    This latest 3.21 version has 2 changes listed with it:
    1.Enhance AMD XFR 2.0 function; change AMD PBO rule with Pinnacle CPU.
    2.Support SMT mode disable.
    So I expect/hope that they fixed the PBO settings that people complained about earlier. But I'll wait till I can find some posts from people that have installed it. But I couldn't find any so far. They also made similar bios updates available for other B450 and X470 boards.

https://www.asrock.com/MB/AMD/Fatal1ty B450 Gaming K4/index.asp#BIOS

20. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX GTX 1080
    Ok, just sunk in when looking at a calendar, the official launch and availability being July 7th is a Sunday. Launching a product on a Sunday...really. It is what it is.