The AMD Ryzen All In One Thread /Overclocking/Memory Speeds & Timings/Tweaking/Cooling Part 2

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by vbetts, Sep 24, 2018.

1. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    AMD Ryzen 3000 Processor Samples Clock Up To 4.5 GHz, Feature 15% Better IPC

According to the source, motherboard manufacturers have already been playing around with the AMD Ryzen 3000 CPU samples which they received earlier in Q1 2019.
    In our previous report, we also confirmed from our own sources that motherboard makers have been supplied quad-core Zen 2 CPU samples to test them with their upcoming products.
    These CPUs were early samples which were only supplied for internal testing and not necessarily indicate final retail performance or clock speeds

The report states that the samples allegedly feature a 15% boost in terms of IPC which would be a good increase over existing Zen+ based parts that already lifted the IPC by 3% over Ryzen 1st Gen CPUs.
    It is also reported that the boost frequency for these samples is reported at up to 4.5 GHz which should scale better with higher core and higher TDP parts.
    It looks like AMD would make a serious focus on the efficiency of their 7nm processors while delivering a good boost in processor performance over the last generation parts.

It is also reported that the memory controller has got an upgrade but it isn’t as significant as we had expected.
    Still, it would be nice to see Ryzen 3000 series running along well with the higher clocked DDR4 DIMM kits (4000 MHz+).
    The report also goes in line with the IPC improvements we had expected for the Ryzen 3000 series processors, coming in the 10-15% range.

AMD X570 Reportedly Offers 40 PCIe Gen 4 Lanes, No Ryzen 3000 Support on A320 Chipset

The same report also states that the X570 platform offers 40 PCIe Gen 4 lanes which would be available from the CPU and PCH.
    This means that the Ryzen CPUs and X570 PCH will split the Gen4.0 lanes over tons of I/O.
    A leaked data sheet shows that the X570 PCH is classified in the Enthusiast segment with 16 lanes dedicated to PCIe Gen 4 expansion slots (8+4+4), 8 USB 3.1 Gen 2, 4 USB 2.0, 3 SATA ports (4+4+4_ and an x4 Gen 4 PCIe Uplink port.
    The rest of the PCIe Gen 4 expansion would run over the CPU lanes.

[​IMG]

It is also said that X570 motherboards have encountered a problem with the PCIe 4.0 speeds and a new version of the motherboards are being tested right now which should be ready for launch in a couple of months when Ryzen 3000 series officially hits the market.
    While X570 is the enthusiast tier PCH, there would also be B550 casual audiences but would lack PCIe Gen 4.0 support.

2. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    Here is my settings:

cmd as admin:

bcdedit /set useplatformclock false
    bcdedit /deletevalue useplatformclock
    bcdedit /set disabledynamictick yes

In Device manager: Disable HPET
    Restart & Test.

3. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    I have 4x8 4133MHz CL19 (Also Predator, same looks)

Can do on ryZEN (1T GD on):
    3430 CL14-15-15-14
    3470 CL14-15-15-14
    3500 CL14-15-15-15
    1.38v-> 1.41v

Buildzoid extreme OC: 4022MHz CL12-11-11-11
    Not the Best of B-dies but it's very good IMhO.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2019
    Jagman and chispy like this.
  4. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV

5. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    Testing now in Gaming...
    So far BFV is stable (HBM2 Timings OC also stable)

PC is more responsive, IMO it's better now.

UPD.
    It's my new Default :D

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 3, 2019
    chispy likes this.
  6. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    So 4.5GHz Boost?
    IMhO 8/16 Zen2 will easily go up to 4.7-5.0GHz (i mean around)
    12 & 16 core parts will have a little less...

[​IMG]

Jagman, Amaze, chispy and 1 other person like this.
  7. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4070 ti TUF
    chispy likes this.
  8. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    AMD Ryzen 3000 "Zen 2" a Memory OC Beast, DDR4-5000 Possible

AMD's 3rd generation Ryzen (3000-series) processors will overcome a vast number of memory limitations faced by older Ryzen chips.
    With Zen 2, the company decided to separate the memory controller from the CPU cores into a separate chip, called "IO die".
    Our resident Ryzen memory guru Yuri "1usmus" Bubliy, author of DRAM Calculator for Ryzen, found technical info that confirms just how much progress AMD has been making.

The third generation Ryzen processors will be able to match their Intel counterparts when it comes to memory overclocking. In the Zen 2 BIOS, the memory frequency options go all the way up to "DDR4-5000", which is a huge increase over the first Ryzens.
    The DRAM clock is still linked to the Infinity Fabric (IF) clock domain, which means at DDR4-5000, Infinity Fabric would tick at 5000 MHz DDR, too.
    Since that rate is out of reach for IF, AMD has decided to add a new 1/2 divider mode for their on-chip bus. When enabled, it will run Infinity Fabric at half the DRAM actual clock (eg: 1250 MHz for DDR4-5000).

[​IMG]

This could turn into an additional selling point for AMD X570 chipset motherboards, as they'll have a memory frequency headroom advantage over boards based on older chipsets as their BIOS will include not just the increased memory clock limit, but also the divider mode.
    Of course this doesn't mean that you can just magically overclock any memory kit to these 5 GHz speeds - it's probable that only the best of the best modules will be able to get close to these speeds.

1usmus also discovered that the platform adds a SoC OC mode and VDDG voltage control.
    We've heard from several sources that AMD invested heavily in improving memory compatibility, especially in the wake of Samsung discontinuing its B-die DRAM chips.

As i said 4000MHz CL18 for my Kit is possible :p

Jackalito and chispy like this.
  9. Horus-Anhur

Horus-Anhur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 XT
    If that's really true, it's going to be very impressive stuff.

10. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    I am sure I will buy X570 motherboard for fun and 3600X/3700X to check out some games.

Hoping for DDR4 4000 kit to run on X470 Motherboard at 4000Mhz and a CPU boosting to 5.0 Ghz on one/two cores and that would be just fantastic from AMD.

So far with rumor's and talk looking good ,at least AMD fans are not over-hyping the new CPU's too much.

11. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    AMD Ryzen 3000 CPUs Can Possibly Feature Support For Up To 5000 MHz DDR4 Memory Speeds

The information comes from the author of the DRAM Calculator for Ryzen processors 1usmus or Yuri Bubliy.
    He has mentioned on his Twitter feed that the maximum value of the frequency of the AMD Zen 2 generation of processors or Ryzen 3000 series is 5000 MHz and the UCLK is half of that so it should be set at 1250 MHz effective.
    The difference between the memory clock and UCLK is that the memory clock is specific only to the internal and external memory clock while the UMC clock is specific to the unified memory controller.
    Following is a set of clock domains for Zen based Ryzen CPUs (via WikiChip):

• UClk – UMC Clock – The frequency at which the Unified Memory Controller’s (UMC) operates at. This frequency is identical to MemClk.
    • LClk – Link Clock – The clock at which the I/O Hub Controller communicates with the chip.
    • FClk – Fabric Clock – The clock at which the data fabric operates at. This frequency is identical to MemClk.
    • MemClk – Memory Clock – Internal and external memory clock.
    • CClk – Core Clock – The frequency at which the CPU core and the caches operate at (i.e. advertised frequency).
    I think it's time to start
    The maximum value of the frequency of RAM Zen 2 generation is 5000 MHz mode UCLK == MEMCLK / 2.

— Юрий (@1usmus) May 10, 2019

Now as a reference, the Ryzen 7 1700 had a core clock of 3000 MHz with 2400 MT/s memory and a UClk of 1200 MHz (600 MHz effective).
    Now the one thing to consider is that the Infinity Fabric clock is also tied to the memory clock and since Infinity Fabric cannot hit 5000 MHz, it will actually run at half the speed of the memory clock.

Now one thing to consider is while up to 5000 MHz is the maximum speed that can be achieved on the upcoming generation of Ryzen processors, not all CPUs may be able to hit those speeds.
    There are still some things to consider as currently, 2nd Generation Ryzen processors have a max speed of 4000 MHz listed but they can’t reach those speeds.
    Only overclockers might be able to hit the 5 GHz memory speed limits using LN2 but from a consumer perspective, these speeds may be far from reachable.

However, the X570 motherboards should allow for better memory clocks and support using Zen 2 processors compared to existing X470 and X370 products.
    The memory speeds supported by the new chips would indeed be better than what we got from the 1st and 2nd Gen Ryzen chips.
    That would definitely stir up some interest from the masses along with the added support for PCI-e Gen 4.0 which is something that the consumer market has been looking forward to for years now.

12. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    4000MHz RAM OC :p

[​IMG]

13. Jagman

Jagman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    16GB RX6800
    According to RedGaming Techs sources 12 core Zen 2 (Ryzen 7 3700X probably) all core clocked at 4.55GHz with single core boost to 5GHz...... :cool:

and skip to 5:36

OnnA, MaestroBayten and chispy like this.
  14. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    [​IMG]

15. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    AMD 12 Core Zen 2 Ryzen 3000 Series CPU ES Benchmark Leaked – Faster Per Clock vs Threadripper 1920X

Compare with Your CPU :p
    Keep in mind that this ing. sample is ~3.5GHz CPU.
    IPC gain will be great.

-> https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/SpeedTest/697865/AMD-Eng-Sample--2D3212BGMCWH2-3734-N

So let’s get into the nitty gritty details. It’s crucial to first point out that this is an engineering sample, and one that we have in fact seen several months back.
    Although this time it’s been paired with a new motherboard, code named AMD Qogir-MTS. It features relatively low clock speed, as expected for an engineering sample.
    Running at a 3.4 GHz base clock and a 3.7 GHz Turbo. The production units are expected to operate at significantly higher clock speeds than that.

[​IMG]

The CPU has been paired with very modest 1600 MHz DDR4 memory and a 500GB HDD. Although, that’s not really the interesting part.
    The more interesting bit is how this chip compares to AMD’s existing 12 core Ryzen Threadripper 1920X. And it’s actually slightly faster, especially at floating point operations, despite having a slightly lower clock speed and significantly lower memory bandwidth.

This clearly indicates that Zen 2 brings noticeable IPC improvements to the table, enabling the new chips to deliver better performance per clock than their predecessors.
    This, combined with 7nm’s ability to deliver even higher clock speeds than current 14nm fabrication technology means that we can expect the Ryzen 3000 series to deliver nice single threaded and multi-threaded performance improvements.

All-in-all this bodes well for AMD’s new comers, which are literally around the corner.
    This summer is shaping up to be quite an exciting one and May 27th can’t come soon enough.

16. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Is anyone else thinking of upgrading to the new Ryzen 3xxx ? Since the release is just in a few more weeks what are your thoughts and opinions.

I think i will stick to 8 cores if i update to the new generation :) , 12 cores and 16 cores might be a pita to cool we shall see soon enough :D ...

SplashDown and Webhiker like this.
  17. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    Last edited: May 16, 2019
    chispy and Jackalito like this.
  18. Jagman

Jagman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    16GB RX6800
    3600X, 8/16 for me still. Nice upgrade from my 1600X :)

chispy and SplashDown like this.
  19. Webhiker

Webhiker Master Guru

GPU:
    ASRock Radeon RX 79
    I'm upgrading my 1800X (current server rig) to an 8 Core Ryzen 2. My 2700X will be replaced by a 12 Core Ryzen 2 (most likely)
    AFAIK the TDP of the 12 core should be the same as the current 2700X so cooling shouldn't be an issue.
    But if it turns out the 12 core Ryzen 2 runs hot then I will settle for an 8 core Ryzen 2 instead of the 2700X.
    My 1800X runs on an Asus Prime X370 Pro and the 2700X is on a ROG CH7 Hero.
    I haven't decided to replace any motherboards just yet. I will wait and see how much of a difference it will make.
    The 2700X is paired with some Flare-x ram (samsung B-die) and if it turns out that it's holding the Ryzen 2 performance back,
    then I will replace that as well.

chispy and SplashDown like this.
  20. SplashDown

SplashDown Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980ti Classy
    Ditto on upgrading 2700X, but going to wait and see how things are working first such as what MB or what ram ect. I would probably stick with 8 core but again depends on my CH VII 470 and my G Skill Flare kit. And now samsung phasing out B-Die, I find that strange since thats all anyone talked about when it came to AMD compatibility. Since I'm not loaded I can't just jump in with new MB, Ram, and chip but trust me I wish I could.